Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Paschal
United States
Sanford
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonight I decided I would introduce my parts, 70 and 72, to one of "our" board games. I got their feet wet the other night with Ticket to Ride and my Step Dad took to it like fish in water and won the game with 160 points! So tonight, I broke out Jamaica! arrrh

The pirates:
Myself - 32 year old avid gamer who works in the gaming industry.
Fiancee - 30 year old casual gamer and tolerater of me.
Mom - 70 year old retired grandmother of 2, Scrabble is her weapon of choice.
Step Dad - 72 year old who enjoys making people think he has alzheimer's.

We begin with me realizing, I have no good way of approaching how to teach my parents Jamaica. Not that it is hard, it's not, but teaching anything involving my mom is almost impossible. I choose to start out and explain the action cards first, which explains the tokens, how you move and the morning/evening concept in the game. Then the board icons. I will just sum up the understanding of the game for them like this. My step dad might as well have been playing Robo Rally. My mom however, had a firm grasp of how to play about half way through.

I spent the first half of the game moving up slowly, staying behind the pack and building a large stock of supplies in my holds.

The fiance, powered forward with extreme gusto. She got a couple treasures and had to spend barely any tokens on anything.

My step dad played a left turning conveyor belt, sliding his robot into a compactor. As a casualty of war, my mom payed the price and he rolled the BLAST and took her huge stack of 6 food.

My mom, despite being the target for my step dad, maintained the front of the pack with my fiancee...with a healthy cargo hold.

Rounding the far side of the board, I managed to maintain a full cargo hold and acquire a few treasures. I did have a couple combats where I blew my entire stack of canon tokens and rolled a BLAST. cry At this point, I have a firm lead.

My better half stayed pretty mixed up with my mom. They were both gobbling up the majority of the treasure tokens.

My step dad...Johnny 5 is alive!

Rounding the final stretch, I hit a hard road block with no movement cards in my hand and not a bit of food on my boat as the fiancee took my stash and I had to spend all I had left. I am dead in the water around the -5 red line.

Fiancee and mom continue their power struggle beyond the -5 red line.

Richard Garfield is to blame for my step dad's outlandish come back and combat that really put the nail in the coffin for me.

A perfectly dealt hand and perfect dice roll puts my fiancee perfectly on Port Royale and we finish up our turns.

I begin counting everyone's points from the furthest back to the furthest ahead.

Step Dad - -5 points, 3 Gold Coins, -2 Curse card = -4
Me - -5 points, 2 Gold Coins, +2 Treasure Card = -1
Mom - 8 points, 3 Gold Coins, +3 Treasure Card = 12
Fiancee - 15 points, 2 Gold Coins, +10 Treasure Cards = 27

WINNER - Fiancee!

I had a great time, the family had a great time. By the end of the game, my mom had a good grasp on the game and how to effectively play. My step dad will never play Robo Rally again. Now, I would love to see him actually play Robo Rally, haha.

I began to clean up the board. My step dad went off to sleep on the couch. As I was picking up pieces my mom and fiancee were setting them out for another game. I guess they liked it.

Oh well, I'm a glutton for punishment, bring on round 2! (I will post it another time.)

Check out my Review of Jamaica on Board Game Geek!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.