Hide
4 Posts

Pandemic» Forums » Rules

Subject: Borrowed Time and Discard Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
will prouty
msg tools
Hi. This question has come up twice during game sessions.

Player One has completed the Action Phase of her turn, draws 2 cards, which brings brings her to a total of 8 cards. Over the hand limit, she must discard one card or use an Event Card. She holds the Borrowed Time Card. Can she use this to grant Player Two extra actions on the next turn? Basically gifting the +2 actions to the next player after resolving the Infection Step of Player One's turn? The advantage of this would be to avoid discard of another card(not to mention the extra moves).

If the Borrowed Time Card cannot be used to benefit the next player, can Player One discard Borrowed Time in lieu of a City Card if she wishes?
It didn't seem totally legit to use Borrowed Time to give the next player +2 actions after Player One has drawn new cards, but I couldn't find a rule specifically prohibiting this move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Pandemic in a while, but I do recall that the drawing of 2 cards is deemed to be one continuous action. In other words, you cannot play an Event Card in between the two draws.

In other words, player one has to discard one of his/her 8 cards after the two draws.

And yes, the card discarded can be Borrowed Time, but it will not have any effect on any player.

Edit: I just checked the rules and I think what I wrote above may be wrong. The rules says "Players may play Special Event Cards (including any they have just drawn) instead of discarding them, to help reduce their hand to 7." It therefore sounds like what you wrote above is legit.

2nd Edit: I should add that there is an FAQ on the game entry page of Pandemic. Reading through it also suggests that your interpretation is legit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squiz
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would assume you could discard borrowed time but it wouldn't have any effect because the actions step is over for the current player, and has not yet started for the next player. Same would apply for the mobile ambulance card.

However a card like commercial travel ban or remote treatment could be played just after the player cards are drawn.

That's just the way I would interpret it. I'm sure Tom will weigh in soon and tell us the score
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't play Borrowed Time for any meaningful effect. What would happen is: It gives the current player (that's you!) two more actions - which of course, can be used during your action step. But you're already on your draw 2 cards step, and in fact, just finished it - so your turn would end, and the next player's turn would then start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.