Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I played on Emperor level against a new player on chieftain and another player on Prince (he had played one time previously). Needless to say, I got slaughtered 29 (me), 38 (new player) and 40.

I had been hovering at king level and just decided to try the highest. what I found was that taking one resource always seemed worse than taking a population. So I took population on my first turn from food which (I could produce well playing as Rome). I had never done that before, and perhaps that was my mistake in the game. Buildings were scarce as was military cards. Despite being Rome, I let Persia have the lead at the end of the first turn and never recovered militarily after that. Only one military ever showed up per age With the exception of some knights showing up after greek fire galleys were snagged by Persia. Persia just took that one new military unit each round and kept a handy first the entire game.

Yes it sacrificed his first choice, but he had little competition because Very few buildings came out as well. I was always low on money with little ability to improve it so the board pretty much went to the other two players with me cherry picking the one or 2 must have cards I needed. And the winning player got the only 2 stability building that came out. I pretty much found myself too weak to fight off wars, to poor to buy them myself, and unable to generate enough stability to fight off events. I lost all 4 of my starting VP during the game (and the 2 I gained from scoring) paying wars, and the penalty for not having enough resources.

So my question is, what is the best strategy to go with. Take the piddly one resource early and expand later, or expand earlier (assuming you have food options)?

I also felt the "randomness" of the cards more in this game than any prior. Because my resources were so restricted, I really had to buy things on the cheap and let some things go and hope another source of what I would need would show up next round. Invariably that would not happen. Do any other emperor players feel like the game is more "random" without the flexibility of making up shortfalls during the growth phase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arnaud roussel
Canada
st Leonard
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well if you cannot make the extra population worthwhile due to bad a draw, yes take a resource instead.

The point of Emperor is that you consider you're good enough to really know how to make your engine roll and predict what kind of card you can get.

The problem I'm reading is that the choice of levels was wrong, underestimating the abilities of other players. If you play at emperor and another player, while less good but still decent, is at prince, of course it's gonna be pretty hard.

The balance between new player at chieftain and other player at Prince feels more correct. You should have tried King instead in that group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Durst
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to set new players at chieftain and me at king. This seems to level it out pretty well. Also, I still wouldn't take a population in the first couple rounds since they won't be able to make back the resources they cost. No matter the level of difficulty, it only starts to be profitable to take population in Age II or III.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wario83 wrote:
I like to set new players at chieftain and me at king. This seems to level it out pretty well. Also, I still wouldn't take a population in the first couple rounds since they won't be able to make back the resources they cost. No matter the level of difficulty, it only starts to be profitable to take population in Age II or III.

That's what I was thinking. I should have waited on pop even though my take is a pitiful one resource.

And to everyone, my question is not about whether I should have taken emperor, I know the answer to that based on score. My question is playing emperor any different from playing at other difficulties? I think it is and want to hear from others to see if I am nuts or not.

Also anyone feel they are more at the whim of fate at emperor level?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Meertens
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
You gotta hang on to the trip you're on
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my group we all play at emperor level, scoring roughly from 30-45 points. So a decent score is managable.

I think on this level your default growth action should be taking a worker. Maybe a coin in round 1 or 2 to buy that extra battle card for resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My last 3 games, I have taken a population each round, clearing out the entire supply each game.

The have all been 2 player games.

My reasoning, is that you can usually get them to break even in age I, by putting them on a building that produces 3 resources. The huge benefit, is that at the end of the game, each person you have taken is 1 or 2 victory points, because they are on your buildings. It has been working out well for me, but I am almost entirely sure it is group think, and that if I played with others, I would be decimated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the availability of blue cards, as well as certain Advisors.

Sometimes it's just not sustainable to take workers in Age 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.