Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry Bailey Sr.
United States
Jonesborough
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished reading the rulebook. I have one disappointment. I looked at the end of the rulebook to see who the technical writer was that wrote the rules. I wanted to come here and praise him. Alas no mention of who it was. Whoever you are you deserver credit. This rulebook is the best I have read. Other companies should use this as an example of how to do a rulebook. Thank you anonymous person whoever you are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's so funny. Clearly this person did a great job, because of all the praise heaped on this rulebook, but for some reason I had a lot of trouble getting through this one. And I'm no stranger to reading rules, having read plenty of rulebooks online prior to purchase, having done official rules translations before, etc. Perhaps this one was written in a style that just doesn't jive with me.

But whatever. I'll echo the Kudos. This book clearly works for a lot of folks, and that's no small feat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. This rulebook was ridiculously good. This is a meaty game with intricate mechanisms, but the rulebook cuts it up into easily digestable morsels. Very well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jasonwocky wrote:
It's so funny. Clearly this person did a great job, because of all the praise heaped on this rulebook, but for some reason I had a lot of trouble getting through this one. And I'm no stranger to reading rules, having read plenty of rulebooks online prior to purchase, having done official rules translations before, etc. Perhaps this one was written in a style that just doesn't jive with me.

But whatever. I'll echo the Kudos. This book clearly works for a lot of folks, and that's no small feat.

It's a matter of taste. It's generally very clear, but for me it's a little too wordy which clouds up some areas which are inherently simple to understand. It does not stand up with something like Dominant Species in terms of rule book awesomeness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Presentation is good. But there are some niggling issues with the rules. A FAQ was required, and there are still some debates. See the threads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terry - I totally agree with you. This rule book is (to me) the best organized, easiest to understand, I have seen. I'm usually the one to read the rules and teach the games to other players, and have been doing so for over 50 years. I've waded through the Avalon Hill rules from Advanced Civ and Up Front to today's modern games - so I can grasp rules. But this one deserves a star IMO. Good job (and unique IMO).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. Very well done rulebook. Unfortunately, as Curt pointed out, there was at least one issue that wasn't clearly covered- when actions MUST be fulfilled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
I agree. Very well done rulebook. Unfortunately, as Curt pointed out, there was at least one issue that wasn't clearly covered- when actions MUST be fulfilled.

That's the only one I've seen that I didn't feel was crystal clear. What else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:

That's the only one I've seen that I didn't feel was crystal clear. What else?

Issues covered in the FAQ:
Whether doublers/money is limited.
Which spaces exactly can be reused by "single worker".
When exactly the extra black worker provides his benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The scoring is still quite confusing and very easy to mess up!

But good once you get it down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I judge rulebooks on three goals:

1) Learning the game - better than average
2) Completeness - a few holes (component limits, and a couple of obscure details - black worker interactions, and which actions can be partially completed)
3) Ease of reference - better than average but not perfect - the one time I played, we had trouble finding some of the rules to answer questions as they came up.

Overall, the rulebook is much better than the average rulebook, but Dominant Species remains my pick for best rulebook I've encountered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T S
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I echo the praises here. I've been playing games for a long time, and this is one of the best rule books I've ever read. Absolutely clear and concise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.