California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MAROONED 5

UPDATE!!! RULES 2.0 Needs polish
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz9vYMU-nBeKOTVHa3hnblJqajA...

So far I got you are on an island building a raft. you Draw one of 5 island personas and you can lie about what one you got (bluffing)

You then get one Location Might be 3 locations (2 each) or 5 unique. This too is hidden Bluffing.

You claim you're doing an activity (location) with so-n-so (persona). You Build a raft, Look Out - improve on challenges, get Water, R-n-R at the House. I might need a 5th location. maybe repeat one location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] (2 Player P-n-P contest) MAROONED 5

HOME - VP, if Movie Star: Get to place two workers next turn (Lie about 1)

Build - Skipper, Lackey (Collect Logs) Girls (Collect Rope)
if Professor: Takes one of each collected by others and Builds a part of the raft

Lookout - No bad effect from Challenge (WIP) if Skipper: able to call out both persona and Location, doesn't have to specify.

Search - (WIP) Get a search card: Lackey (Gilligan) gets to win negative challenge card

H2O - Get one water, if Mary Ann: get to advance the tank holder or 2 water.

If you get called out for a role and you're lying the other player will decide what you lose; Water, Rope, Log or "X" VP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it so far. Who did your artwork?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bill437 wrote:
I like it so far. Who did your artwork?

thanks,

I made it, Rapid Prototype... I'll get a real artist when ready.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Negative Location of Search... and its a 75/25 change you have something bad happen. Now you got a reason to lie about a location other then Positive NEED.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mary Ann: if you finish your turn without water then no penalty.
Skipper: Negative effect doesn't work
Professor: (WIP - Can do something interactive)
Movie Star: (WIP auto +1 vp)
Lackey: (WIP nothing)

I think I need to change the Skipper and the Lackey's roles...
So now Gilligan somehow avoids bad stuff and the skipper is a lookout "protector".

Mary Ann: if you finish your turn without water then no penalty.
Skipper: Calls out both role/location... (now what's the lookout do??)
Professor: (WIP - Can do something interactive, change a role then use?)
Maybe someone sees the professor in the extra rolls and says they have them, then says they have him again... muahahaha!!!

Movie Star: (WIP auto +1 vp)
Lackey: Negative effect doesn't work against him, that's why you search with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HOME - 2 VP, if Movie Star: Get to place two workers next turn (Lie about 1)

Build - Skipper, Lackey (Collect Logs) Girls (Collect Rope)
if Professor: Takes one of each collected by others and Builds a part of the raft

Lookout - Able to call out both persona and Location, doesn't have to specify. (don't use the MS/House ability if someone is on the lookout, you better be last, although you will know if they are there because you announce the extra guy 3rd, coolness)

Search - (WIP) Negative effect: Lackey (Gilligan) is immune. Lose all water, 1 log/rope, 2vp (will balance)

H2O - Get one water, if Mary Ann: get to advance the tank holder or 2 water.

If you get called out for a role and you're lying the other player will decide what you lose; Water, Rope, Log or "2" VP

Players can Change their ROLE by a secondary role claim and then do so on the board. How that would work... you go first you place mary ann on the H2O you see the other player take 2 roles. you can then claim you're the skipper at thw H2O and replace maryann meeple with the skipper meeple on the board.

This system needs an order of call out... I think the Skipper must always prove first, no matter who is called out.

Location Change must be Claimed before taking the action of that spot.

Maybe the meeples are unique
Blue skipper meeple is BIG
Red Gilligan Meeple is skinny
Green Professor Meeple
Gold Movie Star Meeple
Um... White Mary Ann

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to test this... then ask who wants to help...
10 cards, Map, Use your own meeples (10) Token sheet... for logs, rope, water... VP track will need cubes.

Digital rules and Cheat sheet for first test... This way there is no loss for V 2.0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Reitz
Germany
Mayen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks and reads interesting although I'm afraid I didn't fully get the idea of this game, yet.
But anyway, I'm subscribed to this tread and will follow it.

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KivasFajo wrote:
This looks and reads interesting although I'm afraid I didn't fully get the idea of this game, yet.
But anyway, I'm subscribed to this tread and will follow it.

Michael

You get one of 5 roles then select one of 5 location card. you then peak at a second unique card one of each (a card you know no one has).

You build or harm the other player based on your location. you will need to bluff you have a location/role when you need something.

RULES v0.1

OBJECTIVE
You are a visitor to a small island just off the grid. There you find island inhabitants ready to help you build a raft and head back to civilisation. The problem is you're not the only visitor to the island. The other visitor is "Using" the same people, your people, to help them build a second raft. The other player needs to be caught lying about what they are up to! Because you need off this loony bin FIRST.

Shuffle the 5 Role cards then draw a random role card and set one in front of each player then do the same for the 5 location cards per turn. Take a look at a second unique from the unused discard card pile. do this for each deck Role and location (of the 3 cards you know no one has) the second player must look at a unique unused card.

Turn order for selecting a Role and location card For the first turn the youngest player goes first. alternate turns after that. If the Skipper was used last turn then the owner of the Skipper goes first. If the skipper went unused go back to alternating turns.

Professor action first... switch a role before all location actions are done, then represent the new role/location.. you can claim to be the professor multiple times resulting in switch roles multiple times.. or you can use the professor to switch locations only once.

BEFORE LOCATION ACTION
A player may change their role/location on their turn, just before doing the location action! Other players can NOT call out for the PAST Role/Location others can accuse of lying ONLY for the future Role/Location.

LOCATION ACTION
Do your location action first. Role action second, then a bonus location/role action if relevant (see card).

POST LOCATION ACTION
Once a player finishes a location action you are tied to the role/location for the duration of the turn.(Professor action is done)

A player may claim to have another role for the following 2 negative actions. no water "I got Mary Ann", search attack "I got Gilligan". The player can then make a visible meeple change.

CALLED OUT FOR LYING
When a player (A) is called out they must prove they have the ONE type that is ask for... Role or Location

if player (B) is Skipper and/or is on the LOOKOUT location they can ask to prove BOTH R/L. IF Player (A) in reply, asked for player (B) to prove the Skipper/Lookout they must prove FIRST if player (B) is unable to do so then player (A) is no longer obligated to show proof of role and location.

CALLED OUT FOR LYING: RESULTS
You will lose your actions (R/L) this turn, if you where caught lying AFTER you collected you lose your goods or action (but not the research action). Being CALLED OUT is over when the second player ALSO returns their 1 location or role card to the common pile for shuffle.

END GAME
First to "X" vp or end game is triggered when the first raft is build.
Extra water is 1 VP, extra log +1vp, extra rope +1vp

BUILD A RAFT
You need the professor to be in the build location to combine 1 log and 1 rope... do this 2 times to trigger and game and gain 10VP.

I need to add in the actions of role/location to these rules... See them above.

ROLES
Movie Star: Gain 1 VP for using her. If you are in the House gain a mirror token (Allowed to have 1 MAX). Use this to ACT, When you want to use 2 roles and up to 2 locations spend the mirror token. While in the Build location the movie star produces 1 rope.

Professor: Switch Roles as many times as you claim to have the professor. Switch Locations ONLY once. If you use the mirror action you can't use "Switch". Build location = BUILD a raft section if you have (spend) 1 rope and 1 Log.

First Mate: IMMUNE to search action. Build location gain 1 log token.

Farm Girl: Gain MAX water. IF on the H2O location gain a water bottle (MAX 5)When placed in Build location gain 1 rope token.

SKIPPER: MAY call out 1 role AND 1 Location. IF on the Lookout GAIN the player Order TOKEN (take your location action first or last your choice). When placed in Build location gain 1 Log token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PROS: this game creates a unique balance of deduction and bluffing.

CONS: you have to deal over and over... No biggy Kinda like Texas Hold'em.

ISSUES
I want to see IF i can improve on the Victory objectives while cutting play time.
I perceive issues with Losing assets to build the raft to create a longer game time. Also, I need to ask myself; are the other locations other then build are:
1. a better path to victory
2. a waste of time

I need Location ideas that play into end game objectives.

COMBOS
I could make the combos get out of hand. A unique bonus or interpretation for each guy in each location. Just because you can is not a reason for me. I don't mind being called out for a simple game.

Poll: How long should this game take?
A poll to figure out how long my COUP type game should take 2 players to get through.
How Long should this COUP type (2 player) game take to play?
10 minutes
20 minutes
30 minutes
45 minutes
      22 answers
Poll created by aVoidGames

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really looking forward to see this one being crafted and ready to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
magneheeli wrote:
I'm really looking forward to see this one being crafted and ready to play!
Thank you!
Post like that motivate me to get it done.
update...

Game speed solutions
1. Water harms VP not logs/rope
2. 2 builds w/ professor
3. keep 2 rope/log storage (protect against Search)
4. EXTREME: consider 2 build location cards (6).

With each bottle neck in this game I am forcing the Buff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I need to make one Cheat sheet...

I need to alter the water intake to 2 or 3... maybe 3..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the water tank for? Does it set a limit on the number of waters a player can hold?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jbrecken wrote:
What is the water tank for? Does it set a limit on the number of waters a player can hold?

Yeah, I am thinking it only holds 3... not sure it is a good theme because it looks like the same tank (art)... maybe you get small water bottles, 3 max 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aVoidGames wrote:

The caricatures of the Gilligan's Island cast look like they might have come from an old '60s TV Guide, or maybe even MAD Magazine (Artist: Joe Orlando?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:

The caricatures of the Gilligan's Island cast look like they might have come from an old '60s TV Guide, or maybe even MAD Magazine (Artist: Joe Orlando?).

I am not going to use this in the final design...
http://adavis57.deviantart.com/art/Gilligan-s-Island-Gallery...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interested in the concept. Can't understand the rules as written though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BREAK THROUGH!!

ALAN DAVIS
The illustrator has allowed me to use the People images for the FREE print-n-play Version of MAROONED 5! Woo Hoo this game rolling.

If I were to attempt to profit off this I will make sure to approach The art owner again. And work out a new deal. (FYI / TMI)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roxanne Clark
United Kingdom
Sudbury
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aVoidGames wrote:
BREAK THROUGH!!

ALAN DAVIS
The illustrator has allowed me to use the People images for the FREE print-n-play Version of MAROONED 5!
A great find, it'll look fantastic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NOTE: combo of alt action... instead of call out 2 you may block looking at the second shared roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll need to make some BG...

Do we need a text title?

Maybe a postcard / photo look?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see an issue with this game breaking down on the Professor role switch.

So to resolve it before it's tested I will CONTROL the card in the Pool they can switch with.
Claim #1. You must switch with the second card you looked at.
Claim #2. You must select the 3rd unseen card.
Claim #3. You may now switch with the card player 2 looked at.

Same rules apply if the professor wants to alter his location. Changing a location would end the professor switching action and jump right into taking the new location action.

Use Case: Player one is ready to build the boat section. He has a rope and a Log. He sees the Professor and the Build cards both in the pool. He has Mary ann and the water location.

He first CLAIMS to have the professor sets the Green Prof Meeple in the H2O location. He then Changes rolls and now has the Prof card. He now has many choice by REALLY having the professor's second action, the safest of which is to claim the prof and use the switch action again to get the build location. Make sure to move your meeple on the map as well.

There will not be an unfair advantage for having the professor... by exposing player 2 second roll knowledge.

The pool cards will be identifiable (as seen by one) because after a player looks at the pool card they set it 1 inch closer to them.

Using the Movie Star's Bonus.

If you set your movie star in the House you will gain the ability to ACT.
The next turn you MAY set 2 rolls on 1 or 2 location. There are 2 rolls and one location that can stop this.
The professor's ability to switch is dangerous.
The Skipper's ability to Counter this. (WIP)
The Lookout to counter this in the same way. (WIP)

I am thinking the skipper's ability to call out 2 items will shut this down. I could confine it to 1 role 1 location. I think I got it!!! the movie star action will be take when they can (token to use at anytime).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] |