Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Valdir Jorge
flag msg tools
Date: May 20th, 2006

Game: Smear

Players: Bert , Martin, Niall, Patrick, Paul

GM: Valdir (myself)

My game of PitchCar in the morning finished earlier than expected, so I had some time off before the afternoon slot (games at CanGames are usually slotted to start at 9 am, 2 pm and 7 pm), so I went out for a walk (it was raining lightly) to look for a bed and breakfast for next year (this year's hotel bill was kind of expensive...). I didn't find anything into walking distance of the Rideau Curling Club, where the event happens.

When I got back to the convention area, I checked the registration sheet for the card games that I would be running in the afternoon and I was surprised to see that there were already four names on it! I had established five as my maximum number, so there was only one more spot available. Previously I had been worried that there would be no players interested in such a weird idea as playing four card games in a row. I'm happy to see that I was wrong!

A fifth player (Martin, the GM of the PitchCar game in the morning) joined us to complete the table. He said at the beginning that he would have to leave at 4 pm because he would be GM'ing a game of Heroscape for kids. I told him that that was not a problem at all.

I put all my card games on the table (ten, in all), talked about each one briefly and opened the floor for them to choose the first one. Paul, who was closer to the stack of games, picked up Smear and the others agreed, so that's what I taught them first.

I went through the colourful rules with them, they understood everything pretty well. There were some questions, nothing important. When I mentioned the rule about smearing an open run, you could see the wicked wheels turning in their heads...

The game was nasty, as it always is. The first round was nicer because they were still learning the game, but after that the nastiness was all over the table. It was a lot of fun to see how the game developed.

We had agreed to play three hands and add up the scores. After two rounds Bert was in the lead and he was trying to close all runs because he had a good hand of cards, but the other guys were not willing to finish the game too soon. It didn't matter anyway, Bert was able to have the lowest score (which is the winner, in this game) after three rounds to grab the victory.

Final Score
Player: S1 S2 S3 Total
Bert: 5 10 12 27
Martin: 2 20 7 29
Paul: 8 13 16 37
Patrick: 13 21 8 42
Niall: 15 15 13 43

Even though Martin won two of the three rounds, his bad showing in the second round cost him the game.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.