Chris Dietsch
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit confused here, how does this card work? I am Merisiel and I don't have much magic, and am playing solo.

What is the magic trait? Anything that's divine? What cards have the Magic trait so I can look at it and get a reference?

Many thanks, this is turning out to be a potential favorite solo game for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cdietschrun wrote:
I'm a bit confused here, how does this card work? I am Merisiel and I don't have much magic, and am playing solo.

What is the magic trait? Anything that's divine? What cards have the Magic trait so I can look at it and get a reference?

To have the Magic trait, the card defining your check must say so. Divine and Arcane by themselves do not have the Magic trait.

The traits on the cards are listed in the upper left. Look at the "Fire Sneeze" promo spell card and you'll see these traits: Magic, Arcane, Divine, Attack, Fire.

The +1 weapons have the Magic trait as well

When you attempt a check, one of the steps is "Determine Which Die You're Using". In that step you'll find this:

Rulebook v2 p11 wrote:
Some cards may allow you to replace the required skill for a check with a different one; as part of this action, you may play only 1 card or use only 1 power that changes the skill you are going to use. When you play a card that does this, add that card’s traits to the check; for example, revealing the weapon Longsword +1 for your combat check adds the Sword, Melee, Slashing, and Magic traits to the check.

So that is how you get the trait from your card to your check.

There are some cards that you would play during the "Play Cards and Use Powers That Affect the Check" step in the Attempting A Check sequence that explicitly instruct you to add a trait to a check. Shock Longbow+1 I believe includes this when played to add to a combat check at another location.

There are also a few character powers that instruct you to add traits. Seoni's power to discard to cast a "fireball" for example include adding the Magic and Fire traits. Sajan's unarmed attack power can be upgraded to include the Magic trait. And Kyra's "turn undead" power inludes adding the Magic trait. And note that Kyra's power doesn't say she gets the extra die on just a combat check. She gets it on any check to defeat the undead.

So that is a little lesson in traits. I hope it helps. As for your encounter, even though you can't "defeat" the bane without the magic trait in your check, you can still roll higher than the difficulty value, which means you won't take damage for failing the check. So you can succeed at the check, you just won't defeat the bane. But you are Merisiel, so you can just evade it as well.

If you are soloing a character that has no access to the Magic trait right now, you have three options:

1. When undefeated, that bane will get shuffled back into the location. Just keep exploring until you find the henchman/villain and then close the location. The bane will be banished and you won't need to worry about it.
2. Go to another location and try to get the villain to flee to that location. If you defeat the villain there you won't need to defeat that other bane.
3. Its fine to remove that bane and replace it with another of equal difficulty, but one which you have a chance to defeat.

Playing solo, you might want to consider playing 2 (or even 3) characters instead of just one.

Good luck! And this game is truly awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
The magic trait is on spells and any magic item.
Regular items and weapons are non-magical and do not have the magic trait. Bows have ranged trait, swords have melee trait, etc. The traits are written right on the card.

You don't have any magic. You make a combat check against the Ghost as normal. If you fail, you take damage as normal. If you succeed, you don't take damage but because you did not use magic, the Ghost is "undefeated" which means it is shuffled back into the location deck.

Playing solo with Merisiel if you don't find a magic item, you won't be able to defeat the ghost. However, you can still achieve victory you can defeat the Henchman or Villain in that location and succeed at your close the location check.

If you find a Henchman and fail the check to close the location and are not able to try again until you empty the deck... you will have to close all the other locations and chase the villain to the deck with the ghost and hope the villain winds up on top of the ghost in one of your shuffles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cdietschrun wrote:

Magic is not the same as Divine or even Arcane.

If Merisiel has to make a Combat check you could play a Dagger weapon card. Once you play that card you now add the traits from the card to your Check so you would add Knife, Ranged, Piercing, and Basic to the Combat check. I think of this as now I would be making a Knife, Ranged, Piercing, Basic, Combat Check. But this check does not have the Magic trait.

If she was using a magic Dagger it would say Magic in the list of traits along with Knife, Ranged, etc. Since Magic is one of the traits than that check would count.

There are bunch of Weapons with the Magic trait, such as the Longsword +1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dietsch
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you guys for the great responses!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're playing Merisiel and encounter something that you can't defeat as you lack the trait you may as well just evade it from the outset (one of Merisiel's skills is the ability to evade an encounter)- that will have exactly the same effect (the card will be shuffled back into the deck) and means you won't risk taking any damage, and won't waste your time trying to do the impossible.

Edit: sorry, I now see Hawkmoon mentioned that in the excellent response above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.