Subject: Why more CCA battles online? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

I think C&C Napoleonics have a good success (even if only inside the wargamer world) with both new players and players who used to play the Ancients version.

So I was expecting to see on Vassal online the number of CCN players slowly increase, reach and why not double the number of CCA players.

But even after a few years I only see CCA players battling on Vassal!?! The CCN players and sessions staying very rare!

Do you have any idea why?

1) CCA being still much more played than CCN?
2) The Vassal system becoming out of fashion?
3) The CCN players finding more live partners?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3 - I have more live partners for C&C:N than I have time for games.

As a result I haven't used Vassal yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rodrick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The real question is: what kind of insight or data led you to believe that a game released later would outdo a very, very successful game that took advantage of the system in so many ways?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a regular opponent and also play solo. I've invested heavily in the C&C stable and no need to spend more time / money on using vassal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should have made a pool like this:

Poll
Why is there still much more CCA players than CCN on VASSAL?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
CCA is still much more popular
75.0% 15
CCN players find easily live players
20.0% 4
The new players don't know VASSAL
15.0% 3
VASSAL is out of fashion now
5.0% 1
Other ...
10.0% 2
Voters 20
This poll is now closed.   20 answers
Poll created by GGleize
Closes: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Laporte
France
Limeil-Brevannes
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
To me, I'm primarily interested in playing live opponents which I find in my gaming circle, even if few people are interested in the napoleonic period. But I try to get them interested and I did not have one person until then who disliked playing C&C Napoleonics.

One of them even liked the game so much that he has acquired... C&C Ancients!

About Vassal, I have installed it as I had some ideas (the campaign one) linked to it but I'm not very interested in playing online. Sorry GGleize as I know you love that. But who knows, maybe there'll be more playing it when the new expansions are released?

CCA is probably more popular because it's older, so it had time to acquire a fanbase and the period also has a lot of charm.

I'll keep trying to expand the C&CN base though, as my favorite period is the napoleonic one and I find 99% of the rules suit well the period (ok, except for short supply and the weird "bounce flag = no combined arms", but I'm nitpicking ) and the games are very fun.

One last little thing GGleize, it's poll, not pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games have excellent Vassal modules and it's a fine format to supplement live play….provides more opportunities to play a far greater variety of different people across the world with different play styles.

I'm not aware of any difference in the number of people playing either Vassal module, or how you would have come to that conclusion…and I'm not sure that it matters.

Brent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yop:

To be clear: I ALSO PREFER PLAYING LIVE AND I DO IT A LOT!

It's just some rainy night with no one around to play live that I check VASSAL where I regulary find at 10:00 PM France something like:

3 players on Vassal CCA
0 players on Vassal CCN

That's why I asked the question.
Thank you all for the poll votes & answers

For the rest: Everything is OK and I enjoy tonight my live victory with the allies at Bussaco Reynier!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just dl vassal and would enjoy playing sometime. Not easy to get live games out here due to work and family schedules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Brad,

We are currently getting an online tournament underway, which mainly provides an opportunity to play a variety of opponents online, and have some fun. Bit of a test of skill (and luck).

Players are from around the globe, primarily North America and Europe, but also Australia and sometimes Hong Kong or Singapore. This can be a challenge to schedule sometimes, but generally matches can be arranged, and the tournament usually has a duration of 1 week per match, plus a spare week or so. So 5 matches over 6-7 weeks.

Signup is here
http://www.ccnapoleonics.net/index.php?option=com_kunena&vie...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.