United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

I was huge huge HUGE magic player back in the day. I still try to play from time to time but for the most part, the mountains of boxes of cards i aquired years ago have sat unplayed for years.

I was curious about prices the other day, and checked out what dual lands are currently selling for. I was ASTOUNDED at the prices people are getting for them now.

So, this weekend i pulled my boxes out of the attic and pulled out my complete set of dual lands (4 of each type).

Although the sentimental part of me hates to part with them, for the prices people are getting for them now, i knew it was time to give them a new home.

So, this weekend i put them up on ebay and we'll see how it goes. I didnt want to turn this post into a shill so i won't include a link to it, but i put the lot up for a price that seemed like it was competitive with what others were selling their cards for.

So i guess my general question to the group is, how much would you pay for such a set? I know the condition of the cards matters greatly... i would say that the bulk of my cards fall into the "near mint" to "slightly played" category......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Before putting them on ebay, I would ask for advice in a dedicated Magic forum because there's an awful lot of money involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
General_Norris wrote:
Before putting them on ebay, I would ask for advice in a dedicated Magic forum because there's an awful lot of money involved.

We have a pretty great forum here and I wouldn't be shocked to see someone make you an offer. Otherwise I'd recomend MTGSalvation or even see what ChannelFireball or StarCityGames would offer you.

Could you post pictures?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. This really isn't the place to find serious Magic dealers and collectors - and they're almost certainly the only ones ready to fork over that much cash at once. Actual players looking to get into Legacy (or using duals for EDH) are much more likely to buy only what they immediately need and fill out the rest later.

However, given that duals are one of the few true blue-chip investments in MtG, I'd assume that they'd sell rather close to the sum of their individual market prices. If a dealer can get 10-20% off the individual values, that should generate enough profit to make it worth their while. But that's all guesswork, really. Better to ask at the forums at MTGSalvation or similar places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Loblah
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
stagger lee wrote:
We have a pretty great forum here and I wouldn't be shocked to see someone make you an offer. Otherwise I'd recomend MTGSalvation or even see what ChannelFireball or StarCityGames would offer you.

I would expect you to get far more money selling to an individual via the likes of eBay than to a store or website who want to turn around and resell them, even if it is a bit more hassle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, i agree. Thats why i went the ebay route. If i am finaly going to part with these (which honestly hurts me to do.. i love Magic), i wanted to sell it for their full price to someone who hopefully loves the game as much as i do.

As for posting pictures, sure. When i get home tonight, i can post the pictures that i am using for the ebay auction.

For the record, i put them up on ebay late Saturday night and have no offers yet, but a decent number of people watching the auction.

And thanks for the mention of MTGSalvation. I had never heard of it. As i said, i've mostly been out of the magic game for a while now, so ive missed much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
MTGSalvation is not having hte best reputition around legacy players is what I have observed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
mbmbmbmb
MTGSalvation is good when it gets to spoiler season, but apart from that it's not so great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will DeMorris
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this is your auction here?

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

With the recent scare of high quality fakes flooding the market, the MtG community is gun shy of purchasing big $$ cards from anyone without a rock solid reputation. Here are a couple of threads that discuss the HQ fakes originating from China:

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=579527

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/27693_Counterfeit-Cards...

Personally I would not bid on this auction. The asking price seems more than fair but I will not lay out this kind of money for cards that I can not examine myself in person unless they came from someone I have done business with in the past.

My advice to you, If the auction is unsuccessful; is to contact one of the larger MtG dealers such as Star City Games, Channel Fireball, Cool Stuff Inc, etc and try to work out a deal directly. Sure you won't get full retail for your cards but it could be one transaction and then you're done.

My intention is to not come across as harsh, but give you an honest take on the MtG singles market as it exists today. If there's any other information of help I can give, please let me know. Good luck with your sale.

-Will

*edited with the correct auction I hope*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bulwyf wrote:
Is this is your auction here?

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

With the recent scare of high quality fakes flooding the market, the MtG community is gun shy of purchasing big $$ cards from anyone without a rock solid reputation. Here are a couple of threads that discuss the HQ fakes originating from China:

Personally I would not bid on this auction. The asking price seems more than fair but I will not lay out this kind of money for cards that I can not examine myself in person unless they came from someone I have done business with in the past.

My advice to you, If the auction is unsuccessful; is to contact one of the larger MtG dealers such as Star City Games, Channel Fireball, Cool Stuff Inc, etc and try to work out a deal directly. Sure you won't get full retail for your cards but it could be one transaction and then you're done.

My intention is to not come across as harsh, but give you an honest take on the MtG singles market as it exists today. If there's any other information of help I can give, please let me know. Good luck with your sale.

-Will

*edited with the correct auction I hope*

Yup, thats me.

And no worries... you didnt come across as harsh as all. I appreciated the feedback. After all, the reason i posted was to see if my price was fair and reasonable

And i understand your concerns. I don't know if i would pay that kind of money to a private ebay seller either. I think the most i ever paid for something on ebay was $500. I've bought things and sold a few things on ebay over the years, so my rating is now almost 100 with 100% positive feedback, but i totally understand what you are saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That depends on the set they are from and the condition of the cards. As Robert said, you'll get better prices if you sell them separately rather than a whole set, maybe per playset. Here's a good visual guide to help you determine the edition of your cards if you don't know:
http://www.abugames.com/Magic_the_Gathering_Edition_Guide.ht...

For something highly sought after like the original dual lands, you really want to do your research before selling. Online stores like Channelfireball and StarCityGames tend to sell cards on the high end of prices.
I like tcgplayer.com to look up what people are actually willing to pay for cards. It aggregates going prices from several sources and shows the highs and lows of selling prices. I'd go with the mid prices as a minimum of how much to sell your cards.

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/all_magic_sets.asp

If you look up individual cards, take Underground Sea for example, a single card sells on average for $178 for a Revised edition vs. $4732.90 for an Alpha edition!
http://store.tcgplayer.com/magic/product/show?productname=un...

EDIT: Just took a look at your ebay listing. So you know they are from Revised and they do appear to be in nice condition so you know what to look up to check on prices. A bit of a suggestion, sharper images might go better for selling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also might be better off selling playsets of each individual set. There are plenty of people who would gobble up the blue based ones and pay top dollar... but Scrublands and Savannahs would only appeal to folks who want to get a good deal on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
secoAce wrote:
That depends on the set they are from and the condition of the cards. As Robert said, you'll get better prices if you sell them separately rather than a whole set, maybe per playset. Here's a good visual guide to help you determine the edition of your cards if you don't know:
http://www.abugames.com/Magic_the_Gathering_Edition_Guide.ht...

For something highly sought after like the original dual lands, you really want to do your research before selling. Online stores like Channelfireball and StarCityGames tend to sell cards on the high end of prices.
I like tcgplayer.com to look up what people are actually willing to pay for cards. It aggregates going prices from several sources and shows the highs and lows of selling prices. I'd go with the mid prices as a minimum of how much to sell your cards.

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/all_magic_sets.asp

If you look up individual cards, take Underground Sea for example, a single card sells on average for $178 for a Revised edition vs. $4732.90 for an Alpha edition!
http://store.tcgplayer.com/magic/product/show?productname=un...

EDIT: Just took a look at your ebay listing. So you know they are from Revised and they do appear to be in nice condition so you know what to look up to check on prices. A bit of a suggestion, sharper images might go better for selling.

yup, they are all from revised, which had just been released when i started buying into magic. I know the prices of alpha/beta/unlimited cards... believe me, i wish i had started collecting about 6 months earlier!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
Also might be better off selling playsets of each individual set. There are plenty of people who would gobble up the blue based ones and pay top dollar... but Scrublands and Savannahs would only appeal to folks who want to get a good deal on them.

Pete, when you say 'playsets', i take it you mean selling 4 underground seas, 4 savanahs, etc, as individual auctions, correct?

I had considered that, as during my research last week it certainly seemed that those kinds of auctions were selling like hotcakes. Chalk it more up to my laziness than anything else to try to do it this way first...I really didnt want to bother with many different auctions if i could help it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Loblah
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Bulwyf wrote:

Thanks for mentioning this, as well as the links. I was only peripherally aware of the issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Tundra, Savannah, Underground Sea, and Tropical Island are the four revised duals in the 'current' counterfeit run.

At this particular moment, you may not be best to break the cards into singles or playsets because action on those four may be considerably impacted by fake-fear.

Because of the current situation, your best bet may be to bundle them as one-of-each lots of ten. There are plenty of people getting into commander whose prime need is exactly one of each, and by having lots that contain the six duals not-under-counterfeit-suspicion along with the four that would individually be suspect should lend a little more faith that your entire lot is genuine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
Tundra, Savannah, Underground Sea, and Tropical Island are the four revised duals in the 'current' counterfeit run.

At this particular moment, you may not be best to break the cards into singles or playsets because action on those four may be considerably impacted by fake-fear.

Because of the current situation, your best bet may be to bundle them as one-of-each lots of ten. There are plenty of people getting into commander whose prime need is exactly one of each, and by having lots that contain the six duals not-under-counterfeit-suspicion along with the four that would individually be suspect should lend a little more faith that your entire lot is genuine.

thanks mark... all this counterfeiting stuff is news to me. I guess i'll see how this auction shakes out, and then decide what to do from there if it doesnt sell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick update since some people had messaged me asking about my auction...

i am very happy to report that my cards sold! I got my asking price, and was quite happy about it.

I know that the cards would have probably sold for a bit more individually, but after scouring thru many other ebay auctions, i honestly dont think i would have gotten much more.

Add to that handling 10-40 individual sales/shipments versus just one shipment (which i insured up the wazzoo!), i think i made the right decision for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
slyde wrote:
Add to that handling 10-40 individual sales/shipments versus just one shipment (which i insured up the wazzoo!), i think i made the right decision for me.

Yup. I went through the same thinking when I had 8 duals + 3 Force of Will to sell a few years back. I likely could have gotten more by selling them a la carte, but then that's as many as 11 distinct shipments, 11 different customers any one of which could cause an issue for any number of reasons... was it worth the extra theoretical maybe-even-as-much-as-$100 to me to take on all that extra time and hassle? Nah. One trusted buyer, one transaction, one shipment, all done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.