Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Baker
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is for the discussion of artwork only pertaining to the Deep Ones. Posted here are some variations of some of the characters, as well as the originals I made.

The Cecaelia is too...bleh. Colors, face, etc.

This Nautilus Cavalier I really like. The only thing I would change is the Tidehunter rider.

This Tidehunter I used a piranha as the guideline. Colors are too pastel, and I REALLY can't draw nets, even ones made of seaweed.

The Predator looks decent. Big beefy shark guy, nuff said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, in my opinion:

This Nautilus is pure awesome. Wouldn't change a thing except to make the Tidehunter consistent with the final version.

The Predator is locked in perfect.

The Cecaelia here is amazing. You tweaked her perfectly in my opinion.

The Tidehunter...ok, so here's the deal, I have a place in my heart for the original one. He looked really cool. I think one thing I liked about him was that he wasn't so bad ass looking. So this one I think captures the feel of the old one, but adds just a bit of menace:

Obviously this guy is very different:

But I like him too. I really like both!

I wonder if we could use one of the designs as the water devil? Or did you want to keep the water devil specifically as constructed from pure water?

Of the two water devil designs in this pic:

I like the direction of the leftmost character.

As for the master of the deep: all of the proposed designs look amazing. You really have a talent for creatures. That having been said, I think they all look too animal...like maybe even the Master of the Deep should have some humanoid appearance? But I'm not sure.

I actually really liked this Master of the Deep design:

His lower section looks very similar to the Cecaelia, so maybe if we liked this version of the Master of the Deep, he could keep his larger tentacles and Cecaelia could have something similar to what you used for the Jellyfish tentacles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Baker
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nautilus Cavalier: Pretty much done. Just need to be sure the Tidehunter is changed, if changed it needs to be.

Cecaelia: I would like to keep the Cecaelia with the octopus tentacles, if at all possible. I would also like her to have a staff, or rod, or something that that says "I have powers infused by the Nether that let me create diabolical bubbles".

Predator: He works. If I have the time or inclination, I might do a different pose and maybe give him a crusty/rusty anchor for a weapon. Not that he needs one, just because.

Tidehunter: Hm...if the consensus is to leave him as is then I'm fine with it.

Water Devil: I was going for the idea that it is summoned from the Cecaelia's 'Nether Sphere', so basically a water elemental. But if you think it should be less 'watery' I can try something else.

Master of the Deep: In my view, I wanted the Master of the Deep to be the Kraken of the Deep Ones, this Huge monsterous creature that instills fear when you see it. Currently its abilities are to create water terrain and geysers, more like a specialized sniper. So we could definitely go the route of the original, take away Huge, and he would like fine as the first version I drew. Keep the octopus tentacles as well, perhaps he is the male version of the Cecaelia.laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Baker
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just doing some more scribbling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JefferyB wrote:
Nautilus Cavalier: Pretty much done. Just need to be sure the Tidehunter is changed, if changed it needs to be.

Agreed. Though see the comments RT and I made in the Nautilus thread about the art for the character card. You may have to do a special picture specifically for the card, or I can just crop part of the art.

JefferyB wrote:
Cecaelia: I would like to keep the Cecaelia with the octopus tentacles, if at all possible. I would also like her to have a staff, or rod, or something that that says "I have powers infused by the Nether that let me create diabolical bubbles".

Sounds good. I really like the new version.

JefferyB wrote:
Predator: He works. If I have the time or inclination, I might do a different pose and maybe give him a crusty/rusty anchor for a weapon. Not that he needs one, just because.

YES!

JefferyB wrote:
Tidehunter: Hm...if the consensus is to leave him as is then I'm fine with it.

I like all three versions. What does everyone else think?

JefferyB wrote:
Water Devil: I was going for the idea that it is summoned from the Cecaelia's 'Nether Sphere', so basically a water elemental. But if you think it should be less 'watery' I can try something else.

No - I think you're right. Water elemental type creature works.

JefferyB wrote:
Master of the Deep: In my view, I wanted the Master of the Deep to be the Kraken of the Deep Ones, this Huge monsterous creature that instills fear when you see it. Currently its abilities are to create water terrain and geysers, more like a specialized sniper. So we could definitely go the route of the original, take away Huge, and he would like fine as the first version I drew. Keep the octopus tentacles as well, perhaps he is the male version of the Cecaelia.laugh

I actually like the idea of making him the same type creature as the Cecaelia, so keeping the octopus tentacles works. I love the original Cthulhu type look. I just think it oozes "Master of the Deep." I wonder if maybe he shouldn't have the power to create water and to summon the water devils (take the summoning power Cecaelia and give it to him). Of course, this will make him seem similar to the Nethermancer.

JefferyB wrote:
Just doing some more scribbling.

The variant pose for the Predator rocks. That's definitely going in the variant rulebook for this expansion. My plan is to recreate the rulebook, using exclusively your art for the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Baker
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Skirmish_Tactics wrote:
The variant pose for the Predator rocks. That's definitely going in the variant rulebook for this expansion. My plan is to recreate the rulebook, using exclusively your art for the expansion.

Sounds wonderful!

Have you looked at the DCC RPG (Dungeon Crawl Classics Roleplaying Game) rulebook? Its filled with that old-school D&D look, just lots of black and white sketches. What do you think about something similar?

To be honest, I can crank out black and white sketches like crazy. The time it takes for me to do some digital modifications on just one picture, I could fill pages up with drawings. Granted, you still need color images for each character, but the rest of the rulebook could be filled with art in no time. Just an idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JefferyB wrote:
Skirmish_Tactics wrote:

Sounds wonderful!

Have you looked at the DCC RPG (Dungeon Crawl Classics Roleplaying Game) rulebook? Its filled with that old-school D&D look, just lots of black and white sketches. What do you think about something similar?

To be honest, I can crank out black and white sketches like crazy. The time it takes for me to do some digital modifications on just one picture, I could fill pages up with drawings. Granted, you still need color images for each character, but the rest of the rulebook could be filled with art in no time. Just an idea.

I love the idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R T
Portugal
LX
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skirmish_Tactics wrote:
JefferyB wrote:
Skirmish_Tactics wrote:

Sounds wonderful!

I love the idea.

I love it, specially because I only have a B&W printer... B&W rules...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thompson
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's get the ball rolling again for the art for the Deep Ones (especially since I think Jeff' close to done)

Cecaelia

First pic with coloration inspired by the second pic.

Master of the Deep

I love the one in the last pic. Making him the same "race" as the Cecaelia is cool. He just needs to be finished (stand-alone) and colored for the character card.

Nautilus Cavalier

Don't. Change. A. Thing.

Predator

1st one for the character card. Second for a B&W illustration for the manual.

Tidehunter

I say use the one in the first pic for the character card and the one in the second pic for a B&W illustration in the manual. I know there are some derivations (especially for the head), but they can be attributed to the Nether mutations of the creature. The version in the last pic might serve as a basis for the water devil (but a little more "water elementalish").

Water Devil

Maybe something like the far left version in the first pic? So far most of the water devil designs are a little too cartoony and not "nether" enough in my opinion. Maybe something a little more inspired by the Tidehunter art as mentioned above or something a little more menacing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.