Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Held
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
This shark, swallow you whole.
badge
I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a quick couple of questions about Krang and the use of the Puppet Master skill. When using Puppet Master:

1.) One of the stipulations says that if you discard an enemy token, you either get attacks at half the strength of its attack value or blocks at half armor value (rounded up). I am uncertain when a situation like this might occur...since you do not need to discard your kept enemies token. Is discarding an enemy token you control with puppet master (in this situation) like using that enemy in battle?

2.) When using puppet master, does the enemy you are fighting kill your puppet master enemy token if it has an attack that goes through the puppet master's tokens armor? Or can you then block with your armor, and is that puppet master creature token just exhausted and available for use on the next turn?

I haven't played with Krang yet (just got him in the mail an hour ago), so maybe these questions will work themselves out during gameplay and are, in fact, pretty dumb. But just reading through the skills, I'm having a little trouble with the interpretation of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you say "you don't need to discard your kept enemy token"... I don't think that's true. You discard enemies when you use them with Puppet Master. There's no such thing as a new enemy "killing" your Puppet Master'ed token. You just use the token up and get block from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Councilofthevoid wrote:
1.) One of the stipulations says that if you discard an enemy token, you either get attacks at half the strength of its attack value or blocks at half armor value (rounded up). I am uncertain when a situation like this might occur...since you do not need to discard your kept enemies token. Is discarding an enemy token you control with puppet master (in this situation) like using that enemy in battle?

You discard the puppet in order to use its attack or block. If you don't discard it then you don't get the benefit.

Councilofthevoid wrote:
2.) When using puppet master, does the enemy you are fighting kill your puppet master enemy token if it has an attack that goes through the puppet master's tokens armor? Or can you then block with your armor, and is that puppet master creature token just exhausted and available for use on the next turn?

The puppet isn't like a unit. It's not resuable, nor can it be assigned damage. Think of it like a one-time plus to attack or block, with the enemy token representing the value of that attack/block. So the puppet just generates +X block and goes away. There's nothing to "kill" and there's nothing there to which you can assign damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Pettifer
England
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You choose between the 2 options each turn:

1: Take a token you defeated that turn

2: Discard a token you defeated and kept on a previous turn to get the Attack(s) or Block
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Held
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
This shark, swallow you whole.
badge
I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, all of you for the responses.

These replies have clarified the use of the skill for me. I was thinking that it was used in the same way that units are used, but that's an incorrect way of thinking about it. I haven't played as Krang yet, so it's probably something I would have figured out during gameplay, but I didn't want to get stuck halfway through a scenario and be searching online in other threads for a response.

Here's to the hope of a new Mage Knight expansion in 2014! This game has been seeing all my game-playing free time the past month (since Christmas), Twilight Struggle/Android:Netruner/Through the Ages are all currently collecting dust on my shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.