Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Sentinel fight effect question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Blue
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Just got this game. Really enjoyed it just playing that initial set up in the book. My question is lets say you fight sentinel early on. You have 3 shield agents and 3 shield troopers. Sentinel takes 3 attack to kill with a fight effect to KO one of your heroes.

My question is in that situation I have to KO a shield agent. For that turn do I still get the 3 recruit power or do I get knocked down to 2. I didn't see a specific order for that. Sorry if I am just overlooking something obvious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Fechter
Netherlands
De Goorn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When KO'ing a hero during your turn as part of a fight-ability of one of the villains you still get to use the recruit (or fight) power of this hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blue
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thank you appreciate the quick reply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note however that you need to have played all six cards before taking on the Sentinel to keep your 3 Recruit. If you play 3 SHIELD Troopers for 3 Attack, but not the Agents before taking on the Sentinel, you'd have to KO one of the Troopers to have 3 Recruit (if you KO an Agent from hand at this point, you can only play the other two for 2 Recruit).

Granted, no point in NOT playing all six cards in this instance, but if you have potential draw effecs and skill combos you can't yet achieve, at times you might attack a villain with cards still in hand (or maybe you have Big Hand Mr. Fantastic for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Fight" effect says to "KO one of your heroes."

"Your heroes" is special terminology that's defined in the rulebook. It means either the unplayed cards in your hand or the cards that you've played this turn.

So you can play all of your cards first for a total of 3 attack and 3 recruit and, then, fight the Sentinel and KO one of your cards. You are allowed to KO either one of the SHIELD Troopers or one of the SHIELD Agents because they've already been played.

It's usually (say 95% of the time) a good idea (especially for beginners) to play all of your cards first before fighting any Villains or Masterminds. There are a few occasions you might run into where it's better to play some cards, fight or recruit, and then play more cards during your turn, but those are kind of rare and you'll figure them out as you play more games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad B
United States
Anderson
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm at work and do not have my rulebook handy. But isn't there a rule that you perform the fight effects prior to comparing attack totals. So playing 3 troopers, announcing you would fight the Sentinel and then KOing one of your troopers would reduce your total attack to two, right?

Or does your attack total go into a "magical pool" that once entered count even if the card in question was KO'd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it was clarified pretty quickly after the game came out that Fight happens after you've beaten the Villain/Mastermind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knobbly Savage
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ranerdar wrote:
I'm at work and do not have my rulebook handy. But isn't there a rule that you perform the fight effects prior to comparing attack totals. So playing 3 troopers, announcing you would fight the Sentinel and then KOing one of your troopers would reduce your total attack to two, right?

Or does your attack total go into a "magical pool" that once entered count even if the card in question was KO'd.

The thing you're thinking of is a mistake in the rule book, Devin clarified here that the fight effect is the last thing that happens in the attack sequence. Also, exactly, attack and recruit points go into a pool, and KO'ing the card after it was played does in no way alter its effect on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad B
United States
Anderson
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that seems to make things easier. We've been playing that way since I got the game!

Thanks for the clarification everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.