Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thinking of hosting an evening of 10 player games. I have a few in my collection, but am tempted to pick up one or two more.

The group would have several non-gamers in it, although all have played simple Euro games and party games before.

I do not want the group to split into two separate groups.

PARTY GAMES: I am trying to avoid too many party games of the "social" or "laugh out loud" variety. That sounds like I want a silent serious night, but hopefully you know what I mean! - I have Say Anything, Telestrations, Balderdash in my collection, but I am looking to play more substantial games than that.

TRAITOR GAMES: I intend to play The Resistance: Avalon and don't feel the need to play any other traitor games, so Werewolf, Shadow Hunters, 2 Rooms and a Boom, Saboteur etc are out.

So the current menu of games is:

Pick a Dog combined with Pick a Pig, as a silly, frenetic warm-up.
Dixit: Odyssey despite its party game credentials, because I love the artwork and creativity.
The Resistance: Avalon for some deduction and deception and loads of social interaction.
Panic on Wall Street! for some negotiation and trading.
Formula Dé Mini (with extra cars/components added in to bump up the player count) because Formula D can take an age with big player counts, due to its massive tracks!
Fische Fluppen Frikadellen (two copies) which allows the group to play the game on two different tables and swap in and out of each game, as the game progresses. I've not yet tried this, but it sounds great!

If numbers drop to 8 or less:

Speculation with the 8 player mini-expansion, provides a fairly light stock-market game.
7 Wonders with Cities expansion: How is this with 8 players? I've not tried it at that player count.

Bearing in mind my criteria, is there any little gem I've missed for this player count? Doesn't matter if it's obscure. I've tried the "Advanced Search" feature for this player count, but that didn't show up half the games already on my list(!) due to needing expansions etc so I'm not confident that I haven't missed anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Hi Adam,

a few possibilities:

Peloponnes - plays 8 with all expansions
RoboRally
The World Cup Game
VivaJava: The Coffee Game
6 nimmt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
Long Shot. 8 players
A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game. With the right expansions this can play 15
Heimlich & Co. from memory 8
The Castle of the Devil
Elder Sign
Fearsome Floors
Unnamed Object
Nuns on the Run
Pit
Zombie Dice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteveK2 wrote:
Hi Adam,

a few possibilities:

Peloponnes - plays 8 with all expansions
RoboRally
The World Cup Game
VivaJava: The Coffee Game
6 nimmt!

The world cup game would be really fun with 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two copies of Take it Easy! would work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the games that first came to my mind have already been mentioned.

A few more:

Rage
Democrazy
Slide 5
Who's the Ass?
The Great Dalmuti

EDIT: Sorry, I should have pointed out that most of these games top out at 8p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imp Rovius
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Shadow Hunters plays fine with 10 players. You just need to use coins or something else as additional player markers when you have more than 8 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Gracia
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir 44 Overlord
Duel of Ages II
2 copies of 1812: Invasion of Canada (2 separate games)
Mush Mush Snowtails 2
Dutch Blitz + blue expansion
Shadows over Camelot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all these suggestions. It's given me lots of ideas.

I don't want to overwhelm the group (who are casual gamers at best) so I think Twilight Imperium and Eclipse are out.

A lot of these suggestions seem to be 7-8 players max. I have quite a few games for that player count. I'm really looking for games which play with more players than that.

VivaJava: The Coffee Game looks like a real possibility - great theme, gameplay looks up my street, and plays best with 8 - shame it doesn't go up to 10. The World Cup Game looks interesting too - not sure I could sell the football theme though (or buy into it myself!)

I probably wouldn't be looking for another racing game (Formula D tops that list for me), and as I mentioned traitor games are sewn up for me with Avalon. Some of the obscure little card games look nice - not sure how easy they are to come by though.

Roborally was mentioned - is there any way to get that running with 10? Or is 8 an absolute maximum? (you know how it is: some games just need to add in another player counter or mock-up another player board and you can stretch the player count a little).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam78 wrote:
Roborally was mentioned - is there any way to get that running with 10? Or is 8 an absolute maximum? (you know how it is: some games just need to add in another player counter or mock-up another player board and you can stretch the player count a little).

You can very well play Roborally with 10. It only comes with 8 robots, but you just need 2 extra minis of some kind--anything that's about the right size to fit in the squares and has a clearly discernible front will do.

There's enough of everything else. Well, if you have the latest edition with the player boards, there won't be enough of those, but they are not essential anyway, more like a player aid. You could duplicate a couple or just have two of the more experienced players skip using them (if you even do use them--some people do and some don't).

Roborally is extremely flexible on number of players. You just want to lay out a course that's appropriate to how many robots you have. Most people like the course to be tight/crowded enough to provoke some robot interaction, but you don't want it to be so tight that it's just a big continuous snarl of robots. One thing we've tried that worked well with 10 people was dividing them randomly in half and having the two lots of robots start at opposite ends of the course. Like 5 robots following flags 1-2-3-4-5 and the other 5 robots following flags 5-4-3-2-1.

Roborally is accessible enough for your casual gamers and also, because of the simultaneous programming (and possible use of a timer), doesn't have a lot of downtime even with 10 people. Sounds like it could be a good choice for your situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ellephai wrote:
Adam78 wrote:

You can very well play Roborally with 10. It only comes with 8 robots, but you just need 2 extra minis of some kind--anything that's about the right size to fit in the squares and has a clearly discernible front will do.

There's enough of everything else. Well, if you have the latest edition with the player boards, there won't be enough of those, but they are not essential anyway, more like a player aid. You could duplicate a couple or just have two of the more experienced players skip using them (if you even do use them--some people do and some don't).

Roborally is extremely flexible on number of players. You just want to lay out a course that's appropriate to how many robots you have. Most people like the course to be tight/crowded enough to provoke some robot interaction, but you don't want it to be so tight that it's just a big continuous snarl of robots. One thing we've tried that worked well with 10 people was dividing them randomly in half and having the two lots of robots start at opposite ends of the course. Like 5 robots following flags 1-2-3-4-5 and the other 5 robots following flags 5-4-3-2-1.

Roborally is accessible enough for your casual gamers and also, because of the simultaneous programming (and possible use of a timer), doesn't have a lot of downtime even with 10 people. Sounds like it could be a good choice for your situation.

That's really helpful - thanks! I'm sold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
Helllow Bayyybee
mbmbmbmbmb
What the Food?! plays up to 8 and is a 30 minute ish fun game - everyone one can relate to a food fight, right? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
Let's meet up for games and coffee!
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to two copies of Take It Easy! It's a "thinky" gamers game but there is no down time between turns since everyone plays at the same time, and it's light enough to still be chatty and fun while puzzling things out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Winslow
United States
Upland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only game I have that plays that many and are fun would be Formula D and Ugg-tect.

In my experience, games that play that many that aren't party games take too much time and have too much downtime. In my group, if we have more that 5 or 6, we split into 2 groups and play more manageable games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ramsey
Canada
North Delta
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ricochet Robots Can play any number from 2 to infinity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Edwards
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eat Poop You Cat

Just kidding.

Or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeswins wrote:
Only game I have that plays that many and are fun would be Formula D and Ugg-tect.

In my experience, games that play that many that aren't party games take too much time and have too much downtime. In my group, if we have more that 5 or 6, we split into 2 groups and play more manageable games.

I agree - it's a real niche request! But there are games out there that work, as evidenced above. Downtime can be avoided if the games feature simultaneous play or very short turns. If I had just happened to have 10 people turn up to a gaming event, I would probably do as you suggest and split them up. The purpose of the evening is really to find stuff that works for everyone together though! I know I've already got enough good games to fill the evening (too many already in my original post) but it would be good to have more options.

Ugg-tect is fun. Good suggestion. Falls a little too close to party-game for this group though (i.e. it's all about the laughter!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
starfailure wrote:
Eat Poop You Cat

Just kidding.

Or not.

It's tempting, but probably not...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VanMark wrote:
Ricochet Robots Can play any number from 2 to infinity.

I'll have a good look at this one. It might work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bright
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam78 wrote:

Fische Fluppen Frikadellen (two copies) which allows the group to play the game on two different tables and swap in and out of each game, as the game progresses. I've not yet tried this, but it sounds great!

Played this a few months ago at a game day with 15 people on three tables. It was very hectic, but fun.

Citadels Might be a game you can consider. It's not the best with eight, but it's still fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam78 wrote:
ellephai wrote:
Adam78 wrote:

That's really helpful - thanks! I'm sold.

One thing to consider: I've never played Roborally, so I don't speak from experience, but I've read it can sometimes go on too long for what it is. (The playing time listed is 120 minutes, and it might be longer if you try to stretch it to 10.)

A shorter game of simultaneous action that is meant to go to 10 is Slide 5 (aka 6 Nimmt!). I've never tried it with that many; I can imagine it'd be chaotic, but that would surely be true of nearly every other 10 player non-party non-traitor game. At least it'd be short and snappy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a footnote to my previous post:

If I were in your shoes the game that would most tempt me would be Panic on Wall St. I haven't tried it, but I've read the rules, and I'm intrigued. It's a negotiation game so there is no real downtime, I would guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the same category as Pick-A-Pig (pattern recognition / quick reaction warmup games), I love Ghost Blitz, especially when combined with Ghost Blitz 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kauk
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cdunc123 wrote:
Just a footnote to my previous post:

If I were in your shoes the game that would most tempt me would be Panic on Wall St. I haven't tried it, but I've read the rules, and I'm intrigued. It's a negotiation game so there is no real downtime, I would guess.

+1 for Panic on Wall Street!

It is super fun and lasts about 30-45 minutes with rules teach. Plays up to 11. It is in my Top 5 games of all-time and I rate it a "10" on BGG! You can usually get it online for under $30 USD too - which is a steal as the components are top notch.

Enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Mascarade will go to 13.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.