104 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: FFG planning to remove support for 3rd party apps like OCTGN rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Waste MaLife
msg tools
So some of you know the website CARDGAMEDB.COM .. anyway it was recently bought by FFG and not much had changed until suddenly OCTGN export function from the online deck editor was removed. People were all like WTF and then FFG gave a response and turned back on the deck exports.

Quote:
Fantasy Flight Games is currently reviewing our policy regarding third-party online digital platforms that make use of the intellectual property associated with our products. We are committed to finding a solution that is both good for our player base, while not infringing upon anyone's intellectual rights whether for proprietary or licensed IPs.

We expect our players support the need to protect the intellectual property rights of both FFG and our partners. We have returned the OCTGN export feature to Cardgamedb.com for the time being, as we continue to review.

This is really good news imo. With luck it will mean that FFG will be looking into a official application to play LCGs on. In the short term OCTGN will be shut down for FFG game, but that is no loss assuming FFG do get their own app running.

To be honest I am shocked this hasn't happened sooner... a digital game is just a license to print money.

Either way... looks like OCTGN days are numbered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Burkhead
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
This seems likely from their response. They might also offer a limited licensing agreement to OCTGN's creator in the interim. They would not need to charge for it, or at least not much. It would protect them legally, not from OCTGN, which I suspect does not worry them, but someone else less scrupulous down the road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're jumping to conclusions. Methinks you're too eager to have some sort of schadenfreude but it's premature. We do not know at all what this means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that OCTGN is the easiest way for me to find opponents to play against. If FFG managed to close down OCTGN A:NR, I would stop buying cards. I currently have bought each datapack to help support A:NR as I enjoy the game.

I hope someone at that company realises that OCTGN is helping A:NR spread and grow in popularity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
w/e OCTGN is a pile of shit.. we only use it out of necessity. Sooner they shut it down and create something good and official the better as far as I am concerned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waste MaLife
msg tools
Kandiru wrote:
I know that OCTGN is the easiest way for me to find opponents to play against. If FFG managed to close down OCTGN A:NR, I would stop buying cards. I currently have bought each datapack to help support A:NR as I enjoy the game.

I hope someone at that company realises that OCTGN is helping A:NR spread and grow in popularity.

I think they are aware of it for sure. This is why this is good news. I mean we all want a digital platform, but OCTGN doesn't have to be it. If there was an official one, wouldn't you just use that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DayinDaLife wrote:
w/e OCTGN is a pile of shit.. we only use it out of necessity. Sooner they shut it down and create something good and official the better as far as I am concerned.

You're being far too complimentary to OCTGN. If it weren't such a massive pain to build a mod it would actually be a much better play experience just to create all the cards in VASSAL and use that to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having a Netrunner clinet like MTGO would be insanely amazing and also an easy way to draft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope they launch their own platform to play Netrunner online soon. I feel if they do this right they would not even have to shut down OCTGN Netrunner - the bar to simply win by being better is not set very high - probably due to OCTGN being a generic platform not working particularly well with Netrunner ruleset.

I have experience of playing 3 card games online. OCTGN Netrunner, Goko Dominion (widely known from numerous bugs and server issues) and Gempukku LotR TCG (a game featuring over 2000 cards coded from scratch by a single developer in his free time). Out of those three, Netrunner is by far the worse, as it is the only one where playing a game does not take significantly less time than playing a game using physical cards. There are so many things a Netrunner-dedicated interface could improve which I guess Db0 cannot fix due to OCTGN limitations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lech Karol Pawłaszek
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DbZer0 wrote:
You're jumping to conclusions. Methinks you're too eager to have some sort of schadenfreude but it's premature. We do not know at all what this means.

This. We don't know what FFG plans are. It might be some kind of gaming platform in the distant future. Or not.

Another thing came to my mind. Is netrunnerdb a "digital platform"? Because it uses FFG's IP. It would make me sad panda if nrdb had to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So many haters in here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ikex wrote:
DbZer0 wrote:

This. We don't know what FFG plans are. It might be some kind of gaming platform in the distant future. Or not.

Another thing came to my mind. Is netrunnerdb a "digital platform"? Because it uses FFG's IP. It would make me sad panda if nrdb had to go.

Shutting down netrunnerdb is easy. All you need to do is announce is announce another US only Plugged-In tour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like playing testing decks on oct.
I like physical cards.
I like playing people at midnight at home online.
I like playing on games night and local tournys at the local shop
I really hope both will continue to coexist

personally i'd like a ultraviolet type system, that DVD/Blu ray has,
buy a physical pack and get a code to unlock the card online,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maybe Next Time
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
WasteMaLife wrote:

I think they are aware of it for sure. This is why this is good news. I mean we all want a digital platform, but OCTGN doesn't have to be it. If there was an official one, wouldn't you just use that?

I think everyone's there. What none of us want though is to be stuck in Limbo of no online play (if there was any form of an FFG ban to 3rd parties), while the official version comes, if it ever comes at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
DbZer0 wrote:

Well since computer programs make and maintain themselves automatically (on top of being extremely easy to make) naturally there are bound to be haters. Any computer program that doesn't translate your thoughts into babes, crack and money is a steaming pile you know.

Yes I'm being sarcastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Burkhead
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
I'm neither here nor there, as I simply can't use OCTGN now, and unless FFG releases a phone app version won't be able to play online later. I play offline as much as I can. Still, as a fan of the game I support its health an online play could only increase the games player base. If they must kill OCTGN (and I don't think they do) I hope it is only to replace it with something better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ideally all they would do is make OCTGN redundant through making something better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DbZer0 wrote:

Man, it's not about hating, and especially not about hating on you (not sure if you meant this). I appreciate what you do, I play on OCTGN a lot, but it has many limitations, which were best shown in the ski instructor meme you posted after Mala Tempora came out. A platform that supports multiple games will never support all of them really well, that's why I would like a platform dedicated to Netrunner to come out, and I feel the only way for this to happen is official FFG release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gin Teki
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Good on FFG for replacing the OCTGN function on cardgamedb.com. That's entirely reasonable of them. More props to DBzero for his time and effort for such an excellent platform to play Netrunner on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cranium Junker wrote:

FFG taking over cardgamedb was awesome. They seem to be ironing out the problematic bugs that the previous site architect behind. I wonder how much he sold his site for? I bet he did ok ;)

Darksbane still maintains the site. And I doubt the price was life changing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we get the original topic changed to a more accurate version? It calls for unnecessary paranoia/riot. It's not even remotely true, as FFG was never supporting OCTGN, so they cannot remove support for something they never had in the first place.

We don't even know if that "statement" is an official stance. FFG has the policy of not posting on forums, so they what, issued a "statement" in an email to Darksbane to post it deep in one certain topic? That's not how you do things, so I think it's just better to wait for more.

"FFG is reviewing their stance on third-party online digital platforms" seems about right to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If OCTGN went away and got replaced by an official platform that would be great. Then maybe we could get proper support for Mac & Linux and I'm sure their client would be much nicer.

FFG also has iOS developers, just saying… Portable LCGs would be awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
We don't even know if that "statement" is an official stance. FFG has the policy of not posting on forums, so they what, issued a "statement" in an email to Darksbane to post it deep in one certain topic? That's not how you do things, so I think it's just better to wait for more.

It is their official announcement. The statement is in an announcement topic that shows on the top of every forum on cardgamedb. I just copied it to the appropriate thread in the forum also because my announcements don't allow comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I don't doubt it came to you directly from someone at FFG. I'm just a bit surprised that all this happens somewhat "behind the curtain". I don't think folks at FFG know precisely how they want to communicate from now on, using channels different than their own page. I suppose it will take time until they establish proper channels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sozin sky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regardless of what happens, we all owe a debt of gratitude for the work Db0 did on his fantastic work on OCTGN A:NR. I had three great, seamless games last night against a really cool opponent, after each game we had a great discussion about the strategy and tactics of our respective decks, and when I shut down for the night I thought "Man, it is so great that I can play this wonderful game on-line."

Thank you Db0 for everything you've done.

If things move over to an official FFG platform, then I think its a safe bet to say that the success of that platform was ultimately due in a large part to the work one one dedicated, unselfish individual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.