Tide of Iron» Forums » General

Subject: Need playtesters for a new scenario rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ivan Radovic
Sweden
flag msg tools
Hi,

I´ve created a new scenario and would like to email it to a couple of people that are interested in testing it and come with feedback, before I officially post it on BGG.

The game takes place where Tide of Iron never has been, 1942/43 Balkans (Yugoslavia). The new faction is the Yugoslav partisans (plays with the russians components), so you will need the "fury of the bear" expansion.

The scenario takes place during the 1942 winter, just before Hitler launched the operation Weiss into the balkans.
A group of partisans makes a night attack on a village occupied by german 369th Infantry Division and tries to takeout two PAK 40s and inflict as much damage as possible before the german reinforcement arrives.

Its a fast played scenario (based on true events).

Let me know if you are interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clive holland
Thailand
wang nam khieo
nakhon ratchasima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am totally surprised you have not had any replies to this post. unless you have had PMs.

I would be interested in playtesting this scenario. I have recently been reading up on Tito's partisans so it would be great to get some hands on experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill jaffe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
i hope some folks help play test this scenario and i encourage folks to design and post scenarios.

bill jaffe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Radovic
Sweden
flag msg tools
Yes I have got a couple of PMs and there is 3 people interested so far. Clive could you please PM me your email address and I will send you the scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clive holland
Thailand
wang nam khieo
nakhon ratchasima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ivan, I have just finished playing your scenario a few times with Ray Guns. I won't post comments here as it may influence other play testers. I will write to you tomorrow with further details.

Great work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Beck
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally had a chance to get the ToI boxes out and play your scenario with my son twice, we swapped roles for the second game.

I had to make an assumption that the PaK40s were considered destroyed during the command phase as they were essentially objectives.

My first reaction when I looked at the scenario you sent was that it looked really nicely laid out. The description was pretty clear (except for maybe whether there were any special ways of capturing the objectives) and also the objective markers were really hard to spot on the snowy maps (In fact on the first set up I confused the command objectives for the PaKs and set up three of them instead of the three command objective counters... trucks in a building did seem weird!)

For the first game I played the Germans and my 9yo played the Yugoslavs. He immediately went for a frontal assault on the Western objective. The German troops took up positions on the two nearest command objectives and then hunkered down on op-fire to await the charging suicide squad. After several failed assaults on the Western objective the Yugoslavs were running out of troops. It turned out that the Western assault was merely a diversion as suddenly Yugoslavian troops switched their focus and rushed the anti-tank guns. The Germans were overwhelmed but managed a counter assault to reclaim one of the PaKs before the attackers could blow it up. At this point three Panzer IVs arrived and opened fire on the badly mauled Yugoslavs, killing the officer and his last few troops.

In the second game I played the Yugoslavians. I decided to learn from my son's mistake and sent the bulk of my forces into the village to the Eastern side of the battlefield. A couple of squads headed off to the western village to try and keep the Germans pinned down there.

The tactic worked perfectly and the Guns were captured in the third turn with the death of just one brave soldier.

All in all we both really enjoyed this scenario. I thought it would be a good one for my son to try as it was both a quick scenario and there weren't too many things for him to get distracted with (lots of different unit types for example).

In my opinion it will make a good introductory mission and also I love the historical context of the scenario. I will play this again as it is nice to have ToI scenarios that don't take all day to play yet are still tactically challenging and, most of all, fun to play!

I hope you don't mind me posting this here... If you prefer I can take it off and send you the report in an email
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Beck
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When my friend and I played the scenario, we took it that you had to destroy the guns by shooting them. Are you able to destroy them by capturing them instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clive holland
Thailand
wang nam khieo
nakhon ratchasima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you can only shoot at them to destroy them.

It is a fun scenario, as posted above it doesn't take all day to play, easy to set up and enjoyable to boot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Beck
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaiser33 wrote:
When my friend and I played the scenario, we took it that you had to destroy the guns by shooting them. Are you able to destroy them by capturing them instead?

You could be right but the scenario is not clear about this. If you have to shoot them then do the trucks need to be destroyed as well?

My logic about capturing them was that shooting them seemed too easy and I surmised that holding the gun hexes until the command phase would simulate the planting of charges/grenades to destroy them.

I'll play it again soon and try the 'shoot them' variant instead and see how it goes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clive holland
Thailand
wang nam khieo
nakhon ratchasima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good logic Jeff. I had just emailed Ivan saying perhaps the Germans need help here, by holding onto the hexes until the end of a game round may do just that. Even better if the trucks had to be shot at to destroy them.

Maybe just shoot the trucks and A/Ts to destroy them and then occupy their hexes until the end of a game turn whereby you get the victory point in the hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Radovic
Sweden
flag msg tools
Hi guys!

Sorry for my late response, was a busy week.
But had finally some time over tonight and played the scenarios once agin a couple of times.

Obviously its wasn't clear enough about how you destroy the PAKs.
You can only destroy them by shooting at them. I will make that more clear in the updated version of the scenario. also keep in mind that they receive the +1 save in the open (so they have a total of 3 cover!, making it not that easy to shoot/destroy).
If you would like a harder game you could add that you need to destroy both trucks as well.

We played it 4 times and the both sides won 2 times each.
For the Partisans the most effective strategy was to advanced through the middle (trying to avoid the german distraction). They usually got one of the PAKs lightly damaged by round 3 and in best case scenario destroyed one in round 4. But round 5 gets trickier for the Partisans when the tanks roll in. If the German player has the initiative in round 5 he should have the victory pretty easy by over running and pinning the squads next to the PAKs, securing the victory.

I also think about adjusting the command points. Replacing the German 1p with a neutral 2p and removing the neutral 1p completely. This way it gives way for more tactics and gives the Partisan player a chance to catch up with the initiative points (if they want).

If you have any more feedback please feel free to post here or email me.
Thank you!

Ivan R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.