Adam Daulton
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For possibly the last time, I joined a couple of fellow Indianapolis Invasion players, and made the journey to Louisville to play in the Long Winter Final Blowout Warhammer Invasion tourney. Steve is great at organizing these events and FFG sent down a ton of stuff. I walked way with a box, quite a few alternate art cards, and 2 play mats. Thanks FFG and thanks to Something2Do for running the event!

We stayed in a hotel the night before, because of the bad weather, played some multi-player on Friday night and again Saturday morning, and then played in the tournament all day Saturday. I decided to play Lizardmen, because I’ve attempted them several times over the years and now I think they are finally somewhat close. I’ve with the exception of a single tourney where I played High Elves, I’ve always played Chaos and Orcs, so this was stepping out to the “good” side. We played with the new Poland FAQ and Rules.

Round 1 – Steve/Dwarves (0-2)
Steve and I figured we first played Invasion together about 3 years ago. I feel that though I’ve done pretty well in tournaments with Steve in them, I’ve not done so well against Steve himself. Today was nothing different. His quest Dwarf deck with Stand Your Ground and King K just was way too much in game 1. Game 2 was much closer, but yet again I fell a couple damage short and now I was climbing out of a big hole. Thanks again Steve for organizing a fun time!

Round 2 – Matt/Orcs (2-0)
I’ve got to know Matt a bit over the past year since he’s been playing Invasion. It is cool talking to another dad about our kids and games. Matt is all about the Orcs. He was playing a Grimgor control deck, but with no legend. I was able to control him, by playing Corb Polybog, and saying no to Troll Vomit. That kept all my guys out and then Scar-Leader took the games down.

Round 3 – Charles/Empire (2-0)
Charles was making a go of it with a neat Quest based Empire deck that would steal resources from his opponent. However, once again the control was able to happen thanks to Corb. First game I called out The Church of Sigmar and then second game, after I’d played him once, I went with Called Back which kept him down and got me the victory relatively easy the second game. I liked that Charles went with a different idea for Empire.

Round 4 – John/Chaos (2-1)
John flew/drove all the way from Seattle! That is so awesome. He and his brother have only played each other, but made the special trip, and were absolute great guys. He was playing a Chaos corruption deck. Game 1 I played Corb and called Brayherd and then he didn’t even have it. So second game I stopped him with Blood Dragon Knight. Though it didn’t help, because he got too much control on me, then wiped me out. I was winning game 3 when time was called, so got the win (even though we both agreed I would have won anyways as I had a huge board control). John was excellent and I played 3 games with him after the tourney as well.

Well, I finished tied for 2nd, with 3 others that were 3-1. However, because I beat John, who had a bye earlier in the tourney, I finished in 5th and didn’t make the Top 4. Sean did though and was able to beat the #1 seeded Brian and his dwarves. Sean took his Skaven and went on to defeat the #2 seeded Phillip/Lizardmen, and won the Final Big Tourney with the Skaven Rush. Charles had a special glass trophy made that Sean took home along with all the other great swag we all got. It was a really fun day, with lots of good games and laughter. I’m sad this is it, though I wouldn’t mind a Second Annual Long Winter tourney in 2015. Here is the final breakdown of the races as I remember them.

Empire – 2
Dwarves – 3
High Elves - 1
Lizardmen – 2
Wood Elves – 0
Orcs – 3
Chaos – 1
Dark Elf - 0
Skaven – 1
Undead - 0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rivera
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks for sharing.
thumbsup
I am surprised no Dark Elves or Undead entries.

would the participants know in advance which race is being represented by who and which race has zero entry ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Daulton
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No we didn't know going in who was playing what. We also had several people not able to make it due to weather, so that might've changed a slight bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.