Kristin Gamecaurless
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
We both love games. My favorites are Puzzle Strike, Ascension, Dominion, Trajan. His favorites are Yedo, Fantastiqua, Seasons, Cosmic Encounter. We enjoy playing Lords of Waterdeep and Eldersign together. We need something that we will love to play together. He really wants Tales of the Arabian Nights which is a fine game but not what I want for a two player right now. Contenders include Eldritch Horror, Pathfinder ACG (my choice), Shadows Over Camelot (his choice).

We need some help! Weight in here please on these games or others. We have $60 to spend. And we want a game we will love to play together! Thanks smart insightful gamers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Black

Winter Park
FL
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I believe Shadows over Camelot is for 3-5 players. I try to only get games that are good with 2 players because it is usually just me and my fiance. I am getting ready to get Pathfinder and Eldritch Horror because they both look good for 2 players. We just picked up Through the Ages and have enjoyed it so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight. Check the forums...needs no explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I design custom dividers, playmats, and cards for various BGG users.
badge
Check my profile page for links to all my posted projects!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set Totally Co-Op. This works well for me and my wife, because I am a gamer and she pretty much plays with me because she knows I'm a gamer. Instead of competing against her, we work together to complete the mission and help each other acquire the cards we need to make our decks better.

If you guys like competing against each other, then this is not the game for you.

If you like to campaign with each other, then this is the game for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tales is good but expensive.
If you like Trajan, try Castles of Burgundy or Bora Bora
The Great Zimbabwe if you can find a copy for a unique experience.
Terra Mystica is a great game ymmv.
Keyflower for some depth in worker placement and bidding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy Tales of the Arabian Nights. My wife and I have a blast playing it by ourselves and with others.

Of the three you mentioned, I would say Eldritch Horror is probably your best bet. Doesn't have a lot of variety in the base game, but the inevitable expansions should make it much better.

If you enjoy Ascension, you should check out Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game. It plays similarly, but it has tons of variables to make every game different. It has the two currencies like Ascension, but there are two center rows for the cards; One for cards you can buy, one for cards you can defeat. I prefer Ascension to Legendary, but I've been playing Legendary nonstop since I purchased it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maida F.
United States
Vallejo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My spouse and I enjoy Takenoko, Ginkgopolis, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set, and Eldritch Horror among many others
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamien Omen
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

A really popular 'couples' game on this site seems to be The Castles of Burgundy. I haven't played it, but I'm hoping to introduce it to my wife shortly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristin Wickaur
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Test
We ordered Eldritch Horror and we have one more choice. I'm thinking Kemet, Thunderstone, or Eight Minute Empire. Opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunnylady303 wrote:
We ordered Eldritch Horror and we have one more choice. I'm thinking Kemet, Thunderstone, or Eight Minute Empire. Opinions?

8 min empire, but I'm a bit biased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thunderstone is similar to Ascension, IMO. But then again, I don't like either of those games. I do love me some Dominion and Puzzle Strike. I think you should branch out, though.

Your other two are better with more than 2p, from everything I've read.

JJRR_Esq wrote:
Mage Knight. Check the forums...needs no explanation.

This so much. Has deckbuilding implemented in a fantasy theme by the same designer as Through the Ages. It's a wonderful game, epic, beautiful. And I'm saying this as someone that fantasy/sci-fi does nothing for. Watch this series to see what it's all about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_zW9zDxeYU&list=PLB7C824980F...

I love it as a solitaire game and have no desire to play it with others, but it also works great as a 2-3p game (more players just add more downtime)

If you want something simpler, look at Innovation. Incredible Civ-themed 2-4p card game (don't play with 4, best with 2), it's wild. It's fun. And I think, based off what both of you like, it'd be a hit with you guys. Ignore the expansions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd skip both of Shadows over Camelot and Pathfinder I think.

With traitors on two obviously doesn't work and Pathfinder seem to be so random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.