Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

Last year was my first time at Gen Con. We stayed in one of the hotels ~10 miles out and drove downtown (and searched for parking) each day.

After doing that for three straight days, I'm not too excited about doing it again this year. However, as much as I love to stay within walking distance, I'm not thrilled with the $180+ hotel rooms downtown. I think the best option is to stay further out again but use the shuttle, but I'm nervous since I don't know how well that works.

Does anyone have past experience using the shuttles? Do they run frequently enough to be useful? Do they run late enough that I'd still be able to do stuff at night downtown?

I'd greatly appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the trap of Gencon. I didn't have that much trouble finding parking, if you actually get going at 9AM, not 11. I would look into splitting with more people, Go with another couple, and the room is suddenly 95 a night, not 190. It's not like you spend time in the room other than sleeping and showering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was my experience as well. As long as you were there by 9am parking was easy. But after 11am, good luck, though we did find a spot 3 blocks away underneath the Mall, with inside walkways all the way to the convention center. And on Saturday and Sunday, you really need to be there early. Love the hotel pricing 10 miles away at half the city prices. Worth the drive and parking for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mmm Beer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I used the shuttle from Plainfield last year, and it was always late by a minimum of 15min even in the morning. So using the schedule provided was a crap shoot. (especially at 10pm)

The bus itself was comfortable (tour bus type), but I did notice one morning trip there weren't enough seats for everyone. (8:30am) From what I heard the Plainfield route had the most passengers.

That said, I'll be doing the shuttle again this year...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I booked a hotel on the outskirts again so I'm either driving or taking the shuttle. Maybe I'll try it the first day and see how it goes. I'd like to avoid driving down there, but I didn't have too much trouble finding parking last year so the shuttle might be more hassle than it's worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.