Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
56 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: What is the most difficult wargame you have used to introduce the wargaming hobby rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Ryan
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leo Zappa's post inspired this one. The ideal is they picked up war gaming after the experience. What are your stories, success and failures? Did anyone jump into the hobby with just one exposure to asl or something like our favorite case blue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fulda Gap was my first game back then we thought it was all about to kick off.
Pretty tricky with ground brigades, air units, air defence zones, untried units, divisional integrity, disengagement, ranged corps artillery, overruns,attack helicopters, heliborne battalions, an airborne division accelerated assaults, nukes, chemical warfare and mobile supply dumps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I jumped in at 12 years old with:

And in turn, I hooked a bunch of buddies on to this and got them to move out of RPG into wargaming with this.

But I guess you could say the basic rules of this game (this was boxed edition, pre-Commander's Rulebook, and only Expansion #1) was like an ASLSK, so it's actually a workable Gateway game for Star Trek nerds (such as myself).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Miner
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was introduced to the hobby in (deleted) with a five player game of Third Reich. I was Italy and I listened to Bob, so it worked out.

Topic and subject matter are key in introducing/getting interested in the hobby. It's very difficult to convert someone when they aren't interested. My wife isn't a big gamer, but if I want a gaming session that includes her, I know Dixit is a good thing. Locally, we converted a Euro using Command and Colors: Ancients, as that hit the sweet spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Ryan
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree that SFB and Fulda Gap are not lighter weight intros into the hobby. There is a lot of discussion about about how to use more basic games to introduce folks to more advanced games, but I am curious if that is the common path people experience to get into the hobby. One thing that helped in the past was the use of programmed instruction (like the original Squad Leader or Magic Realm) which helped make more advanced games accessible. This technique is not the same as having basic rules, advanced rules, and optional rules which many games do use. I don't recall any SPI titles that used it (PI), but I do recall several AH titles that did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

Napoleon at Bay: The Campaign in France, 1814, the OSG edition with the rearing horse and rider from the chasseur a cheval of the Guard) as opposed to the dreadful cartoon of the AH version. Was sold just on the box cover and thoroughly enjoyed the game as well. In my youthful ignorance I kept the stacks stuck together with blue tack. I have never repeated this no matter how many times I've jenga'd them all over the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kreder
United States
Nuevo
California
flag msg tools
Founder of the The Wargame Bootcamp (https://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/962)
badge
My hero Grumpy Bonaparte
mbmbmbmbmb

I run a group called The War Game Boot Camp we demo games at cons and game stores on occasion. I onced had some request

He had never played anything but Monopoly and other basic board games before but said he saw this one and really wanted to try it.

I taught him the basics of the game we played for 2-3 hours and he loved it. Went to the dealers room at the con and bought it and I see him now again, it the only war game he plays (I have tried to show him others)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Swider
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first purchase when I was about 12 was Third Reich. The store owner allowed me to return it and I swapped it for The Russian Campaign. That was easy enough to learn and teach an opponent my age.

I think that beginners have to both deal with the technical rules as well as figuring out strategy, and couldn't advocate going too high up on the complexity scale for a beginner. On the other hand, I don't like teaching dead end games like Memoir or Axis and Allies, as those tend to be comfortable resting points where many gamers never seem to progress any further.

I wish more game designers would have Introductory, Intermediate and Advanced rules. I raised this point on Consimworld amongst the forums for The Library of Napoleonic Battles. Kevin Zucker did have a set of basic rules for The Coming Storm. I hope those rules will be included with the 2015 edition of Napoleon's Last Battles so that new gamers can start with the introductory rules and then graduate to a more sophisticated gaming experience without having to fork out more money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Koskey
United States
Kahului
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Brought my wife into the great world of wargaming with (BITE & BITW).

She loves it... And has since grown to like about 60% of the new war games I bring into the house. I consider that a success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rexbinary
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
I jumped in at 12 years old with:

And in turn, I hooked a bunch of buddies on to this and got them to move out of RPG into wargaming with this.

This is exactly what happened to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Seely
United States
Carmel
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Winner of the C. Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence
mbmbmbmbmb
kiraly wrote:
Case Blue - Yes, really; using 'The Edge of the World' scenario.

Showoff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Coffey
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must have been in a manic stupour when I tried to get my girlfriend interested in board wargaming with White Death. It has so many features and is extremely granular. I should have realized that B. was only trying to share a passion of mine with me. What would have been a good game to introduce her in 1983? Even Panzer Leader might have been a bit much. What would you have suggested?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it counts as a wargame, I introduced my girlfriend to wargaming with Titan, which she really enjoys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Made the abysmal mistake of trying to use Western Desert on a guy who was a big military history buff and kept asking me to teach him about wargames. Four hours and just one turn in he asked if we could take a break for lunch... that was the last time he ever mentioned wargaming. soblue

Dumb idea, I know. I've learned the error of my ways and use much simpler fare these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Neff
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paths of Glory, several different times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Uhrich
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
DE143 Fiske In memory of my stepfather Charles Frank 4/13/1924 - 11/5/2011
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobruk: Tank Battles in North Africa 1942 Chart battles was my introduction to the hobby as a teenager(12 or 13, it's all hazy anymore) by someone who worked for my mother and became a lifelong friend and gaming buddy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will be OCS, but not Case Blue once Reluctant Enemies ships. Ordered two copies specifically for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
ASL actually went over pretty well as my best friend's first wargame. He didn't internalize the rules immediately, but he had the essence after the first game. We have since played lots of Combat Commander and Up Front and a smattering of other titles. He isn't a wargamer, per se, but he can definitely throw down when the mood strikes him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Boeke
United States
La Crescenta
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in college I taught a couple of friends to play Rise and Decline of the Third Reich as their introduction to wargaming. It wasn't a complete disaster because one of them still plays wargames today, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totaled Krieg. The monster appeal drew in gamers who hadn't done wargaming due to the epic story developing. I played the inactive faction (Soviets early, the allies later) and told them I would show them how reach for the goals the set. They loved it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ASL (twice, and ASLSK once). It actually works very well. Of course then you need a more experienced player to tell you exactly when you can do what in each phase, there is no point trying to teach the rules. A good thing with the full ASL game is that players can do almost anything, almost like a RPG, so it is easy for a new player to see what is going on. There isn't a lot of abstraction obscuring things. And the game is almost certain to generate some entertaining story every time you play with way more detail (again, almost like a RPG) than any other wargame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't the one who introduced him, but a wargaming buddy of mine in Japan was introduced to wargames with World in Flames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Escobedo
United States
Rockville
MD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here I Stand
History buffs are fascinated with the description and are willing to give it a shot. Makes for much less gamey play too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingmaker

Tried to get my Diplomacy buddies to try this one. Unfortunately most of them gave up because of the game's relative complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flat Top (Avalon Hill edition). It was my first real wargame, and I loved it. I've had success now with 3 different people using it as an intro game, once with the standard game, and once with 2 new players and me acting as GM for completely hidden movement. It helped that they only needed a high level overview of the rules since I was taking care of most of it 'behind the scenes'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.