Hide
8 Posts

Smash Up» Forums » General

Subject: 6 year old? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Buchanan
msg tools
My son is six. He is a good reader and can play DC deck builder with very minimal help. Could he handle this game? I've had my eye on it for a while but my son is my gaming partner. I'm working on converting my wife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played it only twice or so. I found it difficult to track which cards, points and abilities had been played to which base and had to constantly reread and recalculate everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
How good is your kid at basic math? The game has a lot of adding ad subtracting you have to do on top of all the cards you need to read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Buchanan
msg tools
He's very good but if an adult was confused he's got no chance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Hebdon
United States
Idaho Falls
ID
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not think that this game is that confusing. There are even play mats out there that make it even easier so you do not have to do math every time you look at a base. I think after a few times your son will get the hang of this game, especially if you only get the base game with no expansions. Every card is pretty much self-explanatory, the only issue is remembering what you have in your hand and playing at certain times. This is a great game and I think that with a little time you and your son could really enjoy this game! Well worth the price!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Spangler
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Smash Up with my stepson who is also 6, and we've been playing since he was 5. It is not the same as playing with an adult, but we have a lot of fun. Occasionally I'll have to explain that the card he wants to play won't work in a situation, so if you don't mind that you'll be golden. Especially if your kid can play the DC Deck Builder - I've never played it but it seems about as complex as Smash Up. Regardless, even when my stepson plays the wrong card, he understands the basic rules of the game and just enjoys being killer dino-robots, or whatever. Go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Motes
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
First, I commend you for starting your child down the right path so early.

I'd agree that he could handle it if he is good with that DC deckbuilding game.

I might suggest using some dice or some other tally system to keep track of the running power total at each base, which you can just update with any change. As a long time gamer, it's not too bad for me to keep three running totals filed in my head, but continuously adding up these totals (which are almost always modified by card abilities) might be pretty frustrating for one so young.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
From my experience, this is definitely a game you could play with a 6 year old, especially if he has enough reading skill to play the DC deck builder. Kids are often more clever than we like to admit, and even if he needs a little assistance with the basic reading/math, I'm sure he would have an absolute blast.

As already suggested, it'd be a good idea to have some way to track the HP of the base (tokens, dice, paper) so you don't need to add it up every time.

And think of it this way; even if he has a bit of trouble with the reading and number tracking, why not get it anyways? Use Smash Up! as a good tool for aiding in not just reading, but reading comprehension (i.e. understanding how the text you just read affects the game/rules) and basic math. I mean, he's 6; he's only going to get older and smarter from here on out. Trust me, it's $25 well spent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.