Popular Tags: [View All]
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, maybe not "definitive" but I hope it helps. I finally got off my lazy butt and took this picture. It shows how the Battlelore 2nd edition scale up to other official scales. I felt this would be good after FINALLY getting an official quote from FFG:

Christian T. Petersen: "Hi there! I wanted to clarify that BL2 miniatures indeed are not in the same scale as Descent: Journey's in the Dark. FFG never planned, or announced for this to be the case. The models for BL2 are indeed about 20%-30% smaller than D:JitD."

So in this picture we see a 15/18mm figure, a BL1 figure (true scale unknown), a 1:72 figure (fantasy figures in this scale are very rare), 2 BL2 figures, a true 25mm scale figure, and a 28mm (Heroic) figure.

As we can see, BL2 is not rally compatible with any scale. Won't stop you from using other scale figures, but might mess with the visuals of your game. Hope this helps.

15mm...BL1...1:72...BL2...BL2...25mm...28mm (Heroic)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is excellent to see. ~22mm figures makes the game less interesting to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zaccardi
United States
Coral Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good. Thanks for doing this. I haven't had the chance to get my hands on 2nd edition yet, but my previous belief was they were standard 28mm. I see that's not the case.

Now for my opinion on this: I am sure there is some reason FF went with a different scale (cost?) but not going with a standard size is odd to me. This was the chance to make things right with BL players who want to easily add customs. I can't image using 28mm scale would have been a huge cost adder to the BOM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The BL2 miniatures are closer to 25mm, if you notice the double base on the 25mm figure, but much thinner (which is probably more proportionate.

In FFGs defense, it is a board game, not a miniature game, so conforming to standard scales isn't really obligatory. In a way I think it's kind of neat to have a certain level of unique product identity. The BL1 miniatures were an abnormal scale as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zaccardi
United States
Coral Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
grubman wrote:
In FFGs defense, it is a board game, not a miniature game, so conforming to standard scales isn't really obligatory.

Agreed, it's not obligatory. It would have been a nice gesture to go standard scale. But to most players it does not impact the buying decision.

grubman wrote:
The BL1 miniatures were an abnormal scale as well.

Indeed, it pains me greatly. Thus the forlorn, and now unanswered wish, for 2nd edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Rodda
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would imagine you could still easily add new units to the game from other ranges. If they are a little taller/shorter or thinner/fatter it doesn't really matter, that kind of thing won't be that noticeable once you get everything on the board. This goes double for big non-scale items like monsters or siege weapons, as long as they are roughly in scaleish they will be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzych Kowalczyk
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grubman wrote:

In FFGs defense, it is a board game, not a miniature game, so conforming to standard scales isn't really obligatory.

I would agree with you completely, if not for the following, which was clearly stated in the FFG announcement of Battlelore 2e:

Quote:
n addition, the figures included in BattleLore Second Edition are presented in a different scale than the units used in the first edition of BattleLore. Rather than the 20 mm scale used by the original BattleLore, BattleLore Second Edition presents its figures on a 28 mm scale. This new scale allows the armies of the Daqan Lords and the Uthuk Y’llan to be rendered with a new level of detail...

I, for one, feel cheated and lied to. Twice, given Mr. Petersen's statement quoted above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DonSilvarro wrote:
Quote:
n addition, the figures included in BattleLore Second Edition are presented in a different scale than the units used in the first edition of BattleLore. Rather than the 20 mm scale used by the original BattleLore, BattleLore Second Edition presents its figures on a 28 mm scale. This new scale allows the armies of the Daqan Lords and the Uthuk Y’llan to be rendered with a new level of detail...

I, for one, feel cheated and lied to. Twice, given Mr. Petersen's statement quoted above.

Yeah, they say it in the Gen Con video too. Where is the above quote found?

I guess along the way someone got some misinformation and spoke too soon, or someone thought something that wasn't true. I doubt if the intent was to deceive...but I can see how people could be upset. If I had plans to use these another games, or to use other miniatures with BL, or to do conversions, I would be upset too (well, a little anyway).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.