Athens
Kallithea
flag msg tools
badge
ΓΙΑ ΤΑ ΚΑΣΚΟΛ ΠΟΥ ΕΧΟΥΝ ΠΑΛΙΩΣΕΙ...ΚΑΙ ΓΙΑ ΤΗΝ ΤΡΕΛΑ ΠΟΥ ΠΟΤΕ ΔΕΝ ΘΑ ΤΕΛΕΙΩΣΕΙ
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all.

Straight to the point.

Would you recommend Arcana as a first time deck builder for newbies?

I already own Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game and Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin but for use with more experienced people.

I was thinking about DC Comics Deck-Building Game but wanted something different from the superhero theme.

So, i found in my local store Arcana in a very good price, read the rules and found it pretty good and simple as an intro deck building game.

So what's the catch and it is so underestimated. I mean almost nobody talks about it, or suggest it. Any help appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Arcana, mainly because of the mediocre reviews, but curious why you would consider it over Dominion? Is it because of the theme? Also, there's a game called Trains, which is only slightly more complicated than Dominion, with a train theme (obviously) and it includes a board where you use your deck to build a network of trains - it's pretty neat… just thrown' that out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Artdicted
Greece
Athens
Kallithea
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Bickman wrote:
but curious why you would consider it over Dominion? Is it because of the theme?
For a couple of reasons.
Yes the theme is one, not the major. I like the interaction between the players and the bluffing element (all of these potential of course, cause i've only read the rulebook, never played). Thanx for the suggestion though, i'll take a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris SC

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It could work. It is fairly simple and doesnt have a ton of card interaction/chains. That said i wasnt a huge fan the one time i played. Felt more like hand management than deck building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcana gets a big thumbs up from me because my non-gamer wife enjoys playing it and enjoys the artwork. I think that Dominion is her favorite game that we own, but this one is right up there. It does change quite a bit when you vary the number of players because of the bluffing aspect.

I have the first edition AEG and got it at a reasonable price. I personally still like Dominion as the intro deck builder but this one could be used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
antreas1911 wrote:
Hi all.

Straight to the point.

Would you recommend Arcana as a first time deck builder for newbies?

I already own Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game and Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin but for use with more experienced people.

I was thinking about DC Comics Deck-Building Game but wanted something different from the superhero theme.

So, i found in my local store Arcana in a very good price, read the rules and found it pretty good and simple as an intro deck building game.

So what's the catch and it is so underestimated. I mean almost nobody talks about it, or suggest it. Any help appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Arcana uses the deck building mechanic. That's all. It is not a deck building game. Let me explain...

I found that "deck building game" usually means "a game like Dominion"; the thing that I call "engine building" (with engine = deck) should feature prominently.
The games you name all have this aspect (more pronounced or less), and also Trains I believe (never played, just read reviews).
Arcana has no engine building; you should maintain your deck balanced, but that's all. There are no combos, no chaining of cards.

If you are searching for something that introduces your friends to just the "your deck changes over time" thing, I think it is OK.
Keep in mind this "knowledge" would not translate at all to other games with deck building (or "deck management").

Personally, I love Arcana (I own FFG revised edition), it is just one of those games that I think are just great. I played a lot with one of my buddies that loved bluffing and bidding

EDIT: maybe the fact that Arcana is not a "real deck building game" is one of the reasons it is not popular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While you're perusing FFG'S catalog, take a look at Rune Age. Very good little deckbuilder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
While you're perusing FFG'S catalog, take a look at Rune Age. Very good little deckbuilder.

True!
Rune Age is one of my favourite games.
It has some engine building, but not much. It is more about hand management and managing resources (cards, influence). And a little bluffing.
For me, it is a different beast than Dominion.
Actually when it came out, people were trying to transfer their knowledge about Dominion and playing it in a similar way. The feedback was pretty consistent:
- there is too little variety in the cards;
- we bought everything halfway game and we then had nothing to do;
- this game sucks.

It is another great game that uses deck building to do something different, even if it looks similar to Dominion (more than Arcana).

I think this or Arcana can be great introduction to the games where" progression" is implemented with an "evolving deck".
So maybe is Dominion.
Whatever you choose I think you should just stress the differences when introducing one of the other games.

I think which game to use to introduce the mechanic is a matter of preference of what kind of game-experience you like best.

Sorry for the long rambling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Artdicted
Greece
Athens
Kallithea
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 months passed since this initial post of mine in this great forum, and i write just to say thanx to you all guys cause

1. I bought Arcana and works very well for the purposes i needed it.

2. and secondly thanx to your suggestions i put under my radar Rune Age (never had it in my mind before), bought it and have a blast playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that in order to introduce a game/genre to someone you should use good games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Castef wrote:
I think that in order to introduce a game/genre to someone you should use good games.

The definition of good is subjective when it comes to games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
antreas1911 wrote:
2 months passed since this initial post of mine in this great forum, and i write just to say thanx to you all guys cause

1. I bought Arcana and works very well for the purposes i needed it.

2. and secondly thanx to your suggestions i put under my radar Rune Age (never had it in my mind before), bought it and have a blast playing it.

Glad to hear it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.