United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a day. I have been stepping through the rules learning this awesome game. I pre ordered over a year ago, received my copy a couple weeks ago, and basically regard this game with the same love of an old heirloom. Upon returning from an errand, I noticed a couple Mirage fighter jets had wrecked themselves way off map...and one lonely Argentinian submarine.

The other submarine, stationed in its pen at the port, was missing. Nowhere to be found. I eyed the only possible culprit...a 20 pound Norwegian Forest Cat. This predator apparently thought submarines were toys. He sat there, blinking at me, as though I couldn't prove whodunnit.

I proceeded to avoid disturbing the crime scene, carefully inspecting and reinspecting the carpet. I attempted to follow possible paw-swipe trajectories, imagining the arc this feline would be able to put the San Lucas on.

After at least an hour I become very frustrated. I was tempted to bind his paws and get the information out of this little kittie. I checked under the stairwell one more time...and there it was. The submarine was undamaged but the crew must certainly have been worn. Thank God that my mint copy of this wonderful game has not been tainted. I must now be more careful, as apparently our cat now likes to play with my wargames. It has never, not once, done this before!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man that's scary! My cat destroyed a copy of Afrika: The Northern African Campaign, 1940-1942 (1st edition) many years ago. I responded by building a cover for my game table.

I got some lengths of 1x3" pine and fastened them to form a box that could sit on the perimeter of the table. About 1/3 of the way in from each side I laid a 1x3" flat across (north to south) and screwed them down into the north and south sides of the box. This adds a lot of strength and doesn't interfere with the space below. Then across the top I stapled some scrap chicken wire and added two old drawer handles to make it easy to pick the whole thing up.

3" of height let me leave even block games with two high stacks set-up. One layer of chicken wire was sufficient for my needs, with a heavier cat, or one who tries to get his paws in the holes, you could add another layer and offset so you get both additional strength and smaller holes.

With an aggressive cat you might want to clamp the cover to the table so he can't knock it aside, but you may not need to, I never did.

My cover was not a thing of beauty (barely passed the spousal approval test) and people (kids) had an unfortunate tendency to pile books and coats on it but it served the purpose, never had another cat problem. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest retaliation with a hearty tummy rub and perhaps some distraction with a feather toy. meeple

Our cats do indeed go after game pieces, so we can't leave games out (which is almost never an issue) and have to be vigilant while playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Shea
Germany
Nußloch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My cat chewed up several suspect (S?) counters from my solitaire Advanced Squad Leader set. Fortunately (or unfortunately) there are always more S? counters.

Worse was the preference for one cat to pee on the couch in my man cave. Now I keep that door closed, always.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gudgeon
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mb
A cat with laser beam eyes too! Those Argie subs don't stand a chance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Ravenscroft
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Cats with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david griffiths
United Kingdom
plymouth
devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am surprised cat pie isn't more popular,little bastards each and every one of them,and yes it happened to me four hours into Victory in the west. I only left the room for five minutes,I came back to find that horrible ball of fur and fleas sat in the middle of belgium with its leg in the air licking its arse,she took one look at me and my jaw hitting the floor and bolted for the nearest exit deploying a large number of my german army to the floor.To this day I am sure that cat finds it funny,it's that smug look she gives you when she is sat on the other side of the room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.