Subject: Debt as random condition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D D
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
I am aware we are to shuffle the debt condition cards into the conditions deck. When required to randomly take on a condtion card, we are to draw from the bottom of the deck. I can understand a random physical injury as a condition, but randomly incurring debt? It does not thematically make sense to me. I mean, how does one randomly find themselves in debt?

Anyone just pull the debt cards aside and utilize them ONLY when needing a loan?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess that cult leader simply decided that I owe him something. Might not be money he believes he is owed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are very few effects (but there are some) that give you a random Condition. Those can do anything, possibly putting you into Debt or even Blessing you. When the game wants to give you a physical injury, it will ask you to take a random Injury Condition, which Debt doesn't qualify for.

Edit: Now that I'm home and able to look through my cards, I can't find any at a quick glance through some of the decks that give you a purely random condition. I thought there was a Mythos with it, but I can't find one. Has anybody got an example of this situation, as it may not exist at all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like the previous poster has already said, you're (almost?) never asked to draw a random condition. That means you could keep several stacks of conditions. However, keeping them all in one stack makes it easier to shuffle (it's hard to shuffle only six cards), and you have to shuffle them all the time (which is also why I bought sleeves for the condition cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walts
Scotland
Kilwinning
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D31277 wrote:
I am aware we are to shuffle the debt condition cards into the conditions deck. When required to randomly take on a condtion card, we are to draw from the bottom of the deck. I can understand a random physical injury as a condition, but randomly incurring debt? It does not thematically make sense to me. I mean, how does one randomly find themselves in debt?

Anyone just pull the debt cards aside and utilize them ONLY when needing a loan?

Without knowing your exact situation for incurring the random debt, it's difficult to create a thematic "story" for you. Did u gain the random condition from a Research, Other World or ??? Encounter?

An example of a thematic story for failing an Other World Encounter is that you failed the quest and have been cast out by the other world inhabitants, who have taken all your money and left you destitute in the dodgy outskirts of the city, so you need money to contact your fellow investigators!

You need to let your imagination flow a little bit more and not expect the cards to fill in all the storyline gaps for you.

What was ur situ (specific card) for getting the random card?

Walts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played several times, and can't think of a single situation in which I was called upon to take a random Condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D D
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Ok so the consensus is there is no random conditions. Thanks all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I've never had to draw a random condition yet.

If it works for your play space, I think splitting the conditions deck into smaller ones makes sense barring no expansion makes drawing random conditions a thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shuffling a single deck of all conditions is a lot simpler than shuffling a bunch of little piles, some of them as small as three cards.

It's also possible that, in the future, conditions could have some traits in common and smog that are different, in which you can't split them into piles.

As comparison, if I tried to split the asset deck into piles based on trait, where would I out an asset that was both a Weapon and a Trinket?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MasterDinadan wrote:
Shuffling a single deck of all conditions is a lot simpler than shuffling a bunch of little piles, some of them as small as three cards.

It's also possible that, in the future, conditions could have some traits in common and smog that are different, in which you can't split them into piles.

I haven't noticed any difference of time shuffling cards. Since reshuffling is required of the double sided decks every time, I find that it saves time to shuffle 3 cards in a group as opposed to a whole deck.

Also when drawing cards, you don't have to go through a bunch of cards that aren't relevant and instead immediately draw the type of card you need, which also saves time.

6 of one and half dozen of another I think, at least for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:

If I recall correctly that's already the case. There's at least one card that makes you draw a madness condition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It may be quicker in play by a few seconds, but I'm not creating another twenty piles of three cards each

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MasterDinadan wrote:

As comparison, if I tried to split the asset deck into piles based on trait, where would I out an asset that was both a Weapon and a Trinket?

I don't think you could split the asset deck, but I haven't tried though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coren wrote:
It may be quicker in play by a few seconds, but I'm not creating another twenty piles of three cards each

Totally agree, only really an option if you have the play space.

My business card holders allow for it though, once there are more cards I doubt I will be able to anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
neonsurfboard wrote:
I haven't noticed any difference of time shuffling cards. Since reshuffling is required of the double sided decks every time, I find that it saves time to shuffle 3 cards in a group as opposed to a whole deck.

With so few cards (especially 3), I find it much harder not to notice where a specific card ends up. With all 36 cards, it's completely random after a couple of shuffles which one of three cards of the same type ends up on top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewbwm wrote:
MasterDinadan wrote:

If I recall correctly that's already the case. There's at least one card that makes you draw a madness condition.

What I mean is, if two conditions have a common trait, then all of their traits are the same. The only exception, I think, is debt and dark pact, which are both deals, but only the former is common.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coren wrote:

It's not all that much quicker to play, either. I find that, so long as you keep all the conditions in a random order, you only need to shuffle occasionally. If you get a card giving you a random condition, just search the pile until you find the random condition you're looking for, and then put everything you didn't use on the bottom (or move to the top, if you're searching bottom-up.) It's not like you know what's on the back of those cards, after all, and the pseudo-random nature of sorting for different conditions is enough for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I have never spent more than a few seconds searching. This is one case where I hope they don't add too many more cards as time goes on or they come up with some innovative method of separation as going through a 2" high pile might be another issue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.