Tom O'K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Never fear; I is here.
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I got a chance to play a copy of Chaosmos recently (a print and play copy). And from what's been posted already it looks like this game is mainly making and impression with the Thematic community, so I thought I would give some thoughts from a Eurogamer's perspective.

For those who may not know, this is a sci-fi themed bluffing/deduction/hand management game with a little bit of combat. That's my best stab at categorizing it, but I would say that categorizing this game is close to meaningless, since it operates on a wavelength that is radically different from games I have played before.

A big part of the unique feel of Chaosmos is the bizarre win condition. All of the players are trying to to possess (in their hand) a certain card when a timer runs out. Finding a game with a special, unique mechanism is always fun, but a game with a truly unique win condition, the core of the very game… that's pretty rare. I'm not going to go into exhaustive rules summaries here, because I don't like that kind of review. I will say that mechanically the game "works." It's fun, it builds tension, there are important decisions to make on each turn. And then on top of all that, you have a system that is totally original and will give you a feeling that is not replicated in any other game you own. That alone makes it worth playing.

OK, so, for the eurogamers out there.

It's called Chaosmos after all…
is it chaotic? Yes, yes it is. There is dice based combat and many cards with specialized functions that will bounce off of each other in different ways. Much of the game is guesswork, but your job is to make that guesswork as educated as possible, and make your opponents guess wrong.

Is there too much luck? No, I don't think so. While there is lots of hidden information in the game, most of it can be known if you try hard enough. In fact, a major part of the game is timing your discovery of that hidden information. And while combat is dicey, there are ways to manipulate the results, and combat is not a huge part of the game.

Is the game strategic? Absolutely. In fact, with so little information on the table at the start of the game, your own plans are really all you have to go on. The game doesn't hold your hand. You must consider an approach.

Is the game tactical? Yup. Lots of in the moment decision making that matters.

Is the playing time reasonable? Yup. Clocks in at 1-1.5 hours for me.

Player elimination? Nope.

Does everyone stay in the action till the end? Unquestionably.

Is it easy to learn/teach? Fairly. There's a lot of special cards and things that you'll wanna cover before you jump in, but most cards follow a pretty predictable formula, and the overall rules are very easy.

Do I recommend this game for euro enthusiasts? Yes, in particular because it is so original and different. Esepcially fans of more interactive euros, and games trending towards a more French-style approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Austin
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great review, Tom! As a Eurogamer myself, I've always thought of Chaosmos as satisfying both my thematic and euro itches! Nice to see someone else feels the same. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Young
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have been wondering if my first Kickstarter experience would be folly or fortune. Based on your review, I'm feeling pretty safe in my decision. A totally different game than any I own, and I am looking forward to its release. I still love my Euros, but this looked too fun not to pull the trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.