Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,

I've finally completed a project I've been working on for a while now, so of course I wanted to show it to you guys. For a long time I'd been contemplating on how I wanted to store the ever-increasing card pool, as they were already beginning to fill up two of my Core Set boxes. All the Deluxe and Saga boxes are gorgeous, but completely useless once you unwrap your cards.

I decided that some sort of 'modular' solution would be best. And naturally, for a card game, deckboxes seemed like the best fit. First off, it would allow me to continually expand my card storage as much as I needed to. And secondly, if I wanted to take my game somewhere, I would only need the player cards and the particular 'cycle' I was interesting in playing.

Now, standard white deckboxes are a dime a dozen, and I've already got a few lying around the house... But it seemed like a real shame to hide all that gorgeous art and design underneath such a drab exterior.

"TO THE PHOTOSHOPZ!" I declared, and spent more time than I care to admit designing deckboxes for each Cycle and Saga.

Enough of me blabbering on, let's get to the images...

For starters, I keep all my Player Cards in a Core Set box, using my dividers, and Mr. Craft's spiffy insert.

I also still use the Eye of Sauron Lego token holder I built a couple years back.

Nothing really new there, so let's move onto the deckboxes themselves:

I used the cover art from each Deluxe and Saga expansion as the top of each box, as well as matched the color scheme. Along the sides of the box, I wrote the name of the Cycle, and a list of each Encounter Set icon contained within. I also added the list of Quests on the ends.

You'll also notice that on the lower half of each box, I wrapped each side with a different piece of art which came from that particular cycle.

As an extra bonus, I designed new dividers which match the style and art of their cycle, and wrote out the name of each Encounter Set.

And here's the whole set!

The Hobbit box has both OHaUH & On the Doorstep. The Fellowship of the Ring box has room for The Black Riders and the next Saga Expansion. The Ring-maker box has blank Encounter set icons and blank dividers (except for the two quest names they've spoiled), but at least I've got somewhere to put those cards when they're released. The Print on Demand box also has plenty of room for future scenarios. (I've put The Battle for Lake-town as part of the Hobbit saga). I figure I can print out little stickers to add to the box if I want.

Thanks for looking!

• [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is friggin awesome!
I was thinking about doing something similar for a while now, but lack the skills to pull it off... Actually, I was dancing around the idea of asking you for help. laugh

What kind of boxes are you using? Did you make them yourself? I was thinking about using these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matej Dolenc
Slovenia
Škofja Loka
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omg! This is sick! I love it. Great job! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great stuff, as always.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks amazing! Tell us more about the boxes... are they card stock? If so, what weight? Is it easy to get the cards out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Onkes
Germany
Norden
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG!!! Sir, those boxes are awesome, we must have them my precious....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
You look at something like this and you can just tell how the creative process fuels Tom's passion to create these. Brilliant work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stunning masterpiece. Excellent work, Tom!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamien Omen
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

AMAZING. Great job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hill
United Kingdom
Fareham
HAMPSHIRE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just stumbled across this, very happy I could help in a small way

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Pesmatzoglou
Greece
Agios Nikolaos - Anavyssos
Attiki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you decide to make others for selling, count me in for buying !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom,
Great job, as always! I decided a while ago that I'd go with white card boxes too (when I got around to organizing things), but never thought of doing anything so snazzy. I'd tip you some bag but I know your wallet it so full that it doesn't mean much, so accept my thanks for the ideas and kudos for your artful execution (which is maybe worth more anyway?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As always, Tom, you trumped yourself. This is awesome! Thank you for sharing.

Will you upload the new dividers? I would be dying to get my hands on them .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, and I was silly enough to be proud of my custom storage solution (http://downtheanduin.blogspot.com/2013/11/custom-storage-sol...) But after seeing this... not so much. Absolutely awesome job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sterling
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are phenomenal. I LOVE the idea of the modular deckboxes and that's something I should go out and make soon. My giant 5000 card box is preventing me from playing the game more regularly due to it's size.

What sorts of boxes did you use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bach
United States
Rocky Hill
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I'm Bach!
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you keeping the Nightmare Scenarios with their original quests or with the PoDs?

I have always liked your designs and frequently spring-boarded off of your work for my own stuff, (when I haven't directly cribbed the entire thing,) Especially when you do things I haven't been able to learn to do for myself on Photoshop.

Thank you so much for sharing the fruits of your work.

Edited to the further glorification of Tom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bach
United States
Rocky Hill
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I'm Bach!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is each box Specifically sized to the contents or did you use a generic size.

When do we see the Mega-box that you will be storing all of these in? Something with drawer holes maybe? I've had a dream of storing my cards in an old library card catalog unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Guebert
United States
Skokie
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorgeous - well done sir!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulRadagast wrote:
Is each box Specifically sized to the contents or did you use a generic size.

When do we see the Mega-box that you will be storing all of these in? Something with drawer holes maybe? I've had a dream of storing my cards in an old library card catalog unit.

I'm not Tom, but I'd imagine that the point of the modular design, and putting all of that art on the outside of the boxes, is to avoid needing the "Mega-box". It looks like all of the boxes are the same size, too (actually the Nightmare and PoD boxes look smaller than the others by an inch or 2). Based on 525 cards a box (DE+6 APs), I'd guess the boxes are around 2.5-3 in. x 3.5 in. x 6-7 in.

I'm curious what TH does with any "dead" space in the boxes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlson311007 wrote:
Wow, and I was silly enough to be proud of my custom storage solution (http://downtheanduin.blogspot.com/2013/11/custom-storage-sol...) But after seeing this... not so much. Absolutely awesome job!

Yours is rather nice, Casey, don't be so self-deprecating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Garrett
United States
Campbellsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beyond amazing! I'm using five LCG boxes (three LOTR and two Netrunner) to manage my LOTR collection, and I always felt a little lame storing LOTR in Netrunner. I'm envious for sure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks for the support guys, and the awesome comments!

All of the Cycle and Saga boxes are 8" long. The PoD and Nightmare boxes are 6" long. You can see that everything fits quite snugly!

I use foam blocks to fill up unused space. Of course, once a cycle is complete, it's completely full!
I have my cards sleeved in Mayday Premiums, and they only just fit inside the box lengthwise. FFG sleeves would not fit in these things.

I actually got these boxes printed up at superiorpod.com
However, I can't really recommend them... I first ordered the Shadows of Mirkwood cycle box by itself as a test run. It took 6 months for them to complete the order. And when I finally received it, they messed up on printing/cutting it. It took 2 more months to get the fixed box. Once I was happy with the results, I sent in an order for the rest of the boxes, and finally got them 2-3 months later. Their customer service is really hard to get a hold of, since I've never had anyone answer the phone, or respond to e-mails. (I've found that LiveChat on their website is the only way to reach someone.) Unfortunately, I have yet to find any other company that actually offers custom printed deckboxes!

If you know of anywhere, let me know!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best thing about this solution is you only have to bring just that cycle's encounters to a game. Currently, I have everything in 2 boxes, and so when I go to a friends I have to lug over ALL of my cards, even the bunches of cards we simply aren't going to be playing. With this solution, it's a lot easier to manage/handle.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Kryzch
United States
La Crosse
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
OMFG!! Amazing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Adlington
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DUDE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.