Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
The one thing that's always bugged me about RDI is the boards. It's just such a pain to find a way to store them. I'm currently using the 4 mini boards that come with the standalone characters, which are a nice size, but I've been wanting to go boardless for a long time.

I've had various ideas to use dice and tokens, but the obvious answers all seemed poor. Fiddly to use, and difficult to see how close someone was to getting knocked out...

And then I had a brainstorm: double-sided tokens! One side is a heart, one side is a mug. Everyone starts with 20. When you take damage, you discard a token. When you gain alcohol content, you flip a token over. Your 'real' health is immediately and obviously visible by the number of tokens you have flipped heart side up!

Worth pointing out that, for the lazy, you could also do this by just having the tokens in two stacks; healthy and drunk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a nifty idea.

Personally I like the boards. I store all my RDI sets in their original boxes so I do not need a board solution.

But I do like your token flipping idea as a mechanic in and of itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It sounds like a solution in search of a problem. The boards are thin enough you could store them anywhere. (between your cookie sheets maybe?)

So, once all your health tokens are gone or flipped over to drink tokens your dead?

Anyways, glad it works for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It also creates a problem - if you are to gain Fortitude, you have to count to make sure you don't end up with more then 20 tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think gaining health past 20 wouldn't be an issue until you also lost alcohol, because if there are no discarded chips, you can't heal. But once you lose alcohol thru a holy water or something similar, then the system breaks down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squegeeboo wrote:
I think gaining health past 20 wouldn't be an issue until you also lost alcohol, because if there are no discarded chips, you can't heal. But once you lose alcohol thru a holy water or something similar, then the system breaks down.

If you are putting all discarded chips in the same place to save space (rather than having a separate space per player), there could be discarded chips before you take any damage.
Losing Alcohol content wouldn't cause any problems - if that happens you would flip the chips back to the health side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you keep the tokens in 4 lines of 5, it's pretty trivial to keep track of when you have 20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great idea!

Thanks.

I've never liked the boards either.

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/427535/the-red-dragon-inn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.