Nations» Forums » General

Subject: POLL : Nations and Through the Ages rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Skerasco Veraii
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interested to know the results of these. I've also posted these polls on the TtA forum:

Poll
You played Through the Ages AND Nations. Which game do you enjoy playing the most?
Through the Ages
Nations
Both equally
      241 answers
Poll created by kaneAAA

Poll
You own Through the Ages. Do you want to buy Nations?
Yes
No
Undecided
      228 answers
Poll created by kaneAAA

Poll
You don't own Through the Ages or Nations. Which would you buy?
Through the Ages
Nations
Both
Neither
      212 answers
Poll created by kaneAAA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pol Michiels
Belgium
Ottenburg
Vlaams brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Of all people who have nothing to say, those who say nothing are the wisest.
mbmbmbmbmb
In all fairness, to get a balanced view, you should probably also ask at the TtA forums, since people coming here might be more inclined towards Nations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
As to number one, I said "both equally" but it isn't a fair comparison.

I've played Nations three times, and Through the Ages dozens of times.

Also, I don't play Through the Ages with 4, but I'll happily play Nations with 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skerasco Veraii
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boscrossos wrote:
In all fairness, to get a balanced view, you should probably also ask at the TtA forums, since people coming here might be more inclined towards Nations.

Hmm nice idea... can I just link this onto the TtA forum or do i have to re-do a post?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kaneAAA wrote:
Boscrossos wrote:

Hmm nice idea... can I just link this onto the TtA forum or do i have to re-do a post?

You can insert the same polls. Do a reply quote to yours and copy the code.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skerasco Veraii
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
kaneAAA wrote:
Boscrossos wrote:

So will the results automatically be combined by the pole then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kaneAAA wrote:
lfisher wrote:
kaneAAA wrote:
Boscrossos wrote:

Yes as long as you use the same pollID.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skerasco Veraii
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
kaneAAA wrote:
lfisher wrote:
kaneAAA wrote:
Boscrossos wrote:

Yes as long as you use the same pollID.

Done!! Let's see what happens..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wiggins
United States
Kingwood
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Uh! It's this darn dice tower!
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't answer any of these because I didn't want to decide between them or say I liked them equally. I prefer TtA as an epic civ, but I never get to play it since it never comes to the table due to length and complexity, and thus it follows that I don't really know how to play it anyway. On the other hand Nations is so accessible in both complexity and length that I get to play it regularly.

So which do I think is the better game? TtA

Which do I enjoy playing the most? Nations, but only because I never get to play TtA and don't understand the rules very well when it DOES finally come out. If I got more opportunities for TtA, surely TtA would be the answer to this question.

Which do I play both happily and regularly? Nations given all this

So does that actually make Nations a "better game" in that it's more accessible? If you had "the best game in the freaking world" that was so complex that only 5 people in the world could actually play it, would it still be considered the best game in the world? There's a gaming paradox for ya. haha If TtA fell off the table and there was no one there to hear it... who would pick up ALL THOSE PIECES?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Up next: A poll asking whether you'd want to climb Mt Everest or drive to Krispy Kreme.

(Edit: Not making fun of OP. Polls are still interesting and useful if interpreted correctly... which might be hard to do without more context about the choices being made.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wojtaszcyk
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TTA Online is outstanding, but face to face it can be fiddly with all the cube movement, where as I find Nations is less fiddly and can work better than TTA when playing face to face.

TTA can run long face to face too. As in 4 you can probably get 2 Nations games played in the same time frame as one TTA game.

Note too, my group is playing at Emperor level with picking nations and A/B sides and using a random all cards decks which have the same distributions of the base deck. (ie. shuffle all the blue, take 8 of them, all the others shuffle each color and take 4 of them to construct each age deck)

It is almost possible to just split into two so over two games you can play through all the cards, but the blue and leaders are a little off from 1/2's working, though it might not unbalance too much missing a blue, but blue are pretty important...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kinney
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if you want to be completely fair you should include a neither on question 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another big factor in Polling is that it's doubtful many TTA players frequent the forum. The game's been out a long time, there's not a lot of reason for them to wander back to it's page. Meanwhile people who like/just got/are into Nations are much more likely to be haunting this forum and thereby to respond to the poll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
Another big factor in Polling is that it's doubtful many TTA players frequent the forum. The game's been out a long time, there's not a lot of reason for them to wander back to it's page. Meanwhile people who like/just got/are into Nations are much more likely to be haunting this forum and thereby to respond to the poll.

I would argue that there is no problem with that, because it gives TTA longevity a slight handicap. Otherwise someone could be posting that it was unfair to have this poll because TTA had been out so long that it had a much larger player base to overwhelm the poll.

Amongst those who are currently haunting both forums, they come out about equal. I would not be surprised if we did this poll after 3 more years and it came out the same way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game of Through the Ages is worse than Nations. In our group we have one guy who completely made a whole new set of cards and added way more leaders and wonders.

I will not play TTA without expansion cards and will not play with less than 3 players preferably 4. I will play Nations with any number so it really depends on who is at the table playing the game. Overall I enjoy our version of TTA more than Nations, but Nations more than TTA without those home made cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.