1 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First game, solo against Azathoth rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam McCanna
United States
flag msg tools
I finally got a table big enough to play Arkham Horror, and decided to treat myself to a solo run-through to familiarize myself with everything before teaching my girlfriend.

I had slowly gone through the rulebook over the previous week, a bit at a time, so I needed some refreshing, and I sat down at around 3:30pm with a pot of coffee, a six-pack of coke, some of little debbie's finest treats, and the beautiful green box.

I ran through the rulebook as i was setting everything up, taking my time, and by shortly after 4pm I was ready to play. Being not only a geek, but also a subGenius, i decided to play as Bob the salesman, and randomly chose Azathoth to go up against.

The first few rounds went a bit slowly, as i had a ton of info to look up, but I got the hang of it quickly, and the next thing I know, three and a half hours have past, my coffee is gone, little debbie is on her last legs, and arkham has just been overrun.

For those who may not know what this means, there can only be a certain number of monsters on the board at a time, depending on the number of players. That is, until the terror track reaches it's maximum. Then the limit vanishes and they start piling up. Let's just say the board quickly filled up with monsters, and I had a heck of a time moving around anywhere without having to shotgun a path through all manner of ghastly creatures...

I kept struggling though, and at a quarter to 9pm, I closed and sealed my sixth gate, winning the game just moments before Azathoth destroyed the world...(he was at 13 out of 14 on his doom track).

After having played, I was thrilled. It took many hours, there was a LOT to keep track of, and some mistakes were made, but I had a blast playing, even though it was solo. I found that having so much to keep track of, in combination with watching the terror and doom tracks skyrocket really gave me some anxiety that fit the theme perfectly... I felt like I was losing my mind, but then again, after a pot of coffee, a six-pack of coke, no real food, and 5 hours of staring at a board full of bits, I probably WAS.

All in all, I can't wait to play with more people. I found solo play to be incredibly helpful in learning the game, and although I enjoyed it quite a bit, I probably won't be doing it again any time soon. I'm just not sure I'd survive it if there was a next time.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.