Andrew Fillhart
United States
Pleasant Valley
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Visit my website: www.fillharttech.com where I blog about fixing retro game systems.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Archetype: Mage

Enchanter PDF v0.2

Class: Enchanter

After posting the monk class, I started thinking about a new caster class and was thinking of an interesting mechanic to play around with. What I thought of was the Enchanter class. What possibly makes this class interesting is the idea of using 1 of 4 element coins to enchant heroes and enemies (similar to the idea of the newly announced Bard class for SoN) making this class more of a utility class than the typical strait damage. To hopefully keep some balance, only one element coin can affect any one target/card at any one time.

Starting Equipment Skill/Gear:
Element Coins: Fire, Earch, Wind and Water
Weapon: Dazzling Rod: Blue/Yellow, Surge: +1 Rng, Surge + Surge: Immobilize, 2-handed
Trinket: Reinforced Cloak: Exhaust +1 Def
Skill: Enchanted Blast: 1 sta - Exhaust this card and add an element coin to your equipped weapon, remove any previous enchantment coins to gain the new effect:
- Fire: Attack gains burn
- Earth: Attack gains weaken
- Wind: Attack gains Pierce 1
- Water: Attack gains Poison

Starting gear notes:
-Coins, this will be the base of the hero's skills to use. These coins will be placed on different sheets/cards and kept there until used else where.
-Rod uses the yellow power die for added range also adding the +1 rng on 1 surge or immobilize (cause it's just so darn dazzling) to keep a monster in place
-The reinforce cloak was added to help keep the enchanter alive a bit longer.
-The fun part about each of the Enchanters skills is that there are 4 possible (and hopefully not over powered) choices. Each having an attempt to mimic what might happen with that element attached.

Level 1 Skills:
Enchant Weapon: Action - 1 Sta - Enchant an adjacent heroes weapon with an element coin, remove any previous enchantment coins to gain the new effect:
- Fire: Attack gains burn
- Earth: Attack gains weaken
- Wind: Attack gains Pierce 1
- Water: Attack gains Poison

Manipulate the Mind: Action - 2 Sta - Target a monster up to 3 spaces away from you and add an element coin to the target's base, remove any previous enchantment coins to gain the new effect:
- Fire: Target takes 1Dmg at the end of each overlord turn
- Earth: Target takes -1 Def after defense dice have been rolled
- Wind: Target reduces attack dmg by -1 after attack dice have been rolled
- Water: +1 MP for each space after the 2nd space entered.

Enchanted Ground: Action - 2 Sta - Target an empty space up to 3 spaces away from you and place an element coin, remove any previous enchantment coins to gain the new effect:
- Fire: Monsters now consider this space lava
- Earth: Monsters now consider this space rubble, blocking movement and LoS
- Wind: Monsters now consider this space and each adjacent space as having fog, blocking LoS
- Water: Monsters now consider this space and each adjacent space as water

Level 1 skill notes:
-The enchant weapon of an adjacent hero mirrors the starting skill of the enchanter but requires an action to do so as it takes more concentration to imbue a weapon of a very impatient hero.
-Mind manip was a fun way to attempt to debuff a monster using each coin.
-Enchant ground was another fun attempt to debuff monsters by affecting the ground they move and attack through.

Level 2 Skills:
Heroic Resolve: Action - 2 Sta - Target a hero up to 3 spaces from you with an element coin, remove any previous enchantment coins to gain the new effect:
- Fire: All attacks gain +2 Dmg
- Earth: Hero gains +2 HP to all healing affects
- Wind: +1 to desired stat for skill checks (place token on buffed stat)
- Water: Hero gains Surge: +1 Sta

Massive Manipulation: Action - X Sta - Target a monster group and spend stamina up to the number of monsters currently on the board. Place an element coin on that monster group and hero tokens next to each affected monster, remove any previous enchantment coins to gain the new effect:
- Fire: Each attack, -1 dmg after roll
- Earth: Each defense, -1 def after roll
- Wind: Remove 1 surge from each attack
- Water: +1 MP for each space after 2nd

Twisted Elemental Blast: Action - 2 Sta - Make an attack targeting a monster, pick one coin combo and place them on your equipped weapon. This attack gains:
- Fire + Water: +2 Dmg
- Fire + Earth: Blast
- Fire + Wind: Fire Breath
- Water + Earth: Immobilize
- Water + Wind: Pierce 2
- Earth + Wind: Poison & Disease

Level 2 skill notes:
-The heroic resolve skill was an attempt to start buffing the heroes by placing a coin on their sheet in one way or another.
-Mass Manip is basically an improved version of the level 1 skill that can target a massive group of monsters and debuff them all one way or another
-Finally, twisted elemental blast was an fun way to combine all the elements into two coins and see what came of it.

Level 3 Skills:
Catastrophe: Action - 3 Sta - Place all four element coins on your equipped weapon and make an attack targeting all figures up to 2 spaces away from you (this attack does not affect you nor do you need range), this attack gains:
- Surge: +2 Dmg
- Surge: +1 Dmg, Pierce 1
- Surge: Pierce 2
- Surge Surge: Pierce 3

Enchanted Form: 2 Sta - Exhaust this card and take on the form of one element coin, place this coin next to your hero base, remove any previous enchantment coins to gain the new effect:
- Fire: Add one red power die to your attack pool
- Earth: Add black defense die to your defense pool
- Wind: Cannot be the target of attacks nor can your hero make any attacks. You may move through enemies as long as you end in an empty space
- Water: End of each turn gain +1 HP and Stamina but deal -2 Dmg to all attacks.

Level 3 Skill notes:
-This attack by the enchanter consumes all the coins and unleashes a world of pain on any figures (monster and hero alike) that get caught up in the elemental vortex. The idea was to add a bunch of surge uses to this attack but it might need some updating
-The enchanted form was a last minute epiphany while looking over ideas for a final lvl 3 skill. This idea came up and hopefully works as a final skill.

Thanks to everyone that reviews this class and gives any positive feedback/tweaks to help balance this class out. It's a heavy class to try and build into an alpha state (especially while sick). Hopefully a lot of these ideas make sense and are not too over the top or outlandish.

Links to my other custom classes:
Custom healer: Druid
Custom warrior: Monk
Custom scout: Ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
the concept in general is interesting, but there are a couple of questions and imbalances..

first: is there only 1 coin of each element? if it would be it would remove alot of wording on the cards and work similar to the bards harmony and melody tokens, I probably could help with the wording here again.

some elemental "unbalances" are within the cards that we probably have to take care of, there are quite alot - some choices compared to others are especially weak.

If you dont mind I can once again help you with the images and see what I can find as pictures for the eq.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Fillhart
United States
Pleasant Valley
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Visit my website: www.fillharttech.com where I blog about fixing retro game systems.
mbmbmbmbmb
Please, take a look and balance as you like. Again I was trying generate this class while my head was foggy from being sick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sorry i didnt want come rude with my talking, i just mostly express what i am thinking without much thought. Your ideas are good but they need some tuning

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
here is the other half... i hope you like the ideas and balance (probably still is a bit over the top)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Fillhart
United States
Pleasant Valley
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like what you've done here with my idea. I like some of the changes yhat needed to changed for obvious reasons. I'll review more tomorrow with any other tweaks and such. Great job!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
infuse soil probably needs some heavy rewording... it just takes too much space on the card with a more precise wording >_

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Morthai wrote:
infuse soil probably needs some heavy rewording... it just takes too much space on the card with a more precise wording >_

Also, being able to block a 3x3 square indefinitely (earth token), is kind of cheesy in almost all quest. At least Geomancer's stones can be destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Fillhart
United States
Pleasant Valley
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:
Morthai wrote:

Also, being able to block a 3x3 square indefinitely (earth token), is kind of cheesy in almost all quest. At least Geomancer's stone can be destroyed.

I had only intended the 3x3 grids to be water and fog. As this class is still in alpha phase, there is plenty of stuff to work out, tweak and change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Fillhart
United States
Pleasant Valley
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While we work out the details for Enchanter, I've just posted a new thread for my custom scout: Ninja. Please take a look and give your advise. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zerrian wrote:

I had only intended the 3x3 grids to be water and fog. As this class is still in alpha phase, there is plenty of stuff to work out, tweak and change.

yeah but the wording would probably exceed the card by far. probably shrink it to a single space and it is still a good skill, maybe dump down to 1 fatigue and it is fine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Fillhart
United States
Pleasant Valley
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morthai wrote:
yeah but the wording would probably exceed the card by far. probably shrink it to a single space and it is still a good skill, maybe dump down to 1 fatigue and it is fine

Sounds like a good idea to me, lets try that out and see what happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
update infuse soil abothe

any other suggestions, changes or anything else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Fillhart
United States
Pleasant Valley
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, that skill has the only complaints I've seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Fillhart
United States
Pleasant Valley
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Posted my custom healer: Druid. That's all my custom classes for now. Next step will be designing a hero to go along with these classes. Now to wait on my brother for the art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Mott
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
This is an interesting class. Several things come to mind about it:

1) I'm concerned about balance, particularly when an Elementalist places all the element tokens on one hero's card or weapon. I think in certain cases, that could become so powerful that using other Elementalist skills is not compelling. For example, consider this:

Elementalist + Runemaster. At the end of the Prelude, the Elementalist purchases Elemental Aid, and the Runemaster purchases Exploding Rune. Elementalist uses Elemental Aid four times on the Runemaster. Now the Runemaster can use Exploding Rune to make an attack with Poison, +1 [damage], Pierce 1, and Blast. Just for kicks, combine it with basically any Rune (http://d2edb.zbmott.net/search/results/) and see what happens!

Maybe you can get around this by saying an object can only have 1 element token on it at a time?

2) Catastrophe is rigged. I think it should be a 3 or possibly even 4 [fatigue] ability. Also, using this ability with Act 2 items will produce attack pools like [blue][yellow][yellow][green][green][green], which is excessive. An average roll with this pool yields something like 7-8 [damage], 3-4 [surge], 4-6 Range. (Then combine it with Mana Weave and the Sun Stone! Or Disciple's Divine Fury and/or Apothecary's Secret Formula! If you can't tell, I play as the Overlord against a group of serious power gamers. This is what they would do to me.)

I think I would honestly rewrite the ability. This is off the cuff and may be just as rigged, so take it with a grain of salt:
Catastrophe - [action], 3 [fatigue]: Place each elemental boon token in your play area. As you place each token, make an attack against a monster in your line of sight according to the token you placed. These attacks ignore range.
[earth]: [red][green], [surge]: Stun, [surge]: Move the target 1 space.
[fire]: [red][red], You may force the target to reroll 1 defense die, [surge]: Blast, [surge]: Burn.
[water]: [yellow][yellow][green], [surge]: Immobilize, [surge][surge]: +2 [damage].
[air]: [green][green][green]: [surge]: Pierce 2, [surge]: Pierce 2, [surge]: Weaken.

Some pros to this approach: Still has elemental flavor. Attacks can't miss. Defense pools get rolled for each attack.
Some cons to this approach: Still (ridiculously?) powerful. Attacks can't miss. What happens if the Elementalist targets the same monster Lieutenant with all four attacks?

3) I think the [fire] effect for Mental Bonds is too powerful -- 1 [fatigue] to deal 2 [damage] that the Overlord has no chance to mitigate. Two [damage] is an instant kill on weak monsters like Goblin Archers and Fire Imps. Maybe it should read:
[fire]: This monster gains the Burning condition at the start of its activation.

Now that I think of it, [air] is really good too. It effectively halves a monster's speed, rounding down. Forcing it to treat every space as a water space is pretty good for a 1 experience/1 [fatigue] skill, especially given how many race quests there are. Maybe [air] should decrease the speed by 1 (2?) to a minimum of 1?

4) How does Recall Spirits work with [water] and [air]? Is it a one-time effect, or does it happen at the end of each turn?

5) I love Infuse Soil, and I wish the game had more effects like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Fillhart
United States
Pleasant Valley
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@ZBMott's long list of points:

A thing to point out, each skill comes with a Stamina cost, so eventually, the Enchanter will run out of stamina (unless being fed stam potions) the other thing, each skill is exhausted after 1 use.

So to take on point one regarding over buffing. This would take at least 4-5/6+ rounds and having the the target hero 1 space away each round plus it requires an action, in regards to your scenario. By that time, I would hope the OL has taken advantage of this and moved closer to his encounter goals. To me, this is a bit silly, but then again I'm not overly competitive, I'm a team player. As a fellow (always) OL, I feel for you, it's tough playing against my brother and cousins, they're mad 'Litists, lol.

Also, the thought was that each element buff by the Enchanter would be given to the appropriate hero. If it requires stating that each hero can only have one enchanting/element coin, then it'll be made.

Point 2) I had overlooked the added green power dice. This is probably a bit over the top and we'll look at reworking it with or without some of your suggestions (which are all good and valid)

Point 3) As a lvl 1 spell, this does seem a bit much now that I think about it for fire. Taking that down to 1 dmg falls in line with the Burn spell but makes it permanent. I also like your idea for the air coin and reducing target's MP by -1 rather than increasing moving costs.

Point 4) Good question, to me, it's a one shot item. Considering the amount of the heal, it should be limited to once per encounter or reduced effect.

Point 5) I'm glad you like it, it was my initial way of effecting the game tiles, which hasn't really been done yet besides the Stalker class.

Keep up the great feedback, I really like it. Anyone else that has a point to make, please feel free too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Valid points made i will revisit the cards mentioned

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zerrian wrote:

Point 4) Good question, to me, it's a one shot item. Considering the amount of the heal, it should be limited to once per encounter or reduced effect.

dont forget that you have to move the water and air token off the card to reuse this card (which costs alot of stamina)

probably you also have to set a general rule for elemental boon tokens
"The term "move onto" for Elemental boon tokens means to move the token from his current location onto the new location. The current location and the new location cannot be the same."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh! So the intended use is that you cannot "move" a token on a card if it is already there, therefore negating repeated use of the same skill with the same token (unless stated otherwise).

I didn't get it the first time I read the class description.

I love this quirk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was unpleased with the elemental coin look, what you think about this?:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morthai wrote:

Nice, but I'd leave an icon along with the colored pattern for two reasons:
1) Water and Air are too much similar, and
2) Colorblind people would have a hard time discerning Fire from Earth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
couldnt you have posted that earlier cry?

I would probably leave it for the moment, and see if it would be really an issue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morthai wrote:
couldnt you have posted that earlier cry?

I would probably leave it for the moment, and see if it would be really an issue

Actually... I couldn't, sorry.
But maybe I am simply over-worrying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Fillhart
United States
Pleasant Valley
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morthai wrote:

I really like the look of this as well, more unique then I had envisioned. I thought of just symbols on the coins. Although Painkeeper does have a point about color blind people. Who knows, lets see what others think as well.

Great job Morthai! Always exceeding my expectations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.