Vandel Arden
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge

In the darkness of the winternight the young men gathered around the fire, listening to the old man`s tale. He claimed to be one of the men, who once discovered the fabled lands of Vinland. But was it true? Even as the old man left, his stories remained, took root in the dreams and desires of men. Most of them kept dreaming but some brave or foolish enought were ready to leave their lifes behind and become legends, or die trying.
This is their Story.

In Vinland, the Players take the Role of two of four characters from the Vinland Saga, the merchant brothers Helgi and Finnbogi, the fierce shieldmaiden Freydís and her brother Leif Eiríksson, children of Erik the Red and in their shadow, Eyiolf Thorgestsson seeking revenge for a blood depth. Adventures and fame will welcome the brave, if they survive the sea of storms and blood, entangled in a net of betrayal and ambition.
The first version of Vinland will follow the characters on their travel across Greenland, past the frozen island of bears and beyond the deep forests of Markland. The Game can be either played as a racing game, to reach Vinland first, or as a co-op game on a shared expedition. Vinland will be a 18 Cards game and tries to merge the dense historical references with a light encountersystem.

Inspired by latest trend for minimalistic games like Loveletter and Tiny Epic Kingdom, I wanted to create such a small-component-count game but incorporate the whole gameplay of games like Archipelago, Robinson Crusoe and Arkham Horror into it. A very inpiring example is Todd Sanders Barrier Planes gamedesign.

A first designdecision is that it should work with only 18 Cards. So far I planned on 2 Player Hero-Cards, 2 Track-Cards for different elements of the Game. 7 Cards will show maps, on which the Ship of the Players can move, the other 7 Cards will be the Journey-Cards, having three types of encounters on them.

The theme resolves around the fabled Continent of Vinland (america) discovered by Vikings way ahead of Columbus. The player have to play two members of an expedition into the unknown West. Its a coop game in which they have to survive Weather on land and sea, encounter Wild Animals and rediscover lost settlements, ruins and gravesides of former expeditions.

The Game ends, when they cross the last of the seven sea(card)s and may reach Vinland. Its not about the arrival in Vinland, but about the Journey of the Vikings to that fabled place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandel Arden
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge

Here is the first progress on the Encountercards, with the first section designed and the other two to follow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandel Arden
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I think the Mapstructure will resemble the ones used in Dungeon Fighter, while leaving more options to navigate in save waters, but with less chance for Loot and Foodsupplies on Islands.

Here is the Next Sketch for the Encounter-Cards:

And many thanks to Peter for correcting my many spelling errors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandel Arden
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Added first Map-Card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Tharp
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hobby game designer, please print and play my games!
mbmbmbmbmb
This game sounds very interesting to me. I like the graphic design so far as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandel Arden
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Thanks, the first row was inspired by Todd's Barrier Plains encounter cards but I tried to find my own designing way for the rest of the Card. The Island designs are inspired by my daily work of mapmaking for other games.
Also the cards are full with information I think its a bit plain not having some cardart on it.
Maybe after the minimalist Microgame Version, I would like to create an Illustrative Version with only one encounter per Card but include Cardart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice island design. What are you using to make the maps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandel Arden
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Omega2064 wrote:
Nice island design. What are you using to make the maps?

12 Layers of Textures, Colors, Layereffects and Magic. All done in PS-CS6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandel Arden
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge

Ok got much more Islands done than intended, they were actually fun to do. In the final game will be only be 7 including 2 blank sea cards. But the others make a fine Add-On.

Comments and Critique are welcome at this stage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandel Arden
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
And here is the first full Sea-Map-Card.

Dark Blue = Storm-Encounter
Orange = Wilderness-Encounter
Grey = Settlement/Ruin-Encounter

Red-Cross = Double-Encounter, draw 2 Cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
very visually appealing layout. now you need to finish a game so we all can play one of your works of art
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandel Arden
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
dumarest123 wrote:
very visually appealing layout. now you need to finish a game so we all can play one of your works of art

I am honored and encurage by your praise. As a long time fan of your designs I feel motivated to finally get a game done and establish a style which reflects upon the time I am spending thinking about games.

This Contests realy are making me to try harder to minimalise for PnP on the one side but also expand my graphical articulation on the other side.

Ok well, here is the Coverart for the Gamebox.

Good old Edmund Dulac and the Little Mairmaid. Well I didnt feel like adding bloodthirsty Vikings on the Cover.

Oh and I have plenty of Ideas for a second game about the travels of Saint Brendan. This Game is slowly expanding its research in many surprising ways. I hope it will be fun to play, so I would love to find some playtesters after its finished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandel Arden
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Ok here comes some "Historical" about the Locations from the Saga of Leif Erikson and Erik the Red.

Two important locations from which the travels start are the Western(Vestribyggd) and Eastern(Eystribygd) Settlements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandel Arden
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The Vinland Sagas describe three separate areas discovered during the exploration period of the Greenlanders: Helluland, which means "land of the flat stones"; Markland, "the land of forests" and Vinland, "the land of wine". The above mentioned Eastern and Western Settlements were abandoned in the 14. and 15. Century, leaving little traces of the once florishing greenlandic ivory trade.

This depicts the Eastern Settlement at its peak.
As already seen here, a lot of islands make great inspirations for encounters. Greenland should be the Level 1 Encounters in a relatively "friendly" enviroment inhabited by other Vikings. I am thinking of creating Cards depicting the 2 real Settlements. But not sure yet.

The knowlegde of the shape of the World was still clouded and mystified, so thats another anchorstone for the Design. It is to be asume that the Locations of Vinland and the other locations on the map were common knowledge at the peak of the danish-norwaygian reign in northern europe but got lost while the "Vikings" got assimilated in their conquered terretories like Britain and Northern France.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandel Arden
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge

Alternative covers for possible game-expansions next to each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea and the artwork. Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandel Arden
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I have to finish some buisness first, than resume here. Its nice to see the contest evolving and more people joining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ok but get back on your design soon. don't make me come over there and point at you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandel Arden
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
dumarest123 wrote:
ok but get back on your design soon. don't make me come over there and point at you

I am back soon. Just making some Progress on the Isla de Ladrones PnP Designs, commissioned by Orion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion Free
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The work being done for [Submission, Testing]{2014 PnP 2-Player Contest} Isla de Ladrones is exciting!

I'm grateful to be working with Josephe on this. I'm sure he'll be able to start making some awesome progress on Vinland and kick it out of the park. It will be exciting to see how these games progress!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandel Arden
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge

More images, this time by Viktor Mikhailovich Vasnetsov (1848-1926)
Very inspiring for Vinland which will see more care from me again in March.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boy those are some lazy vikings just lying there in the grass like that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandel Arden
Germany
Leipzig
Sachsen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
You surgest I paint more blood into it ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owl Shield
msg tools
This looks beautiful, i'm waiting with baited breath
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vandel Arden