Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Misc [+] [View All]
Jesse M
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Saracenus wrote:

That's why I put E3 Implants into my deck, they make Bioroids laughable to break and they can reduce the cost of Knight breaking multiple subs.

But what do you cut? The deck is already squeezed tightly for space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Awesome
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Can't read my POKAH FASE
mbmbmbmbmb
Spags' list won me a store championship today without any testing before the event. It was great, even though I never saw any of my 3 knights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
spags
United States
Ill Mil
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went undefeated with it again today. Saw two other (out of twelve players) running a similar build. Super hot right now.

Prepare for some meta backlash. (Not sure what, but I think H-B, primarily heavy/big ICE/bioroids, are a terrible matchup)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Always be running!
mbmbmbmbmb
GJ m8!

Maybe you will be the reason that HB makes a come back.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse M
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Keggy wrote:
Spags' list won me a store championship today without any testing before the event. It was great, even though I never saw any of my 3 knights.

Congrats. A good deck can win consistently without seeing certain cards. One of the reasons I like playing Gabe so much.

spags wrote:
I went undefeated with it again today. Saw two other (out of twelve players) running a similar build. Super hot right now.

Prepare for some meta backlash. (Not sure what, but I think H-B, primarily heavy/big ICE/bioroids, are a terrible matchup)

Yup. I'm very afraid of the HB matchup. Multi-subroutine ice and tons of asset drip econ is the kryptonite to this deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Loyd
United States
Owasso
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many people were at your store championship Scott?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
spags
United States
Ill Mil
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only 12. 4 rounds, cut to top 4.

Apparently, there was another SC the same day in the other side of Chicago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Blumklotz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jerklin wrote:
Yup. I'm very afraid of the HB matchup. Multi-subroutine ice and tons of asset drip econ is the kryptonite to this deck.

And you should be, both my match ups against HB:EtF at my Store Championship yesterday were a disaster. Mistake one was betting on an NBN dominate meta and taking out 1 of my 2 E3 implants. In both match ups, my AS were burried in the deck and I didn't see a single one for both games, nor did I find my singleton E3 (sigh).

Game one was a 7-0 blow out, Game two the next round was a 8-5 nail biter that I clawed my way to match point (hint, I used Inside Job 6 times that game).

Not being able to drain EtF's economy kills you dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spags wrote:
Gabriel Knight - Shadow Hunter

Icebreaker (11)
3x Faerie (Future Proof)
1x Femme Fatale (Core Set)
1x Mimic (Core Set)

I've just recently become interested in Criminal (after playing Shaper extensively), and saw spags' build. I have a few questions, which I'd love to get some insight on! I'm still fairly new to the game, so I apologize if these are rudimentary!

1) Woah, sentries! Out of 11 icebreakers in the deck, 5 of them are killers. Assuming we are Special Ordering, can someone explain when you might want to tutor for each? I realize Fairies are one-shots, but (again, coming from Shaper), I'm more used to installing a breaker and being able to rely on it more than once. Against which ICE would you justify Femme for, rather than just using Knight?

2) I notice that there is no way to retrieve anything from the heap if it has been trashed. Does this cause concern? (especially with only 1 decoder in the deck) - I realize that this is probably the reason to run so many killers, but I imagine Power Shutdown can cause some problems.

3) Economy: Why run Armitage instead of, say, Bank Job, Daily Casts, or Kati Jones?

4) No Lawyer Up? Since some of the econ is resource dependent, how much effort do you put into tag removal? With all of the tag 'n bag decks in play at the moment, it would seem like not doing tag removal after an Account Siphon would be problematic for this deck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott West
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmb
Twitch_City wrote:
spags wrote:

Icebreaker (11)
3x Faerie (Future Proof)
1x Mimic (Core Set)

I've just recently become interested in Criminal (after playing Shaper extensively), and saw spags' build. I have a few questions, which I'd love to get some insight on! I'm still fairly new to the game, so I apologize if these are rudimentary!

1) Woah, sentries! Out of 11 icebreakers in the deck, 5 of them are killers. Assuming we are Special Ordering, can someone explain when you might want to tutor for each? I realize Fairies are one-shots, but (again, coming from Shaper), I'm more used to installing a breaker and being able to rely on it more than once. Against which ICE would you justify Femme for, rather than just using Knight?

2) I notice that there is no way to retrieve anything from the heap if it has been trashed. Does this cause concern? (especially with only 1 decoder in the deck) - I realize that this is probably the reason to run so many killers, but I imagine Power Shutdown can cause some problems.

3) Economy: Why run Armitage instead of, say, Bank Job, Daily Casts, or Kati Jones?

4) No Lawyer Up? Since some of the econ is resource dependent, how much effort do you put into tag removal? With all of the tag 'n bag decks in play at the moment, it would seem like not doing tag removal after an Account Siphon would be problematic for this deck?

1) Femme is good for an advanced Hadrian's Wall that Knight just can't break, as well as Janus 1.0 and Wotan. However, if your opponent has any of those, things have gone more than wrong already. More realistically, Femme is useful for Tollbooth, or potentially Heimdall 1.0, Ichi 1.0 or 2.0 or even something like Viper. Anything with multiple subroutines is a headache for Knight, and if it's out of Yog.0/Mimic range, it's a good Femme target.

2) Yep. Power Shutdown can hurt this deck if you're unprepared. Faerie can help here, but the single decoder can be rough when you lose it to damage. Knight does a lot of the code gate breaking here, so you're not totally hooped if you lose Yog.0

3) Armitage is a good recovery tool and cash burst tool. You drop it and click three times, which leaves only 6 cred on it, and thus it's a marginal trash target for a corp that has you tagged, but it's bad news for them if they let you keep the monty. Kati is too much of an ongoing cost in order to be effective here, especially when clicks are being spent moving knight around to facilitate runs. (Anecdote: I've been considering Bank Job lately, with the upswing in HB asset economy I've seen recently.)

4) This is straight up tag-me. Weyland is the only corp that I much consider purging tags against.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
spags
United States
Ill Mil
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twitch_City wrote:
spags wrote:

Icebreaker (11)
3x Faerie (Future Proof)
1x Mimic (Core Set)

Cheers, and welcome! I am currently undefeated in two Store Championships with this deck. Let's break it down.

Twitch_City wrote:

Yeah, sentries. See, Gabe is meant to be fast. REALLY fast. In-and-out, quick-like-a-bunny, all-that-jazz fast. Hence, the 3 Sneakdoors, as he wants unmitigated HQ access early/often. Also, note the 3 Same Old Things. This deck wants to be able to Siphon up to six times.

Early Siphons are crippling. 3 Knights allow that access. However, the other breakers are minimal in number, and fragile. Faerie pulls many duties: she's cheap, she allows early face-plants that are care-free from Destroyers.

I Special Order for Corroder, Mimic, and Yog, usually the last two, as they're one-ofs. It really depends on the ICE I'm facing, and how my Knight situation is.

As you can see, the only Decoder is Yog. Therefore, due to the lack of a crutch card like Datasucker, any serious problem Code Gate above 3 STR needs help. Hence, Femme. She's perfect for the problem Tollbooth, or other nasty ICE as noted by the other poster.

Twitch_City wrote:

I have never had a concern. Shutdown is probably the biggest fear. Thankfully, Knight and Faerie will save Corroder's ass from getting nuked, due to their cost. Mimic is not totally necessary, but is a great meta call against Caduceus and other cheap, problem Sentries (see: Fenris, any Jintei sentry) that would be expensive for Femme to take care of.

Decoders are not widely seen, and Yog takes care of the ones primarily run. Viper, RSVP, etc. can be problems, but can also be walked through, under the right circumstances. (see: the Corp has no creds) Knight can jump around, jump around, and take care of real Code Gate headaches. If they trash the ICE to 'kill' Knight, a real win for you.

Twitch_City wrote:

Deck doesn't need a lot of econ, but occasionally will hit a lull, need a quick fix, get shutdown temporarily, etc. Casts, Kati, etc. will not survive tag riding AT all, which this deck can/will do frequently. Armitage is one of the cheapest shots in the arm; a temporary Magnum Opus for a cred. Yeah, it's click intensive. So what? The beauty of ANR is that one is free to take a turn however one wants. If Armitage allows you to build to another Siphon run, awesome. If you're tag riding, you can drop and pull 3 times. Does the Corp want to trash it for a click and 2 creds against Gabe?!? Please, do! In essence, they've only 'killed' 3 creds for their spending of 2 and a click, as you can always just click for 3 creds.

Twitch_City wrote:

The Resources aren't meant to last. If I drop a SOT early, it will start to instill fear, and save me a click later. Mid-to-late game, the Resources are dropped and immediately used (usually), especially if I'm riding tags.

Lawyer Up is a neat card, but is a combo-ish card. This deck ain't got time to bleed, and it SURE as Hades doesn't have time to combo.

If you have No Fear , and want a Tier 1 deck that will blaze most opponents into the ground by turn 10, this is it. Keep the Corp poor, make smart runs (don't foolishly force them to rez ICE; you can Siphon them out, and THEN run), and finish with an Indexing if needed.

I know, there are many 'holes' to this deck: no card draw, minimal breakers, zero Program recursion, only 2 Plascrete, 1 dig card. Trust me: it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both so much for your replies! They were extremely insightful, and I'm really excited to try out the deck.

Another quick question: I'm really used to installing on the fly (initiate runs against unrezzed ICE, then use SMCs and Clone Chips to build my rig in response to what gets flipped). Obviously, our only tutor here can't do that.

Is it common in this archetype to run into unrezzed ICE before allocating resources to installing icebreakers? Or are there some that you would install first if they were in your hand before facechecking anything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
spags
United States
Ill Mil
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You face check ALL the time naked, unless you're worried about something like Neural Katana. Then, run with a Faerie out; she's your body guard.

Mimic is a good guardian, as is running on the first click for Ichis. Basically, Mimic and early runs can handle most destroyers and AP. Faerie handles harder hitters like Grim and Archer.

Learning how to run without a recursion safety net is definitely a different way to play. Luckily, you have a ton of lovely tools to assist you: Femme, Knight, Econ denial, Shutdown, etc.

Don't take Shutdown lightly. It's one of your biggest tools. In 10 SC games with this, I've used SOT for Shutdown at least 3 times. Considering that SOT is usually reserved for Siphon exclusively, that's high praise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corwin David
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spags wrote:
You face check ALL the time naked, unless you're worried about something like Neural Katana. Then, run with a Faerie out; she's your body guard.

Mimic is a good guardian, as is running on the first click for Ichis. Basically, Mimic and early runs can handle most destroyers and AP. Faerie handles harder hitters like Grim and Archer.

Learning how to run without a recursion safety net is definitely a different way to play. Luckily, you have a ton of lovely tools to assist you: Femme, Knight, Econ denial, Shutdown, etc.

Don't take Shutdown lightly. It's one of your biggest tools. In 10 SC games with this, I've used SOT for Shutdown at least 3 times. Considering that SOT is usually reserved for Siphon exclusively, that's high praise.

I would agree about Emergency Shutdown. That card is as good if not better economy control than account siphon, although it depends much more on the situation. The awesome feeling of shutting down a Tollbooth with a same old thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yi Sheng Siow
msg tools
i played knight gabe with 2 knights at store championship(42 people in SG) and lost 3 out of 8 runner games.

1 to biotic twiy, who got 2 biotic astros out, 1 breaking news, and i couldn't find enough agendas with 3 indexings(2 from same old thing).

1 to a cheater.

1 in elimination round against FA HB with eves, who needed 5 points to win. i couldn't find faerie, so had to charge up datasucker on one of the 3 centrals to get my mimic ready to fight grim, unfortunately, bumped into rototurret and got my only yog trashed.

i happened not to play against any of the weylands/GRNDLs(~30% of the field).

overall, knight was just fine. sometimes, i wished it was maker's eye, sometimes i wished it was indexing, sometimes i wished it was deja vu, but overall it felt adequate. thanks indalamar!

disclosure: i have lots of experience with hoobajoo scumbag gabe. but it was my first time running knight gabe IRL, and i didn't practise much with it before the SC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Gerding
Poland
Łódź
łódzkie
flag msg tools
Offering reviews, rulebooks, editing, playtesting, and Polish translation. PM me for details.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
siowy wrote:

1 to a cheater.

????? Explain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yi Sheng Siow
msg tools
no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a bad case of sour grapes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yi Sheng Siow
msg tools
i won against the cheater in elimination, more fortunate than an unlucky friend who got bumped from top 8 because of his dishonest activity.

i just don't want to be the one who ruins him. when i see him at events in the future, i will get the organiser to have someone watch over him, deck check him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why next time? If you suspect someone of actually cheating the TO should be immediately informed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yi Sheng Siow
msg tools
i've pm-ed you. let's not derail this knight gabe thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Raz
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
siowy wrote:
i've pm-ed you. let's not derail this knight gabe thread.

You don't have to call the guy out by name. We are just curious how He cheated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Raz
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a new version I'm considering testing.

Blackmail and Stimhack are there for surprise. Stimhack can really do a number on the corp if they think your out of money. And I want to try Blackmail out because bad pub seems like its entering the meta more and more. Why not really punish the corp for it. I think it might be especially effective against Weyland who might have one remote with big unrezed ice(s), money to rez the ice(s), and also has a good chance at having bad pub. It also might really shock HB with their giant ICE forts. I don't know about everyone else, but in my meta the corp usually doesn't bother removing bad pub. At least not yet.

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Android: Netrunner Deck Builder

Identity:
Gabriel Santiago: Consummate Professional (Core)

Total Cards: (45)

Event: (23)
Account Siphon (Core) x3
Emergency Shutdown (Cyber Exodus) x3
Forged Activation Orders (Core) x2
Inside Job (Core) x3
Special Order (Core) x3
Stimhack (Core) x1 ■
Sure Gamble (Core) x3
Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control) x3
Indexing (Future Proof) x1 ■■■
Blackmail (Fear and Loathing) x1

Hardware: (5)
Desperado (Core) x2
Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead) x3

Program: (12)
Faerie (Future Proof) x3
Femme Fatale (Core) x1
Sneakdoor Beta (Core) x3
Corroder (Core) x1 ■■
Knight (Mala Tempora) x3 ■■
Yog.0 (Core) x1 ■

Resource: (5)
Same Old Thing (Creation and Control) x2
Armitage Codebusting (Core) x3

Influence Values Totals -
Anarch: 10
Criminal: 62
Shaper: 3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hopkins
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is funny, I slipped a Blackmail into my Gabriel Knight deck the other day as I had a spare deck slot I didn't know what to do with! I always seem to be running with bad pub these days, Gabe often has as much money as he needs at his fingertips so people seem cavalier about it against him. It's another event you can grab with SoT too if needs be (if the Corp isn't running bad pub, losing one card in a deck isn't too much of a hit).

Interested to see how it works out for you, I'll give a it a few games and see how it plays for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Raz
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
unitled wrote:
This is funny, I slipped a Blackmail into my Gabriel Knight deck the other day as I had a spare deck slot I didn't know what to do with! I always seem to be running with bad pub these days, Gabe often has as much money as he needs at his fingertips so people seem cavalier about it against him. It's another event you can grab with SoT too if needs be (if the Corp isn't running bad pub, losing one card in a deck isn't too much of a hit).

Interested to see how it works out for you, I'll give a it a few games and see how it plays for me.

I see it as a way to attack a remote mid to late game. Early game you will be attacking central servers over and over. If they happen to get an agenda down behind a big remote (and they have bad pub), you just get right in. And you're right, its just one card. I probably wouldn't put more in unless I was actively trying to give the corp bad pub. And yeah, SOT lets you use it again if you want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [6] |