Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's game night on the gridiron as Flip the Table meets VCR College Bowl! This VHS title from the early 80's simulates college football as players draw cards and watch exciting clips to inch forward slowly in this high stakes game of VIDEO ACTION! It's bone-crushing tackles combined with soul-crushing gameplay...will the panel's limited football experience be enough to get them to the end zone? Ready! Download! HUT-HUT-HUT!

http://tableflipsyou.blogspot.com/2014/01/episode-46-vcr-col...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Briel
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! Look over there! --------->
mbmbmbmbmb
Hut! Hut! Hut!

Great movie of all-time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...Yeah, I think I'll stick with my boyfriend's copy of 1st & Goal... Which can feel like a bit of a luck fest, and some of the play results can be a bit wonky, definitely has choices (That come down to "Offence picks a play, defence simultaneously picks a play, roll specified dice and the play die to figure out exact results", with some prisoner dilemma thrown in on the Punt/Field Goal stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Paul
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbriel wrote:
Hut! Hut! Hut!

Great movie of all-time

Use of unnecessary violence in the apprehension of Flip the Table has been approved?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Counter
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel your pain. I owned a very similar game near the end of high school called VCR Quarterback, involving pro football footage. I'd bet it was either made by the same company or the idea was "borrowed". When we first started playing, it was fun watching the plays, but even as a young person with less gaming XP goes, it doesn't take very long to realize that, well, the game sucked, for lack of a better word. Boring card draws, an occasional VCR play, and it was just non-sensical. I love randomness past what most of my gamer friends do, but here, it takes away any semblance of a game.

It's funny, I've always loved football. Played as a youth (the only year I started we won one game, so you might garner I wasn't that good, but was still fun). I grew up playing Lance Alworth's Pro Football (not even on BGG), and Foto-Electric Football.

Pro Football was a table lookup thing. 6 offensive plays, 3 defensive, and a d6. I wonder if the Pizza Box Football brothes played something like this and tried to improve it. It was fun, and I didn't know any better.

I also played Foto-Electric footabll, where there were near letter sized football plays drawn out, you'd place one on top of the other on a box with a light bulb inside, and pull back the covering to see where the defender tackled the play (if a defender intersected the play path at any point). It was neat for a few plays, but this was my first lesson in how to unintentionally break a game. If you, as the offensive player, played 'Short Pass' there was NO defensive play that could stop it for a short gain (i.e., if you played this play each time, you'd get a first down by 2nd down most of the time, and always by 3rd down. So the game was indeed "broken".

Lastly, I was a senior in high school dumping quarters into 10 Yard Fight in the arcade, but there was another game I forgot the name of, but it was a laser disc football arcade game in which you controlled Dan Fouts and the Chargers vs the hated Raiders. You enter your play, and then a real life play would show on screen. I assume it went with at least a simple rubric on offensive vs defensive play advantages, but not sure. It was fun, as you could throw a bomb and use the Secret Weapon button, and the sound on the console was great for it's time, but lost interest because it was too bloody expensive to finish a game. Not quite as bad as trying to finish arcade Gauntlet, but too pricey for my non-Rockefeller blood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Futterknecht
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LoL, this game gives me a Flashback to my accountant class. -> Get a receipt and fill in -> repeat... hold on....

Thats It Acountant the Bo(a)r(e)dgame. Maybe I make a DVD-Version :-D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms Dew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, too bad this one was such a fumble. Maybe potential for repurposing into a fantasy football game? Especially to make better use of the spinner!
I mean c'mon, how many adult games have a spinner?

Oh, and on a sideline, the Jared commercial for FTT is the best hands down IMO. I always laugh at "robot soldiers" and "weapons of radness".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you like that spot! That voice is actually Mr. Ben Turner, whom you'll remember from our Dexter/People's Court/eBay shows. The "side effects" spot is Mrs. Niki Turner. =-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Paul
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"I hope you enjoyed that ad because it costs 80 million dollars!"

Sounds like the vocal talents of
Eric Summerer
United States
Hamden
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Check out my audiobooks!
badge
Will talk for food!
mbmbmbmbmb
are getting shortchanged? Future Eric needs a new agent!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely random but I think Chris could do a good Troy Mcclure impression.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Marquez
United States
Port Angeles
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dbriel wrote:
Hut! Hut! Hut!

Great movie of all-time

Yes! I concur!
They won't catch us. We are on a mission from gad(Chicago accent).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odious Cornblossom
United States
Bellflower
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It helped that I was brought up on games like Paydirt, NFL Strategy, and even Pro Draft. By the time the VCR games made their appearance we were pretty certain they were going to be major letdowns. In fact we used to have great fun with sports games, especially stat driven ones. Baseball being best for this kind of thing, but the football games were neat too. For hockey we'd stick with Rod Hockey, and basketball, well, just the real thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flip Florey
United States
Brewer
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone got ANYTHING out of this episode for this BANCE-forsaken game I hope it was forget this game. In fact pause the podcast, seek out Blood Bowl and play that. You will not regret it.

In fact if you ever want to play Blood Bowl with me I would gladly teach it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameKnightMaine wrote:
If anyone got ANYTHING out of this episode for this BANCE-forsaken game I hope it was forget this game. In fact pause the podcast, seek out Blood Bowl and play that. You will not regret it.

I had a mate say that Dreadball was very similar to Blood Bowl but cheaper to get into with team expansion, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mouseydew wrote:
Hmm, too bad this one was such a fumble. Maybe potential for repurposing into a fantasy football game? Especially to make better use of the spinner!
I mean c'mon, how many adult games have a spinner?

Oh, and on a sideline, the Jared commercial for FTT is the best hands down IMO. I always laugh at "robot soldiers" and "weapons of radness".

Amen!
'Or you could punch yourself in the face'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms Dew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameKnightMaine wrote:

TotalCon!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flip Florey
United States
Brewer
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mouseydew wrote:
GameKnightMaine wrote:

TotalCon!!!!! :) :) :)

I will bring Blood Bowl to TotalCon if you want to learn.
Always willing to spread the disease.... ahem, love.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flip Florey
United States
Brewer
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
balzi wrote:
GameKnightMaine wrote:

I had a mate say that Dreadball was very similar to Blood Bowl but cheaper to get into with team expansion, etc.

I have not played Dreadball, but I have looked at the pieces (which are nice),read a couple of reviews and I would love to play with a sci-fi theme. But my impressions of it were not enough to hook me in.

I love the GW universe (40K mostly) and Blood Bowl did it so, so very right the first time. In my heart there is no comparison.

Not that I wouldn't play Dreadball if somebody wanted to show it to me. But I am not going to take the $75 (possibly more) leap to find out on my own.

And if they ever came out with a 40K Blood Bowl reskin, forget about it. Game Over, TAKE MY MONEY!!!

Plus the Hell's Pit Warplocks would never forgive me.

GO WARPLOCKS!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameKnightMaine wrote:
balzi wrote:
GameKnightMaine wrote:

I have not played Dreadball, but I have looked at the pieces (which are nice),read a couple of reviews and I would love to play with a sci-fi theme. But my impressions of it were not enough to hook me in.

I love the GW universe (40K mostly) and Blood Bowl did it so, so very right the first time. In my heart there is no comparison.

Not that I wouldn't play Dreadball if somebody wanted to show it to me. But I am not going to take the $75 (possibly more) leap to find out on my own.

And if they ever came out with a 40K Blood Bowl reskin, forget about it. Game Over, TAKE MY MONEY!!!

Plus the Hell's Pit Warplocks would never forgive me.

GO WARPLOCKS!!

Well obviously if you're already into Blood Bowl why would you get the other.
It may not be as good quality, but for a someone choosing one or the other, being significantly cheaper is a big deal.

May your balloon dogs never pop!
Peace!

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Groeneweg
United States
Clear Lake
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I'm late to the Flip the Table party... Just started listening and catching up on all the old episodes...
I just listed to this episode. Professor talked about Mitchell, North Dakota and the Corn Palace. Actually it's South Dakota.
I grew up there and a graduate of Mitchell High School. To go along with the Corn Palace theme... the High School is the "Kernels" and the mascot is "Cornelius".
Opposing schools would like to have banners that read... "Pop the Kernels".

Sorry, went a little Cliff Clavin on your there.

Edit: Here's Cornelius...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms Dew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fedspaz wrote:
I know I'm late to the Flip the Table party... Just started listening and catching up on all the old episodes...
I just listed to this episode. Professor talked about Mitchell, North Dakota and the Corn Palace. Actually it's South Dakota.
I grew up there and a graduate of Mitchell High School. To go along with the Corn Palace theme... the High School is the "Kernels" and the mascot is "Cornelius".
Opposing schools would like to have banners that read... "Pop the Kernels".

Sorry, went a little Cliff Clavin on your there.

Edit: Here's Cornelius...

for being corny
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.