Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a new player, and a completionist, assuming I like the game, what should I do about all the expansion packs?

Each 'cycle' looks like it's about $70 worth of cards, and there are 7 or 8 cycles. Are some more rare than others? Are they being combined and re-released as full sets? Just curious how to spend my gaming budget.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no "rarity" issues (i.e. designed scarcity of some cards vs. others) but there are availability considerations. Some of the Asylum Packs are out of print and forecast (still "in development") for Q1 reissuance this year. Two of the boxed expansions are due for reprints, one with an edit.

Unless you're in a terrible panic to attain completion, I'd recommend that you buy expansions according to availability and your own immediate interests, without paying any premiums for ones that might be out of print at the moment, since the intention is for them to come back around.

ETA: There has been periodic speculation about the idea of combining Asylum Packs into new boxed expansions, but the card counts make that unlikely, and there's been no affirmative signal that FFG is considering it. To the contrary, they continue to project reprints of the individual packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's kind of my plan, but say I see "Forgotten Lore" and "The Dreamlands", but can only afford one cycle. Which should I get? Or should I bite the bullet and snatch up both?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dreamlands is the only one you shouldn't get right now. Many years ago FFG used to release 40 card packs with 3x10 "Commons" and 1x10 "Rares". This was right after they invented the LCG concept and were still sort of figuring things out.

Anyway, all the old cycles have been re-released in a 60 card format with 3x of all 20 cards *except* the Dreamlands cycle. These are on the schedule to be reprinted coming up so just wait for the updated versions.

Personally, I would recommend getting some of the boxed expansions first, you get more cards per buck that way. Look at Secrets of Arkham (just got reprinted) and Terror in Venice.

But if you do want to get some Asylum packs I would probably start with The Yuggoth Contract. Forgotten Lore was the first cycle and I think is less refined than some of the later ones. Still worth getting eventually, but it can be a little later on.

The Shifting Sand pack is another good one because it has the current set of Story cards in it. This is part of the Ancient Relics cycle.

Note also that you don't have to buy full cycles at a time. It's perfectly valid to just jump around buying individual packs from different cycles that have certain cards you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Forgotten Lore and Dreamlands cycles are early ones that were originally issued in a 40-card format that included 1x of some cards and 3x of others. All the current prints are 60 cards, 3x of all. Most players will advise against buying the 40-card packs, although I've been happy enough to snag a few (at cheap prices) for the Summons of the Deep and Dreamlands cycles.

Forgotten Lore has already been reissued in the 60-card format, but the Dreamlands packs are the only ones that haven't.

Another note: While there are some themes and mechanisms developed through a cycle, any of the packs are pretty good on their own, and Forgotten Lore and Summons of the Deep packs are particularly independent of their respective cycles.

And last: The first four Asylum Pack cycles lack Silver Twilight faction cards, which is maybe good if you don't have the Silver Twilight expansion box, or bad, if you have it and you're trying to flesh out that faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.