Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Eminent Domain: Escalation» Forums » Rules

Subject: Colony Ship: Where do you get the Colonies? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Cole
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules governing the Colony Ship left me unclear as to where you get the Colonies you add to the ship. Do you play them from your hand? And if so, does that mean you can't add a Colony if you're not holding one? Or do you get them from the stack of Colonize role cards?

While we're at it, am I correct in assuming that any card with a Colonize symbol can be used to represent a Colony on the Colony Ship? And that Terraforming, which has two Colonize symbols on it, can't be used in this way?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The colony ship allows you to use colony cards in the same way as warfare uses ships. You would play colony cards from you hand during the colonize roll to build up a fleet of colony ships (cards). You can then use those cards to settle any planet so you do not have to build up a specific planet. The main advantage is you can settle planets faster after a survey.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SPNSAndy wrote:
The rules governing the Colony Ship left me unclear as to where you get the Colonies you add to the ship. Do you play them from your hand? And if so, does that mean you can't add a Colony if you're not holding one? Or do you get them from the stack of Colonize role cards?

While we're at it, am I correct in assuming that any card with a Colonize symbol can be used to represent a Colony on the Colony Ship? And that Terraforming, which has two Colonize symbols on it, can't be used in this way?

"+1 Colony" on Colony ship means you are allowed to place a card with a Colonize icon (a Colonize card, or a Tech card with a Colonize symbol, including Terraforming) under Colony Ship as a free action once per turn, on your own turn.

The colonies stay there until you trigger Settle a Planet, at which time you can redistribute them (as well as other Colonies in your Empire) before flipping over a planet.

Therefore you cannot add a colony if you do not have the appropriate card in hand. You do NOT take a Colonize card from the Stacks for Colony Ship.

Terraforming has 2 Colonize symbols on it, each of which counts as a colony. You cannot split those 2 colonies up between planets because they're on the same card, but it's still 2 colonies. The game text on Terraforming only applies when using it as an Action, so redistributing the colonies from Terraforming when Settling will never result in flipping 2 planets at once.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walker
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just trying to digest the rule book here, but you can redistribute when following as well, correct? You obviously wouldn't flip the planet, but I imagine it would provide a great setup to use Improved Colonize on your next turn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jwalk40 wrote:
Just trying to digest the rule book here, but you can redistribute when following as well, correct? You obviously wouldn't flip the planet, but I imagine it would provide a great setup to use Improved Colonize on your next turn.

You can redistribute when Settling, which you generally don't do during your opponents' turn (there are exceptions to this - for example Bureaucracy).

However, you could redistribute on your turn hen you play the Improved Colonize card.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That is what I get for going off of memory before my ED:E showed up.
I has now.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cole
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that makes things clearer; thanks for the explanation, Seth.

It does surprise me, though, that the "+1 Colony" ability does allow you to place Terraforming on the Colony Ship even though that means you're adding two Colonize symbols at once; I'd think that'd make Colony Ship/Terraforming combo a little overpowered. Still, if we have Word of Seth on the matter,...

Anyway, thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Tan
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hi! First time posting, this is pretty exciting.

Eminent Domain is one of my favourite games of all time. I have a quick question on the this card.

If I have two colony symbols under a 4 colony requirement planet, and 2 in my Colony Ship stack, can I settle and redistribute the 2 ships to the 4 planet in one action, or do I need to have four symbols already under the planet and then I can redistribute those 2 on the Colony Ship card to another planet?

Thanks!
4 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Tan
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
And then I found the answer in another thread that is clearly labeled. Thus do I introduce myself to the BGG community as an imbecile.

Hello everyone!
7 
 Thumb up
3.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martti R
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
badge
Rock'n'roll
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
SPNSAndy wrote:
The rules governing the Colony Ship left me unclear as to where you get the Colonies you add to the ship. Do you play them from your hand? And if so, does that mean you can't add a Colony if you're not holding one? Or do you get them from the stack of Colonize role cards?

While we're at it, am I correct in assuming that any card with a Colonize symbol can be used to represent a Colony on the Colony Ship? And that Terraforming, which has two Colonize symbols on it, can't be used in this way?

"+1 Colony" on Colony ship means you are allowed to place a card with a Colonize icon (a Colonize card, or a Tech card with a Colonize symbol, including Terraforming) under Colony Ship as a free action once per turn, on your own turn.


Wow. I'm glad we only played four games wrong before reading this.
We took the Colonize card from the central supply (and that's WRONG, just to be clear).

One for the FAQ please! meeple
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ElectricLeo wrote:
And then I found the answer in another thread that is clearly labeled. Thus do I introduce myself to the BGG community as an imbecile.

Hello everyone!

For completeness' sake, it was this thread:
Colony Ship: Redistribute before or after colonizing?

Welcome to the world of posting on BGG!
(We're all mad, here.)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.