flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

GAME LOG 1/26/14

GAME LENGTH:5 hours
NUMBER OF PLAYERS: 4
WINNER: Adam
END CARD: Sacred Pool

It was the first game of 2014 and so the first order of business was the award for the Most Wins of 2013! It turned out to be a tie between Shawn and Brian who both had a win ratio of 43%. Not that anyone is really playing to win and of course that’s the case since, as you can see, I did the least amount of it.

2013 Results

Brian - 43%
Shawn - 43%
Paul - 29%
Adam - 20%

I had an impossible time finding a company that would make me a custom trophy with a golden toad on top so they were both awarded with a T-shirt instead. This lead to a very creative discussion on the idea of custom made Talisman T-shirts based on cards in the deck.

Anyway, on to the game.

Shawn - Necromancer
Brian - Conjurer
Paul - Doomsayer
Adam - Warlock

After we had so much fun playing a revealed ending via The Hunt from the Nether Realm expansion last month, we opted to try it again. This time we went with Sacred Pool. The clock struck 11:28, everyone had a cup of coffee in hand, Brian announced he was going to kill one of us (he didn’t care who) and so the adventure began!

Being in the middle region at the start of the game I figured I would hang out there for a while and build myself up via the Temple. Getting to the Temple didn’t seem to be a problem, but rolling anything other than an 8 or 9 seemed to forever elude me. The Warlock’s special ability of gaining a full compliment of spells every turn meant this did not do much good at all. After a wasted half an hour of that I traipsed down to the outer region where, it seemed to me, all the action was happening.

Brian, who was having the bulk of the luck early on in the game drew Ice Queen’s Palace. He stood up and rolled, The die was hidden from me behind the huge tower of the adventure deck. “I rolled a 1” he said emotionlessly.

Adam: “How did you roll a 1?!”
Brian: “I stood up, rolled and it was a 1”

Ah. Right. A Toad you are.

Well that worked out OK for me since I had Eyes of the Hawk Spell so only needed to get within one die roll of it. Turns out I rolled the right number anyway and didn’t need to use it and all of Brian’s loot I grabbed, including three great weapons from The Reaper expansion - Sword of Light, Bane Sword and Fate Stealer! Things were looking up.

Everyone was focused on completing their quests as quickly as possible and it made for a fun game. Brian was the first to get his 4 rewards but Paul was hot on his heels with 3. Shawn and I were struggling to get ours completed. I was stuck with Deliver One Armour. Could I find a piece of armour? No. Could I find any money to go buy a piece of armour? No. Similarly, Shawn just couldn’t seem to complete his Travel to the Cursed Glade quest. How hard could that one be? I guess you just have to have the right roll. But his spirits were brightened when The Lunar Event Guiding Light was drawn. This allowed all characters to move any number of his spaces up to his die roll. Until Day Break that is which happened right before his next go. Shame.

At one point we all started moving Wolfie through the Dungeon knowing that whoever got to move him out via the Lord Of Darkness would get to pick who to place him on. For some unknown reason, we very rarely use this tactic with Death or Wolfie so it was rather hilarious when we finally did use it - Shawn was the one moving him and picked him up to send him to one of his foes when he realized we were all in the City! Since Wolfie can only go to a space in the outer or middle region it was a lost opportunity. But brilliant all the same.

Then Paul was Cursed by the Hag.
Shawn thought that was hilarious.
Until he drew Living Doll.

Shawn: “What can I do at the Chapel?”
Brian: “ You can pray”
Shawn: “I pray I can get rid of this Living Doll bitch”

There was an awful lot of Spell casting going on. We have been known to add custom cards to our decks and one of them happened to be a Spell called YOU! It basically sets the Reaper upon any character of your choice at any time.

Paul was the lucky fellow who had it is in hand.
Brian knew what it was.
Shawn had Mind Steal and cast it on Paul. He took the spell.
(Now all three of them knew which spell it was and i didn’t. There was lots of Oohs and Aahs going on that I wasn’t privy too. And then, all of a sudden the Oohs turned into YOU’s!!!)
Shawn cast YOU! on Brian.
Brian rolled a 5 and sent the Reaper to me and then....
...he cast misfortune which would make me roll a 1 and therefore instant death. (Now I know why he was giggling so much; he thought he was about to fulfill his earlier promise to kill one of us.)
However, I had other ideas and cast Counterspell on that Misfortune.
Then used my Lucky Charm to roll a 5 and sent the Reaper to Shawn instead.
Shawn rolled a 3 and then...
...decided this was all too much fun to not have another 5 be rolled so a fate he paid and rolled again!
He rolled a 1 and at 4:03pm the Necromancer was no more.

Man, that was a whole heap of fun to be had over one little spell!

At this point Brian and I both had 5 Quest Rewards and Paul was desperately trying to complete his fourth quest which was Visit the Temple. We were all in the middle region hanging around the Portal Of Power. I broke down the door, stepped in and on my next turn dropped the Cloak of Feathers and teleported to the Crown of Command for the win! This is the third time I have used this tactic and I am wondering when anyone else is going to try it or at least try to stop me from using it?

Now all I have to do is not play any more games this year and my win rate will be 100%.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An amusing and interesting session report, but why, oh why, didn't you do a Session Report for the game you played with "The Nether Region"?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure I did...it may not have been posted and is floating around somewhere in the ether...I will have to look around to see if I can locate it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adjogi wrote:
I am sure I did...it may not have been posted and is floating around somewhere in the ether...I will have to look around to see if I can locate it!
I would greatly appreciate it if you would, especially since as far as I can tell no one has EVER posted a session report including "The Nether Realm"soblue!

I am intrigued by what I've read of the expansion (I'm an old second edition player and I always loved the Pandora's Box ending; this version of it seems even more thematically in keeping with the mythical Pandora's Box than the second edition ending) and it would be great to see how "The Nether Realm" affected a Talisman game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls