Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes you see a game and the incredible presentation makes it a must play. But then there's always the moment of truth. Will the gameplay actually deliver, or will the game end up on the scrap heap with the many other over-produced and under-developed titles that prove to be just flashes in the pan that slowly die away? Such was my thought process going into Lagoon. I couldn't have been more excited based on what I had seen, but that had completely raised the bar of my expectations. Fair or unfair, my opinion was now sure to be polarized either toward strongly liking or being completely dismissive. So which side did I end up on? Is this game of druid energy and landscape shifting worthy of a spot in your collection? Short answer: YES!

Components
The components here are pretty straightforward but absolutely beautiful. The bulk of the game is in the large stack of huge (think Eclipse) double sided hex tiles. Each tile is a wonderfully illustrated location representing one of the three energy types in the game. The rest of the components are player druid tokens, other assorted game tokens, player aides, a draw bag, etc. Basically, just stare at the tiles and enjoy.

Play
Ok, so here is where Lagoon is going to either put up or shut up. What are you actually doing with these awesome tiles?
Each tile has its illustration on top but also a power listed on the bottom. These powers become available to you if you manage to move one of your druids onto the location in question. Powers range from moving tiles, to moving druids, to removing tiles from the board to many, many other creative attacks and reactions. The reason you are interested in all of this shifting is because you are championing one of the three energies that will eventually dominate the land of Lagoon. When you bring new tiles onto the board through the explore actions, you receive a token of that tile's energy. These tokens though, are only useful in game end if that particular energy rules Lagoon. (Majority of that color tile present at game end) Additionally, you are going to receive points for the tiles you have removed from the game that are not in the majority at game end. Collect tokens of the winning energy. Collect tiles of the losing energies. Sounds easy enough right?..... Not so easy. The tactics here are off the charts. There are moves upon moves to explore, and staying one step ahead of the opposition proves incredibly difficult and fun. Oh and there's this. You need to have influence on blue to kill yellow, influence on yellow to kill red, and influence on red to kill blue. Does it sound like a paper rock scissors mechanic? In a way. Only if paper rock scissors made my mind explode.

Verdict
Well it's clear from my gushing that since the time I first saw the art through the time I played it, and then through the days after that I thought about the different tactics and moves that Lagoon delivers in every way possible. This game is great and sure to be a smash hit.

Lagoon: Land of Druids - Should I Bother? - YES Unless completely awesome gameplay combined with fantastic visual presentation isn't your thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Patino
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any game that you play and then it tools around in your head for hours afterwards is worth getting your hands on to plop it into one's collection. Thanks Ben for writing about your experience with Lagoon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
bno70_1 wrote:
The bulk of the game is in the large stack of huge (think Eclipse) double sided hex tiles.

How thick are the Lagoon tiles? Roughly equivalent to the thickness of the Eclipse tiles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chott
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your interest, Chris!

Lagoon's hex tiles are 3.5 inches across, just like Eclipse tiles. I'm not sure how thick Eclipse tiles are, but the Lagoon tiles are 2mm thick. That's the same as Carcassonne, I believe. It is possible the Lagoon tiles will get thicker if the Kickstarter overfunds into stretch goal territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mindes
United States
Mountain Green
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kodiakman02 wrote:
Any game that you play and then it tools around in your head for hours afterwards is worth getting your hands on to plop it into one's collection. Thanks Ben for writing about your experience with Lagoon.

I agree... Yes, get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Scott
United States
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dchott wrote:
Thanks for your interest, Chris!

Lagoon's hex tiles are 3.5 inches across, just like Eclipse tiles. I'm not sure how thick Eclipse tiles are, but the Lagoon tiles are 2mm thick.

Nope. They are 2.5 mm thick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Scott
United States
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skipbidder wrote:

Nope. They are 2.5 mm thick.

Soon to be 3 mm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Herx
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope so! This is the first game I've ever backed! It looks terrific and the 3 mm tiles will help with the extended wear it will get with my group!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Prier
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Same here... First game I've backed and feeling really good about it. The PnP is a great way to learn the game until August gets here too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Govind Krishna
Japan
TOKYO
TOKYO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got my copy of Lagoon, what a beautiful piece of artwork, cant wait to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.