Zaid
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's been a while since I've posted in here. I've gotten the ropes on which games to pick up and what my general tastes is. But lately I've been having a hankering for something different.

I've been looking at Chicago Express and Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar. I would also be considering Suburbia, but since my order is through CSI, they don't seem to have in stock.

Lookin for:
Intuitive rule set, doesn't have to be simple as much as it just flows.
Engaging, depth.
Player interaction, competitive, etc.

Spots to fill:
Euro game
Bidding, stocks(Chicago Express)

Favorite Games:
Space Alert
Summoner Wars
Resistance
Android Netrunner
Stone Age & Macao (Stone Age could benefit being a bit meatier.)
Dominant Species (Though hard to get to the table due to heaviness.)
Rex: Fall of an Empire
Betrayal at House on the Hill (though it's a bit too light.)

Oh, last request, something preferable around or under two hours.

[Edited: Edited to make more of as a list.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S.
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Chicago Express, Tzolk'in--Looking for a deep, engaging game with a simple ruleset.
Tzolk'in will feel fairly straightforward when you're playing but it definitely doesn't have a "simple ruleset", and will take a bit of time to teach.

Chicago Express is a good choice in meeting your requirement - also take a look at American Rails and choose one between the two as they are very similar. American Rails is slightly longer, has a variable setup, and has a unique turn order mechanism. It was recently printed in an actual game box by Quined Games in Europe, but you can find imported copies over here and everything is language independent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Chicago Express, Tzolk'in--Looking for a deep, engaging game with a simple ruleset.
I love Tzolk'in and will play it whenever it is offered. But I think the only player number to consider is four. Fewer than four players means you have to add dummy markers to the gears. If you're playing with three, you add six dummy markers; if playing with two, you have to add TWELVE! dummy markers. And those markers stay in place for the whole game, causing blockages for the real players. It works with fewer than four, but it's much more alive with four real players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan McNamara
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chicago Express certainly has a simple ruleset. Tzolk'in less so.

Chicago Express takes 45 minutes to an hour, and provides deep and highly interactive gameplay (that's best with four).

The only argument I'll offer against choosing it, is that it regularly sells used in the BGG markeplace for $20. If you patiently subscribe to the marketplace I'd think you'd find a bargain before too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Smith
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T'zolkin is phenomenal and appears to fit your taste. I disagree that it only works with four. The vast majority of my plays have been with three players, and I find it to work just as well as the four player game if not better due to reduced down time. The dummy workers do a great job keeping the number of available spots on the wheels consistent across all player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are great games and have remained in my top ten list for a while. Tzolk'in takes longer to grasp but once players are comfortable with the rules it is an easy and enjoyable game to play, even with only 2 players. I am happy to play either one anytime. But, generally speaking, I find that my gaming group wants to play Tzolk'in more often than Chicago Express. Chicago Express lends itself to be more confrontational but Tzolk'in is not without friction either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaid
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
There's been some helpful advice in here. It definitely sounds like Tzolk'in might be the right call.

Though I keep hoping to give Surburbia a shot. Anyone have an opinion how The Capitals holds up in comparison?

Perhaps simple rule set wasn't what I meant. Just something that's intuitive. Much like Dominant Species is a heavy game but it's ruleset just makes sense and is easy to teach.

I'm open to others suggestions outside of what I said. I'm just looking to expand my Euro front or browse for something different than my usual fare. Also since I might just keep an eye out for a used copy of Chicago on the marketplace I'm still looking for a suggestion to fill my CSI order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I could knock out both birds with one stone [euro AND bidding (no "stocks", though)] - what would you say to Goa?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.