We're all individuals
Canada
flag msg tools
Play more Games!
badge
Play more Games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
quick question - how well does Ogre play with Kids? Thinking 8 year old who loves Tsuro, King of Tokyo, and Ticket to Ride.
Thanks in advance
Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Hiesterman
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
I wish to kill you, be at rest as to that, but to kill you quietly in a snug, remote place, where you will not be able to boast of your death to anybody
badge
Caught trouser-free in open country...
mbmbmbmbmb
My 8 year old plays it, but she's been gaming all her life. Learned basic math on Roll Through the Ages...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a very simple game, with movement and odd-ratio combat. No opportunity fire, no fancy stuff. There is no line of sight--just range.

The only complexities are spillover fire, when you have fire at more than one unit per hex, and overruns, where one unit enters the opponent's hex for close combat. The base Ogre game (Ogre vs. command post) doesn't use either of these rules (it uses a simpler ramming rule for close combat) so you can certainly start without them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 9 year old plays it a and likes it. I used it as a gateway, we are now playing more complex stuff..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play the basic Ogre scenario with my 6 year old. I help him with the combat odds, but he can still understand the ideas of the game just fine. It's a great game to play with kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Eichenberg
Germany
Bretten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
8 years old? Ogre (not GEV) and Memoir 44 both worked great when my son was 8 years old (it is his 9th birthday today cool).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'├ętat, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
My 9yo loves playing Ogre with me, and she had to do a bit of math (odds calculations), so it's win win win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Brighton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should have no problems. My kids have been playing Ogre & other similar level complexity games for a long time.

EDIT: This is especially true if you stick to the basic "Smash the CP" Ogre scenarios for a while until they learn the ropes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Ives
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Corcaigh wrote:
Hi all,
quick question - how well does Ogre play with Kids? Thinking 8 year old who loves Tsuro, King of Tokyo, and Ticket to Ride.
Thanks in advance
Cheers

My son played at about 10, I think, so I would think an 8 year old would do ok with some coaching at the beginning. Might pick it up much faster than you think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Ogre is IDEAL for kids. Ideal.

The math is simple but challenging, and they use it in an interactive way that will internalize a lot of ideas in a way that homework, which is too often just skill-building, will never do.

There's no blood, skulls, or cleavage. It's nice and clean in that way.

It's plenty stirring to the imagination. The system is something kids can master and play with. It's not a happy-ending fairy tail, but neither is it miserably dystopian.

My son has been drawing Ogres and GEVs since he was five. It's as much a part of his mental background as the Disney movies. Now he's nineteen and has his own copy of Ogre DE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We're all individuals
Canada
flag msg tools
Play more Games!
badge
Play more Games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone,
Just back from my FLGS, and my back is hurting LOL. Copy of Ogre in the house - now need to do lots of chores around house so that I can have lots of time with it. My son is stoked to play too. Picked up some extra dice - you can never have enough dice, and a reinforcement pack (I have no idea why

As ever the BGG is the best
Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's a reinforcement pack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We're all individuals
Canada
flag msg tools
Play more Games!
badge
Play more Games!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is going back - do not need it, I believe, here is a link to it Ogre Reinforcement Pack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Sunley
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogre Reinforcement Pack is a couple copies each of the countersheets for Ogre/GEV and Shockwave, and the G-1 and S-1 maps, in the original small scale format. It includes some scenarios that use 2 G-1 and/or 2 S-1 maps (one the the reasons I bought a Giant Battlefields Set for ODE) and some optional rules, but does not include the rules for Ogre, GEV, or Shockwave. (Those are covered in the downloadable PDF of the ODE rulebook).

So it's basically a travel edition of about 2/3rds of ODE. (You would need Pocket Ogre for the Ogre/Orange Map, and Battlefields for G-2 and S-2 to complete the stuff included in ODE (Battlefields also includes maps G-3 and S-3, which have not yet been released in ODE format.)).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rock

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Corcaigh wrote:
It is going back - do not need it, I believe, here is a link to it Ogre Reinforcement Pack

Need is relative. It's a cost-effective way to get the G.E.V. and Shockwave maps and counters. That plus Ogre Pocket Ed gives you the majority of ODE content in the original size. I would keep it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We're all individuals
Canada
flag msg tools
Play more Games!
badge
Play more Games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info - very new to Ogre

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 6 games with my 8y/o son now and he loves the game. We're just moving up from Ogre Map to GEV Map scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.