Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Brennan
Australia
St Ives, Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the press is right ... it takes too long (almost 3 hours in ours) and there's way too many events and too much luck. So knowing that, I'd prepared myself for a 'ride' game. Go with the flow, treat it as a bit of an adventure and see what happens. As a result I quite enjoyed the experience and would happily (occasionally) play again.

There's an early game expansion to get your exponential Settlers resource growth thing happening. Then there's a mid-game build in non-growth assets that you'll require to get your last few victory points. And then the clutch at the final points. Amongst all that a story unfolds through the event cards of pirates and merchants, fights and flees.

In our game, Kevin and I soared to an early lead, to be pegged back through the mid-game by Rob who had cannily acquired the diplomacy card that allows you to steal a resource each turn from everyone with more VP's than you (Kevin: "Oh man, how do we steal that card from him?", Pat: "Can't I'm afraid". Kevin: "What kind of space game is this???"). Nick took about stealing the species double-points with trade ships to get back in the race. After three times where I'd been within one turn of winning, only to be sucker punched (once by pirates, once by Nick, once by a dumb build by myself "Trade ships aren't worth victory points!?! I'm an idiot!!!"), and with Kevin and Rob both on 14 VP's and Nick about to steal yet two more points, I launched a last bid for victory, buying a fame ring, destroying a pirate nest with 5 cannons and putting down a colony ship for a last gasp 3 point come-from-behind win. It was frustrating to be denied earlier (probably added half an hour to the game), but that's the way adventures go some days.

Scores: Pat 15, Kevin and Rob 14, Nick 11.

A rating of 6 after 1 play; an ok game, happy to roll out every now and then. It has some boredom in there whilst you're waiting for your resource numbers to come up, and it takes a while to build up what you need for the final victory launch, but it provides some interesting avenues to explore along the way through a host of new special powers you can acquire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.