Popular Tags: [View All]
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
http://profootballmock.com/pfm-extra-joe-buck-pizza-face-wat...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I hate Joe Buck, but that was classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Never understood the hatred for ___________, where the blank can be filled with any prominent sportscaster or color commentator. I would say I enjoy 80% or 90% of the major ones that are out there. Buck, Nantz, Aikman, Simms, Michaels, McCarver...I think they're all professional and good at their craft. I like some better than others, but for the most part, I prefer the "A" teams to the lesser ones. Buck, in particular, I find knowledgeable, well spoken, dramatic without being over-the-top, and versatile. I actually enjoy him more than his father and I thought Buck Senior was quite talented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, c'mon, what'd the guy ever do to you to warrant this sort of hatred?

I mean, just look at him!

How could you hate a guy like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: We sans hate you, Joe Buck!
At least HE wasn't "staring at some picture" whilst nearby then Jay exclaimed: "Look at me-LOOK at ME you 'sloppy bitch'!..." shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Joe Buck extremely dull. Even when he's trying to be funny, it comes off as dry and forced. He's hardly a shadow of his Hall of Fame father.

But I will give him credit for putting up with Tim McCarver for as long as he had to, and for continuing to put up with Troy Aikman. Those two, and their keen eyes for the obvious, dumb down their respective sports too far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
Never understood the hatred for ___________, where the blank can be filled with any prominent sportscaster or color commentator.

Really? Because Madden was garbage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Larry Levy wrote:
Never understood the hatred for ___________, where the blank can be filled with any prominent sportscaster or color commentator.

madden and sommeral were the best ever.

buck is fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Larry Levy wrote:

Well, I did say 80-90%. Madden was pretty content-free and while I understood his popularity, he didn't add much to his games, at least while he was at CBS. His partner Pat Summerall was so good that I was able to tolerate those games, but the current Nantz/Simms pairing is much better.

You may not be old enough to remember (man, I'm sounding like a fossil!), but there's a better counter-example. For most of its history on ABC, the Monday Night Football announcers were awful. Often entertaining, in a side-show sort of way, but dreadful when it came to describing the action on a football field. Cosell was particularly bad, but those games were always the worst broadcast ones each week. Thankfully, the booth has been manned by old pros for the last 10 years and the Monday Night games are now the highlight of the week, instead of the circus they used to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked Summerall.
I'm guessing Madden got one too many concussions while he was playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Howden
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
I believe you have mine...
badge
Bringing you quality product in the face of crushing indifference since 1970.
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:

I don't hate Joe Buck as a human being, I hate the way that he is allowed to do his job. I don't find his commentary interesting, and most of the time he sounds like he's reading from a script while relaying the stats that are fed into his ears. Other commentators are far better at sounding as if they are just coming up with stuff. To me that speaks of a lack of talent, and his job is being "The Talent."
New York perceives him as a Yankee hater in the same way that I perceived him to never believe that the SF Giants could possibly win against Texas, or sweep Detroit in the world series. He has a way of sounding like he is sticking to some preconceived story-line, and doesn't seem to assimilate new information very well. Ironically, when faced with a moment that anyone could have predicted, he is often lacking words. For instance, as the crowd in Seattle pushed dB meters to ear splitting levels at the start of the NFC championship, all he said was, "it's loud!" Really Joe? You had all week to think about that.
I watched him call an inning and a half of post season baseball during a steady rain before he mentioned the weather. It's that kind of stuff that makes me say, I hate Joe Buck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know the best part about Howard Cosell? Hating Howard Cosell. After he went off the air, bless his heart, things just haven't been the same. I have never been able to hate any other personality in quite the same way. Even Madden. It's not nearly as satisfying.

We miss ye, Cosell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.