Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Wadsworth
United Kingdom
Bolton
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If a player uses a bonus artefact to increase revenue then does that count as the one use of an artefact that is allowed for that turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
here comes bod wrote:
If a player uses a bonus artefact to increase revenue then does that count as the one use of an artefact that is allowed for that turn?

You are limited to "playing" one artifact a turn. So if you are flipping it, then it is your one play for the turn. If it is already in play and you are just benefiting from the ability, then you can still play another one this turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cockburn
United Kingdom
Sleaford
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
here comes bod wrote:

You are limited to "playing" one artifact a turn. So if you are putting it into play for the first time, then it is your one play for the turn. If it is already in play and you are just benefiting from the ability, then you can still play another one this turn.

That's not the way I've interpreted the rules. For example, at first I thought that owning the bonus artefact which gave farmers +1 income on the hills would effectively give each farmer 2 income throughout the game. Then I realised that you can only activity this bonus tile if you don't use a different artefact on your turn. At least, that's the way it makes sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mathmethman wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
here comes bod wrote:

You are limited to "playing" one artifact a turn. So if you are putting it into play for the first time, then it is your one play for the turn. If it is already in play and you are just benefiting from the ability, then you can still play another one this turn.

That's not the way I've interpreted the rules. For example, at first I thought that owning the bonus artefact which gave farmers +1 income on the hills would effectively give each farmer 2 income throughout the game. Then I realised that you can only activity this bonus tile if you don't use a different artefact on your turn. At least, that's the way it makes sense to me.

I disagree, but Steve will most likely be by soon enough to give final word.

We are talking a handful of artifacts only. Most artifacts are one and done. Bonus are not. They are listed in two places as being continual:

- The Bonus Artefacts are never turned face down, but may be used in every COLLECT REVENUE phase.

- NOTE: This Artefact is kept face up and used in every COLLECT REVENUE phase.

The implication is they automatically happen.

Though I would edit my answer above in the sense of playing an artifact. They are "in play" as soon as you purchase them. You flip them when using them. So as soon as the bonus are bought, they start working.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Kendall
United Kingdom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Thanks to one and all for teasing out this one. The Bonus Artefact was among the first to be added to the game and perhaps for this reason this issue has slipped under the radar when proofing the rules. We have always played that the Bonus automatically came into effect as soon as (i.e. the turn after) the Artefact was bought. However Paul is right that the rules suggest the Artefact should be played like any other. The problem with this though is that there would be little point in purchasing the Artefact in Book 3 (its cost being about equal to the maximum extra revenue) and probably not in Book 2 either. In the case of the Temple Bonus ..... why bother. We owe a big thanks here to Brian for finding an elegant compromise (one that can be interpreted from the rules, if not explained as fully as ought). Having to 'play' the Artefact (to get it in play) feels right (using up an Artefact play option) and being able to 'use' the Artefact in subsequent turns (without 'playing it' and therefore allowing other Artefacts to be played) delivers the desired effect.
The Bonus Artefact used in this way is / remains one of the important strategic considerations in the game, particularly when one appears in Book 1 Artefact array. Players will quickly realise that it could earn a considerable revenue through the game and therefore a race may ensue to buy the Bonus. The tendency then may be for that player's strategy to be Bonus driven - which can be effective, but needs to be carefully handled (a mass of one coin doesn't always deliver results).
Finally it might be worth considering whether a Bonus drawn in the initial set-up should be returned to the bag and re-drawn. It's one thing to win the race for a Bonus, another to be handed that advantage at game start.
Steve K
Ragnar Brothers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so my original, slightly flawed interpretation is the official ruling?

The first time you "play" (i.e. buy it) the Bonus artifact, it takes up "one slot" of played artifacts for the turn.

Then in subsequent turns it remains active and no longer takes up a slot for playing artifacts so another one can be played each turn going forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wadsworth
United Kingdom
Bolton
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Steve is saying that buying it and playing it are separate things. Buying an artefact happens at the end of a player's turn. In order for the artefact to start generating extra revenue it needs to be played during the Collect Revenue phase of a player's turn, bearing in mind that only one artefact may be played per turn. Once played it will generate bonus revenue for the rest of the game.

I agree about returning a bonus artefact if it is drawn by a player in the initial set-up. That would seem to be quite an advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cockburn
United Kingdom
Sleaford
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
here comes bod wrote:
I agree about returning a bonus artefact if it is drawn by a player in the initial set-up. That would seem to be quite an advantage.

Presumably the drawn bonus artefact would still need to be 'played' during the first turn to trigger any effect.

There is a slight advantage in drawing such a tile over buying the tile on your first turn - because by the time you bought it the phase for playing it may have passed. But the same is true of any one-off artefact drawn at the start of the game. So it's not all that obvious to me just how big an advantage a drawn bonus tile would give.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Kendall
United Kingdom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
mathmethman wrote:
here comes bod wrote:

Presumably the drawn bonus artefact would still need to be 'played' during the first turn to trigger any effect.

There is a slight advantage in drawing such a tile over buying the tile on your first turn - because by the time you bought it the phase for playing it may have passed. But the same is true of any one-off artefact drawn at the start of the game. So it's not all that obvious to me just how big an advantage a drawn bonus tile would give.

For example, in a two player game, the City Bonus can potentially generate an extra 8 Gold coins per Book to give 24 in total. Not likely to happen, but supposing even half that amount were collected this makes this Artefact three times more valuable than the equivalent Tribute Artefact. So a player who draws from the bag is gaining a big advantage, just through the luck of the draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.