Subject: New Dice Game: CV vs Blueprints vs Steam Park rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interested in getting a new dice game. I have played many with Roll through the Ages being the best.

Looking for one from the 2013 Essen Crop ... I am a card carrying member of the Cult of the New.

Blueprints I have played. Has some decisions. Easy to teach. Probably better with 2 or 3 players.

Steam Park seems to be an interesting game, but does it overstay it's welcome? Are the bonus cards balanced?

CV looks fun , but not sure there is much of a game here. Also seems better with fewer people.

Thoughts? Comparisons? Which are you interested in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
I enjoyed Steam Park more than Blueprints, but not enough to keep.

I enjoyed Galapagos about as much as Steam Park. I'd play either if asked.

Zahlen-Mobile is my favorite of the recent dice games, but I've got odd tastes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't already, check out Radho's runthrough of CV. That moved me from, "Is this really a game?" to buying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loved Rahdo's review. He did an awesome job. Still not sure there are a lot of decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgot about Castle Dice. Seems cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just made a trade for it. We can check it out when it comes in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For which?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chad winters
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me Steam Park is the best of the three. Instead of over staying its welcome I actually feel like i need a few more turns to do everything I wanted to do to my park. And the cards are fine. There are more than one of each card and they just give you some direction for what to shoot for. As for Blueprints it is fun and simple and that is my main gripe its just to simple. Not sure if I like the bonus cards in this one because you are not forced to build your blueprint so you can just go for the bonus cards. The only thing I will say for Cv is you are right not many decisions and I have had my fill after two games. I just ordered Castle Dice and should have it by the weekend so if you are still deciding I can post and give you my thoughts on that one too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark De Lorenzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Falcons wrote:
Forgot about Castle Dice. Seems cool.

Castle Dice is very cool. Great gateway game too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Falcons wrote:
For which?

Castle Dice. Also grabbed Garden Dice in same trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis de Vries
Netherlands
Deventer
flag msg tools
Ah, doctor, that aneasthetic is perfect!
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Quantum?

There are many uses of dice in this game and this game can be considered a 'lighter' abstract (in my opinion). You have to like the space/science fiction theme, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Please update us on what you're getting as I'm in the same boat as you I have blueprints on pre-order while Steam Park's gameplay just didn't grab me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still not sure. Leaning towards Steam Park as it has lots of positive reviews.

Castle Dice seems interesting. I Really Like the theme for CV. Just concerned I will bore of it after a couple of plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wolfe
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Blueprints and own Castle Dice, CV, and Steam Park.

I did not like Blueprints but I only played once in a 2-player game. I don't like how all the bonus cards are worth 2 points in a 2-player game, making it obvious exactly how many points your opponent has. I don't see the point in keeping the scoring cards hidden in that instance. I also never really found the decisions all that interesting. It always seemed like there were certain goal cards you should aim for based on what building you have that round. It's not a bad game, but it just didn't do it for me.

CV has much more interesting decisions, IMO. After a couple rounds as you've purchased cards from the display and you have symbol tokens and special abilities, it becomes very tough to decide if you should stop rolling the dice or take a chance to roll what you really want instead of settling for what you can definitely get. And you really do feel like you're trying to make life choices that you can't always make due to external forces beyond your control. My wife and I like CV a lot. The whimsical artwork helps quite a bit. It is a lighter game than Steam Park and Castle Dice. I do think 4 players is too much for the game as turns can take a little long while players are internally debating which cards to go after. If you're tolerant of longer turns it might not be an issue for you.

Steam Park might be the prettiest game I own. And the cardboard rides are simply delightful. The frantic dice rolling each round is a lot of fun and there is a deceptive amount of strategy in how you plan your park, which rides and booths you buy, and how you manage the dirt you accumulate. I haven't felt that any bonus cards are unbalanced. If it turns out there is an unbalanced bonus card you could always remove it from the game. Unlike CV, Steam Park is better with 3 and 4 players. It's still good with 2, but better with more.

Castle Dice has more luck than Steam Park and CV (once you get some cards in CV and have symbols to use). You'll find it hard to build some of the castle cards if you can't protect your resources, and you can't protect your resources unless you pull and hire guards from the deck. There are a lot of interesting choices to make each round, but I've seen games where it was obvious who was going to win just by who managed to get some guards early in the game. I still really enjoy Castle Dice, but I do wish it was a little less dependent on luck of cards draws. It plays well with 2, 3, and 4 players.

So that's my take on these 4 games. I don't regret buying CV, Steam Park, or Castle Dice and I don't regret passing on Blueprints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.