Popular Tags: [View All]
Maya
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I wanted to try a Ranger deck, but I don't have that many Ranger cards, and in particular I only have two Ranger Heroes, Aragorn (plus Loragorn) and Beravor. I looked at the various combos available to me, decided I wanted Leadership and Lore - but none of my Leadership heroes paired thematically with the rangers.

Then I thought, why couldn't I use Ally Faramir as a "placeholder" hero? His stats are decent hero-level stats, his ability is significant, he's in the sphere I want, and thematically he's perfect. This is a dude who pulls more than his own weight as an ally, often turning the tide in games where you are finding it hard to quest. He's already working harder than a lot of the official heroes in my games.

A few days ago, I read somewhere that the cost of most heroes was WP+ATK+DEF+HP. I looked through all my heroes, and sure enough, almost every one of them held true to this formula. So I said, just for kicks, let's use Faramir as a Leadership hero with a Threat cost of 9 (I added one point to ensure a fair game.)

I just test drove the deck against PtM and will pick up Massing at Osgiliath next. So far the deck looks pretty viable, but I had to stop for a few minutes to see what other players thought about this idea. I think it could open up a lot of play options and enable a wider range of thematic decks. Hero Arwen Undomiel questing with her brothers? Farmer Maggot striding forth to save Middle-Earth with Sam and Merry? I'd love to see how that works out.

Anybody have any thoughts about this? What great allies would you use as heroes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
banana
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thtat's an interesting idea, and one I may use while waiting for the pool of heroes to grow.

At first with this game, I wasn't very concerned about heroes and was eager to be spoiled of the next player cards, allies, attachments, events. But recently, the exact example of the Ranger trait (and now the Ranger-Trap deck type) as it emerged during Against the Shadow made me realize how much the starting heroes are essential to your deckbuilding. And at the time, there is no hero supporting the Ranger-Trap archetype for wich you need low threat (hello spirit), ressources you cruelly lack in lore (hello leadership) and a means to strike in the staging area (hello tactics). The Lore Faramir hero is nothing but a sham!

Wo your 9-threat Faramir hero in the leadership sphere is very interesting. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is an idea I've thought about for a long time, specifically with Faramir before his hero card was available (although I like his ally ability a touch better).

My thoughts on unique hero substitutes below, ranked more or less in order of usefulness. I did not include allies that have abilities relating to playing from your hand (Bofur), have extremely sub-par stats (Gleowine) or that are discarded at the end of the round (Gandalf, although OHaUH Gandalf would be an interesting hero).

he ability to use hero-only attachments is a big draw for some of these below, especially ones who are lacking in attack or defense. In general, I'd suggest that threat cost is equal to WP + AT + DF + HP + Cost.

Leadership
Brok Ironfist immediately comes to mind. He's essentially a replacement hero, without a special ability.
Faramir (12) - Great ability that already seems very hero-like. It would be great for him to get some
Forlong (9) - His ability would be tremendously powerful as a hero in an already overpowered Outlands deck.

Spirit
Elfhelm (12) - Now, this is a great hero substitute. The cost is just right and the ability is very useful.
Arwen (7) - Her stats aren't great, but she has a nice support ability.
Eomund (9) - Okay ability, similar to Boromir.
Damrod (11) - Decent stats, but his ability is basically a "nuclear option".

Lore

Gildor Inglorion (16) - Great stats great ability. Pretty high cost.
Haldir (13) - Excellent stats, but no special ability.
Dori (10) - His ability essentially becomes transfer damage from one hero to another, but it could be useful in some circumstances.

Leadership
Bill the Pony (6) - Can't say he's a really a great hero substitute, but I'd love to try a Sam, Frodo, and Bill deck!

Tactics
Bofur (10) - Good ability in the right deck, and with the exception of defense very nice stats.
Guthlaf (9) - Not a bad idea for a Gondor deck.
Bombur (7) - Decent ability, low stats.

Neutral
Radagast (12) - Interesting idea for a hero substitute in a creature-heavy deck.

Some non-unique ideas:
Northern tracker (12) - definitely heroic ability.
Dunedain Wanderer (12) - I've always liked this card, but it needs a special ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is also something that had occured to me (and I was also mainly inpsired to use the Faramir ally), but I've never got around to trying it out.

Acrux wrote:
In general, I'd suggest that threat cost is equal to WP + AT + DF + HP + Cost.
Adding the Cost makes the threat values far too high. The baseline for heroes is WP + AT + DF + HP. Few if any of the unique allies have abilities good enough to justify any increase above that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
banana
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second that, the cost of the ally is irrelevant.

I mean the Gildor Inglorion ally would still need to exhaust for an ability which is powerful but not THAT powerful compared to other card drawing ability. For this ability to cost an extra point of threat maybe but definitely not 5 points! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maya
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree, adding the ally cost is overkill. Faramir makes a solid Hero, but he's not the equal of Aragorn. in any case, FFG obviously used the Heroes four stats as the baseline formula and only deviated from it in a few special cases. I wouldn't change that unless an ally had a spectacularly powerful ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.