Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
In the past I played some games that may count as wargames in a wider sense but that I did not consider them as wargames: Wings of War (tabletop), Wallenstein (Weuro) and some fantasy wargames (War of the Ring, Conquest of Nerrath,...). Now I have played the first game that I would consider a wargame: Hammer of the Scots. I liked the theme, the pretty simple rules and that it goods allthough the graphic (esp. on the blocks) is fairly simple. The main downside IMHO was that luck is a little too important. If you roll really bad no tactic or strategy can safe you.

Now I am looking for one or two (maybe 3) other new games to try. I would like to have a solo game, a game for 2 and a game for 3-5 players.

DIFFICULTY: The rules should not be to difficult. The 2p game and the 3-5p game should not be more difficult than Hammer of the Scots. The solo game can be more complicated but it does not have to be.

THEME: I am not a "fan" of WW 1 or 2 or the more recent coflicts, allthough aircombat in these conflicts would be interessting. Medieval would be my first choice, ancient my second choice and the time between the dark ages and the first WW third coice. (Fanatsy ans SciFi are fine too but not what I am looking for at the moment.)

PLAYING TIME: The 2p and 3-5p game should last 2-3 (maybe 4) hours while the solo game can have a longer playing time.

MECHANIC: This is a difficult one since I do not know much about wargames. For the sake of replayablity a certain amount of luck is ok but it should not be to dominant. Furthermore I like cards better than dice.

LOOKS: And now it gets difficult. I am not a fan of counters, esp not of very simple counters. Counters with nice graphic (like Heroes of Normandy) would be ok, blocks would be better, miniatures (but not a tabletop) would be perfect.

I did some searching on my own and I found Britannia which could be a good 3-5p game for me but the fact it is more or less 4p only makes me hesitate.

I hope you have some good suggestions for me.

Edit: I would be nice if the game would be easy to get in Germany.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morneau
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should get a lot of good responses to this. I don't know Hammer of the Scots so I can't gauge it's difficulty in relation to other games. Since you mention an interest in Medieval you should take a look at Men of Iron Series. The ruleset is nice, not too heavy, not too light. Other two player games that come to mind are Guelphs and Ghibellines and the Jours de Gloire Series.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
davidmorneau wrote:
You should get a lot of good responses to this. I don't know Hammer of the Scots so I can't gauge it's difficulty in relation to other games. Since you mention an interest in Medieval you should take a look at Men of Iron Series. The ruleset is nice, not too heavy, not too light. Other two player games that come to mind are Guelphs and Ghibellines and the Jours de Gloire Series.

Good luck.

Three names I never read before. Thank you. I will take a look at those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hellsten
United Kingdom
Thatcham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Men of Iron, I was fairly new to war gaming and found MoI straight forward and very enjoyable. Blood & Roses is volume 3 in the series and will be out in a few weeks, so will be very easy to get hold of. The series works well either solo or 2 player.

As far as a 3-5 player game, I would suggest looking at 1812: The Invasion of Canada or it's sister 1775 game. Good solid multiplayer lite-wargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
RAVENBURG wrote:
I second Men of Iron, I was fairly new to war gaming and found MoI straight forward and very enjoyable. Blood & Roses is volume 3 in the series and will be out in a few weeks, so will be very easy to get hold of. The series works well either solo or 2 player.

As far as a 3-5 player game, I would suggest looking at 1812: The Invasion of Canada or it's sister 1775 game. Good solid multiplayer lite-wargames.

Thanks for the advice. I have allready shortlisted 1775 and 1812 but I fear that they might be too lite. For a 2p game with my wife the difficulty might be just right for a 3-5p game with my game group it might be to lite...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Good looking 2 player block game: Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rexbinary
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
mbmbmbmbmb
Warriors of God would be good for you I think but it just recently went out of print. There are copies available on the BGG Marketplace though.

Empires of the Middle Ages might be worth a look but it's a little over the complexity you requested.

Kingdom of Heaven: The Crusader States 1097-1291 another one that might be a little over your complexity request but worth a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
rexbinary wrote:
Warriors of God would be good for you I think but it just recently went out of print. There are copies available on the BGG Marketplace though.

Empires of the Middle Ages might be worth a look but it's a little over the complexity you requested.

Kingdom of Heaven: The Crusader States 1097-1291 another one that might be a little over your complexity request but worth a look.

Since Empires of the Middle Ages has solo rules complexity would not be a problem but it has the really ugly counters that turn me of. Warriors of Gos looks much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
For the 2-player I would give Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage a look. A little more complex than Hammer of the Scots but not too much. The battle mechanic uses cards in a pretty unique way and almost, but not quite, dispenses with dice.

Multi-player you might consider Friedrich but that only really plays 4 but again manages to do combat without dice.

Solitaire non-WWII is a little hard to find - Field Commander: Alexander or The Peloponnesian War, 431-404 BC are two that spring to mind, possibly Navajo Wars, although I'm not sure that counts as a wargame. Most of the good ones I've played are set in WWII.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
moujamou wrote:

Allthough Japan is a setting that I don't like too much the game look good at first glance. Blocks and cards sound like a good combination. I will consider this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wooster
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
"He who runs with aggression, walks without dignity."
mbmbmbmbmb
Originaldibbler wrote:
moujamou wrote:

Allthough Japan is a setting that I don't like too much the game look good at first glance. Blocks and cards sound like a good combination. I will consider this one.

I second Sekigahara. No luck/dice combat, but a lot of tension and uncertainty in the battles. The mechanics are simple and innovative, and are perfect for the historical nature of the conflict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked at Crusader Rex and Commands & Colors: Ancients? They fit your time period that you are interested in and playing time. Also, although they are probably best for two players, they can be played quite well solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm tempted to recommend Commands & Colors: Ancients and it's medieval cousin BattleLore. With two players, both play quickly, with scenarios lasting about an hour. Both have "Epic" variants where you can play with 3 or 4 players on a side. C&C Ancients comes with wooden blocks; Battlelore with plastic miniatures. Both feature card play as the central mechanic for moving units, with dice used to resolve combat.

Now the downside: some people find this game has too much luck for them. There *will* be times when you won't be able to order the units you want. For some, this is unacceptable. For me, the frustration of having to decide what to do when I want to do three different things is what gives the game its charm.

If you like no-luck games, you might look at Napoleon's Triumph and other games in the series. The wooden blocks are beautiful. You should see if you can download the rules and give them a read.

For strategic games with miniatures, try Joan of Arc or Conquest of the Empire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hecker
Australia
Kallista, jewel of the Dandenongs
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you said not WW1 / WW2, but as an entree it is hard to go past Battle for Moscow (second edition). Victory Point Games have recently prepared an inexpensive version. It's established, has the standard combat / move configurations and zones of control. Get this under your belt and a whole world of gaming opens.

Many of the suggestions above are certainly great but they are many quite new designs that may not help you in learning other games and systems. BfM is beautifully stripped down (60 mins playtime, good solo) but has all the mechanics you will see again and again.

Welcome on board! It's a fine place for gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Medieval is a fun multiplayer game with fairly simple rules, but it is out of print and may be hard to get. I don't think it's that expensive, just a bit hard to find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tasos Protopapas
Greece
Athens
Attica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Case Blue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warriors of God
Sekigahara
Infidel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Day
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well, based on this part of your criteria

Quote:
LOOKS: And now it gets difficult. I am not a fan of counters, esp not of very simple counters. Counters with nice graphic (like Heroes of Normandy) would be ok, blocks would be better, miniatures (but not a tabletop) would be perfect.

it narrows the choices down. These would be my suggestions:
NAPOLEON'S WAR THE FIRST 100 DAYS
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/65313/napoleons-war-t...

FIELD COMMAND
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1358/field-command

FEUDAL
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/847/feudal

ok so on to some very good easy block games:
JULIUS CAESAR
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/37836/julius-caesar

NAPOLEON THE WATERLOO CAMPAIGN
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1662/napoleon-the-wat...

SEKIGAHARA
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/25021/sekigahara-the-...

Now some very good Chit Centric Easy intro Wargames
MANOEUVRE
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/17396/manoeuvre

TURNING POINT
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/66533/turning-point

CHAINMAIL
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/35508/chainmail
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Julius Caesar. It's like Hammer of the Scots but, in my view, has more options (ie, greater replayability), and is more strategically challenging.

Another game from the same publisher and with a very similar mechanic, is Crusader Rex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
davidmorneau wrote:
Other two player games that come to mind are Guelphs and Ghibellines and the Jours de Gloire Series.

I would emphatically NOT recommend Jours de Gloire Series for someone new to wargaming. It isn't an easy system to learn or master. I'm an established grognard (been playing wargames for over 40 years) and even I have difficulty with it.

I would suggest starting small, find something you enjoy that has a relatively low price point. Decision Games (DG, and their many associated magazine games) have a line of minigames which (for the most part) are all easy to get into. Similarly, many of the offerings from Victory Point Games (VPG) are easy entry-level games for the hobby. And if you like 'Hammer of the Scots' why not look into other block-style games from Colombia Games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subatomic Birdicle
United States
flag msg tools
*chirp*
badge
*squawk*
mbmbmbmbmb
Britannia

Kingmaker

Great Medieval Battles

The Crusades

possibly Kingdom of Heaven: The Crusader States 1097-1291 which I have here, haven't tried it yet.

Various magazine games whose topics might interest you:

Byzantium

Charlemagne

Belisarius

The Hundred Years War

and for something completely different

Mad Monks and Relics
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Ciabatti
Italy
Firenze
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
Clipped avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also consider the Au fil de l'épée series for the Medieval age. Its last two installments, Le Lion et l'Epée and Swords of Sovereignty: Bouvines 1214 – Worringen 1288, have die cut counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Phytoman wrote:
Have you looked at Crusader Rex and Commands & Colors: Ancients? They fit your time period that you are interested in and playing time. Also, although they are probably best for two players, they can be played quite well solo.

I think I would like Command and Colours but I allready own BattleLore and Battles of Westeros...

Crusader Rex looks like it is worth to take a closer look. (Edit: On a second look the fighting system looks too similar to Hammer of the Scots.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hamster007 wrote:
I know you said not WW1 / WW2, but as an entree it is hard to go past Battle for Moscow (second edition). Victory Point Games have recently prepared an inexpensive version. It's established, has the standard combat / move configurations and zones of control. Get this under your belt and a whole world of gaming opens.

Many of the suggestions above are certainly great but they are many quite new designs that may not help you in learning other games and systems. BfM is beautifully stripped down (60 mins playtime, good solo) but has all the mechanics you will see again and again.

Welcome on board! It's a fine place for gaming.

OK, learning a system that is common to many wargames would make sense but if you have to point me to a WW2 game to learn it, i ask myself: "Arfe there many games with a medieval or ancient setting that use this system?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
mbmbmbmbmb
terumi wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.