I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Attention Program -- You will receive an Identity Disc. Everything you do or learn will be imprinted on this disc. If you lose your disc, or fail to follow commands, you will be subject to immediate deresolution!
badge
Defender of the Grid! "I Fight for the Users!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Entry Thread for Diamond Miner - Brianstorming Phase
Designed by Tyraziel for the 2014 2 Player Print and Play Contest.

[listitem=]Geek List Entry[/listitem]

Download links:

Main PnP Files:
Rulebook v1.0 (Low Ink)
Components

Overview:

Components:

Playing Time:
20-30 minutes

Rules:

Goal of the Game:

Setup:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Attention Program -- You will receive an Identity Disc. Everything you do or learn will be imprinted on this disc. If you lose your disc, or fail to follow commands, you will be subject to immediate deresolution!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[RESERVED]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[RESERVED]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[RESERVED]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here was my original post for this game ---

Quote:
Hex based board... on your turn you can move your main lumberjack one space, when you "explore" you get a number of lumber from 1-3, but then you have to figure out how to chop down the lumber and then get the lumber down the river, so you might have to dig a river/canal (along the edges of the hexes). You'd have a pool of workers to do your "chopping" or "digging". The river flows down stream (from the top of the board to the bottom of the board) and your opponent could try to steal some of your lumber! At the end of each turn you can pick 3 (or more or less) pieces of lumber that can "float down" one edge if there is no lumber in the way and if there is a cross roads, the person moving the lumber can decide which way it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So right now I have the board as a hex board, with the edge 5 hexes long. This gets me a board of 61 hexes, which means there will be 59 tokens that will contain either a diamond count or some other things devil.

Here's a picture of the board right now, some scribbles are courtesy of my 3yr old who likes to "color"

I have two configurations on the board. The first one (BIG Red and BIG Blue) (which I don't think I like) has Red and Blue on opposite sides of the board from each other. This creates much less conflict and you can hoard your side of the board for resources. I tried to fix this by placing additional "home bases" at the top and bottom and already laid down the "mining track" so you can take the diamonds to either base, but that still didn't solve the problem of "you already have control over some of the board.

The second configuration I think I like much better. This has the "home base" for red and blue marked as I and II, along with a dark solid line encapsulating the top 25 hexes. What I'm thinking here is to have tokens that signify the instability of the mine, and when you get 4 or 5 of them the mine collapses signifying the end of the game. To get players into the upper part (which will eventually end the game) there will be tokens with higher diamond counts in there. So the "tokens" will have to be split into two groups -- the upper 25 and the lower 34 (since 2 areas are taken by the bases.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so on to some of the other prelim thoughts for the game --

You get 3 of workers.

Each turn each worker can Explore / Prospect, mine(chop down), build tracks(canals) (at a cost???), move 2 mining carts 2 spaces each(make logs flow), carry logs/diamonds.

Could have to build a mining shaft to dig deeper / explore

You can only extend your mining rails from your own rail. You can overlap with your opponent.

Resources can build up on an edge, but there can only be 3 resources at max on an edge. Resource will move together with one "move mining cart" action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandel Arden
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I cant realy gasp the idea yet, but i am curious how you will design this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Mills
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
It could be interesting if you used different types of gems for what the player was trying to carryout. Example: diamonds, rubies, Gold, coal. Maybe they are worth different values or are resources of some kind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One thought is there could be a scoring system that is more logarithmic instead of linier. A 2 karat diamond is probably worth more than a pair of a 1 karat diamonds, even though it's the same weight. There are also other factors like color and clarity, and scoring could be based on the lowest one. This was used in Tigris and Euphrates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Avalain wrote:
I cant realy gasp the idea yet, but i am curious how you will design this game.

Well I have the idea baking in my head right now, so I'm curious how it will pan out as well!

JoshuaJMills wrote:
It could be interesting if you used different types of gems for what the player was trying to carryout. Example: diamonds, rubies, Gold, coal. Maybe they are worth different values or are resources of some kind.

I thought about this, but I wanted to make it somewhat simple, so I opted for one resource. Remember this was originally suppose to be a lumberjack type game, so I rethemed it a bit, to not take your theme

fur94 wrote:
One thought is there could be a scoring system that is more logarithmic instead of linier. A 2 karat diamond is probably worth more than a pair of a 1 karat diamonds, even though it's the same weight. There are also other factors like color and clarity, and scoring could be based on the lowest one. This was used in Tigris and Euphrates.

This is very interesting, something that I did not think of. What I was going to do was the following ---

59 Hexes with 34 at the bottom and 25 in the top part.

34 Tokens for the bottom part broken down like this ---
Zero Diamond - 8
One Diamond - 16
Two Diamond - 6
Three Diamond - 4
(40 points)

Tokens for the Top Part (25)
Two Diamond - 7
Three Diamond - 6
Four Diamond - 3
Five Diamond - 1
Instability - 8
(49 points)

The odds of getting an "Instability" token is 32% per exploration in the top part. Risk vs Reward vs Ending the game.

From my original notes ---
When the 3rd instability chip is revealed then the game is over as the mine collapses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dug fromthearth
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mining
prospecting to find where there are ores or gems

gems are much more random than ore - you find seams of ore, you find pockets of gems

work to dig a tunnel to travel to place

work to expand a tunnel to dig out the ore or gems

hauling ore or gems out of mine (gems are small and easy to transport, ore is heavy and hard to transport)

reinforcing a mine so it doesn't collapse

keeping water out of a mine when it gets too deep

the map could either be one level of a mine spreading out horizontally, or a mine showing depth and only one axis horizontally. depth and one horizontal access has much more of a mine feel to it, you would need to rotate the map so the hexes form a horizontal line.

you dig an exploratory tunnel into a space. You get a card indicating what you find in the space. You can do more work to expand into a tunnel to travel and get one resource and do even more work to expand to get another resource.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I fight for the users!!!
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback!

dugfromthearth wrote:
mining
prospecting to find where there are ores or gems
This is taken care of by the Explore / Prospect Action.

dugfromthearth wrote:

gems are much more random than ore - you find seams of ore, you find pockets of gems

This is why I'm thinking about sticking with Diamonds (or some other rare gem name that I'll make up.)

dugfromthearth wrote:

work to dig a tunnel to travel to place

This is taken care of by the Explore / Prospect Action.

dugfromthearth wrote:

work to expand a tunnel to dig out the ore or gems

This is taken care of by the Mining Action.

dugfromthearth wrote:

hauling ore or gems out of mine (gems are small and easy to transport, ore is heavy and hard to transport)

reinforcing a mine so it doesn't collapse

I didn't think of this, but my thought is you're racing to get as much as possible in a short time you threw caution into the wind and you didn't bother reinforcing the mine walls hence the instability tokens of the mine as a whole to end the game.

dugfromthearth wrote:

keeping water out of a mine when it gets too deep

Interesting, not sure I could come up with an easy mechanic to keep track of this or not. Also not sure what this would add to the game.

dugfromthearth wrote:

the map could either be one level of a mine spreading out horizontally, or a mine showing depth and only one axis horizontally. depth and one horizontal access has much more of a mine feel to it, you would need to rotate the map so the hexes form a horizontal line.

This is kind of the feel with the upper set of tokens and the lower set of tokens. The lower set give you more resources but can cause the mine to collapse if you get too many instability tokens.

dugfromthearth wrote:

you dig an exploratory tunnel into a space. You get a card indicating what you find in the space. You can do more work to expand into a tunnel to travel and get one resource and do even more work to expand to get another resource.

I thought about making it where you had to dig the mine cart railways to get to each of the spaces to "prospect/explore" but I thought that would slow the game down too much.

Good stuff here, Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls