12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Cthulhu copyright rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristian Mitchell-Dolby
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
There are a lot of lovecraft based games so I was wondering if anyone knew what the ownership of Cthulhu and the Arkham universe is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
IANAL

I believe it is in the public domain (Least the H. P. Lovecraft bits). Though certain add on elements may not be.

(I am often completely wrong)

Update:

Wiki Article

Is Cthulhu in the public domain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Come visit me at GamerChris.com for all sorts of chewy, gamery goodness!
mbmbmbmbmb
The actual Cthulhu mythos and all works from H.P. Lovecraft are public domain, so anyone is free to use them.

But you'd probably need to check on specific trademarks that FFG and other companies have for particular titles or IP within that setting if you were thinking about publishing something using it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG has trademarked "Arkham Horror" and the names of the related games. Specific games are generally copyrighted by their designers and/or publishers.

The principal "entities" and general concepts of Yog-Sothothery have always been in the public domain. Lovecraft encouraged his contemporaries to use them in their own stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Richard
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Yep, Cthulhu is in the public domain.

As mentioned above though, it's a landmine of legalities. While Lovecrafts own works are all valid, there are many elder gods and concepts that were added in later years. This added stuff is NOT in the public domain.

Combine that with trademarks and mechanical implementations and you have even more to worry about.

These legal reasons are the biggest reason I went to a publisher. I didn't want to worry about the many issues involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Mitchell-Dolby
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
My game involves trying to survive a series of random drawn disasters whilst piloting a space ship and one of the disasters is an alien creature attacking the ship and I was wondering if I could call it Cthulhu so relatively loose association so I think I'd be okay by the sounds of things.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
DO NOT CLICK HERE!
mbmbmbmbmb
KristianJMD wrote:
My game involves trying to survive a series of random drawn disasters whilst piloting a space ship and one of the disasters is an alien creature attacking the ship and I was wondering if I could call it Cthulhu so relatively loose association so I think I'd be okay by the sounds of things.

Cheers

What? Why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Mitchell-Dolby
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
simpledamon wrote:
KristianJMD wrote:

Cheers

What? Why?

Because ... everyone loves Cthulhu ... what exactly are you questioning?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Strebeck
United States
San Francisco
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
badge
www.gamelawyerblog.com
mbmbmbmbmb
KristianJMD wrote:
simpledamon wrote:
KristianJMD wrote:

Cheers

What? Why?

You're calling the GAME Cthulhu, or just that alien creature?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Mitchell-Dolby
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
zackiechan wrote:
KristianJMD wrote:
simpledamon wrote:
KristianJMD wrote:

Cheers

What? Why?

You're calling the GAME Cthulhu, or just that alien creature?

Just that alien creature. Apologies if that apparently caused confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why even call the alien Cthulhu ?

It's an alien, you have a chance to do something original and create a whole new story

I know Cthulhu and Zombies and CthulhuZombies are popular right now, but this is a great opportunity to do something original

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Mitchell-Dolby
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Could but doesn't seem much point. The idea of turning over a card reading "you are attacked by Cthulhu" seems pretty funny to me, especially since the players probably will have no idea Cthulhu is in it. If it was integral to the game then yeah I'd work something original out but it's a throw away reference so not much point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.