Subject: Introducing my co-designer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmb
All,

I want to introduce all of you to my co-designer for Texas Arrows:

beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Many of you may recognize him for his contributions in the forums. From my point of view, he earned his way onto the design team. What he has posted publicly, actually pales to the amount of helpful things he has sent my way privately. He proofs stuff, makes suggestions, and has an incredible eye for detail. Lastly, he has a great knack for figuring out how to break a rule. For a designer, this is like a super power!

Some of you may wonder how this joint process works. I am responsible for everything in the series. I am involved in all of the decisions - partly in an effort to make the game as good as possible, but also to shepherd the system and make sure that things stay consistent, don't become unwieldy, stay clean, stay historical, etc. I exchange notes with my co-designers often as we discuss points of the design and we do research for context and to nail down points. I especially am involved in unit characteristics. In short, at this point I get to do all the fun stuff!

My co-designers contribute to all of the above, but then do all the hard and time consuming work of specific engagement research, scenario design, and playtest, playtest, playtest. A scenario can end up going through a half dozen iterations before I even get to see it.

For me, this is just about perfect. I do not think that scenario design is my strength. Plus, the additional helpers allow me to work on a number of modules simultaneously. The goal is a module every 6 months, which is an impossible thought if I am doing it on my own (I have a day job).

Beresford has been around from early on since BoB's release and has been a big help. I'm glad his module will see the light of day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Talbot
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome news, and congrats to you beresford. I always like your feed back and forum post.

Keith T
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Jim Krohn wrote:
I want to introduce all of you to my co-designer for Texas Arrows:

[avatar=beresford]

Errata 1: Replace avatar with username

beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Errata 2: Edit: Congrats Beresford. I know the quality of your posts here on the site, so can easily imagine how much you are providing to Jim behind the scenes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmb
I checked the wikiformating and I copied the use of the term avatar. The formatting doc must be out of date.

Thanks for the tip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzy┼╝ Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely spectacular choice, Jim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Curtiss
United States
Dothan
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great choice! Beresford does have a great eye for detail and can find holes in rule sets that otherwise seem very tight (like Iron and Oak). Congratulations to both of you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. Reminds me of the bit where the NFL commentator says something like 'Knowshon Moreno has not fumbled in over 200 carries', and then......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great choice! Beresford is responsible for posting something like 70% of the rules questions in the Clash of Monarchs forum (largely due to the under-developed diplomatic options). I think if there's a gray area in your rules, he'll find it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Smith
United States
Bel Air
MD - Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool. I too was always impressed when reading his posts in the SE rules forum. Funny thing is, at first I thought Beresford was just nitpicking or being overly critical, but after I read his posts I always found myself saying,"Wow, that's a great question. I never thought of that."

Congratulations Mr. Dickens. Well deserved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.