Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi all... am back again with an odd question. It's about the "acceptability" of color-coding/highlighting the keywords printed on the cards. Let me explain:

I have a tendency to sometimes overlook the keywords printed on the cards. As a result, I may find myself saying,
"Oh, that's right! That character had 'Stealth'. I could've used that during the last turn!"
Or perhaps I realize only too late that I misplayed a challenge when my opponent tells me to kill a second participating character... my response:
"Damn, I missed the "Deadly" printed on your character's card"!

I'm not a spring chicken anymore, so I blame my eyesight (when looking at my opponent's cards) or my mental acuity to adequately track my own cards. And if both of us share the same infliction, then who knows how many cards are improperly played due to missed keywords?

My solution is to underline (or highlight) each keyword with a different color. For instance, the keyword, "Renown" would be underlined with blue on each card that its printed on, while, "Stealth" would be underlined with green on each card its printed on. And so on for each keyword. This will serve to make the keywords immediately visible and identifiable when being put into, or while in play, by both players.

My question: Is marking the cards in this manner acceptable when played outside the home? I currently play in a very casual home setting with friends or relatives who aren't "gamers". But I soon expect to be participating in larger play groups at a local gaming store (which I haven't joined yet). If I walk into one of those play sessions (not tournaments) using cards that are marked as described above, will that be frowned-upon, or accepted?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, several of the FFG promo cards have been printed differently, or are otherwise distinguishable while in the deck. The worst offenders are the alt-art cards for Netrunner, which are slightly larger than standard cards and stick out like a sore thumb.

Which is why the FFG tournament rules say that all cards should be in sleeves with opaque backing. Given that requirement, I don't imagine that any light marking you want to use on the front of the cards will make a difference - as long as you can't tell the cards apart while they're facing down.

But, to be certain, you should check with the group running the tournament. While I don't think FFG would have a problem, they aren't the ones making the on-the-spot ruling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks, both of you!

Yeah, I won't be doing any tournaments, and the underline markings would be only on the front of the cards. So I appreciate you offering your opinion that it should not be a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.