Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin von Allmen
Switzerland
Zuchwil
Zuchwil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello.
I would like to play a Civilization or 4X-Game.
I like Antike, but other Civ/4X-Games are complex.
Did you know a good civ/4x game, where you can do a lot of things BUT its simple or easy to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Waller
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Nations

The game was designed to take the complex rules of civ games (they actually worked w/ Chvatil to simplify/streamline Through the Ages) and make them simple. It is a simple game to teach and pick up. Doesn't have the broad civilization building feel like the more complex games but it looks like it is what you may be looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Nations comes to mind. Although, it doesn't involve moving units around a map if that's what you're looking for. It's a card-drafting game where you build your nation using cards representing military units, buildings, wonders, battles, colonies, etc. It's basically a simplified version of Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization. The rules are straightforward and the game plays reasonably quickly (at least in solo mode) for a civ game. I can usually knock off a solitaire game in about 75 - 90 minutes, including set-up time. I believe you could play in under 2 1/2 hours even if you played with a full group of players (as long as none of them were AP prone).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
jwallerrocks wrote:
Check out Nations

The game was designed to take the complex rules of civ games (they actually worked w/ Chvatil to simplify/streamline Through the Ages) and make them simple. It is a simple game to teach and pick up. Doesn't have the broad civilization building feel like the more complex games but it looks like it is what you may be looking for.

Wow. You were posting while I was still typing. At least I'm not the only one with this opinion . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin von Allmen
Switzerland
Zuchwil
Zuchwil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok,i willcheck Nations.
More recs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seal Bludgeoner
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
This is an area where board games fall short. Get on the computer for this experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wooster
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
"He who runs with aggression, walks without dignity."
mbmbmbmbmb
Seal Bludgeoner wrote:
This is an area where board games fall short. Get on the computer for this experience.

thumbsup Civ 4 on the PC/Mac is still king IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin von Allmen
Switzerland
Zuchwil
Zuchwil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
by the way: i dont like civ4 on pc but i love civilization from sid meier as boardgame

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wooster
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
"He who runs with aggression, walks without dignity."
mbmbmbmbmb
Metamorphose wrote:
by the way: i dont like civ4 on pc but i love civilization from sid meier as boardgame

If that's the case, you might want to check out Clash of Cultures if you haven't already. It's got some good reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
temujin1206 wrote:
Metamorphose wrote:

If that's the case, you might want to check out Clash of Cultures if you haven't already. It's got some good reviews.

Was about to add this one, yeah

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Lagasse
United States
Derry
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This might be a little out of the wheelhouse of what you're looking for, but check out Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age. It's a good, quick, civ-building dice game. Pretty simple to play and plays in about 30 minutes. Doesn't have the complexity or options of large Civ type games, but gives you that quick fix of Civ building quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could be worth checking out Tiny Epic Kingdoms (currently on kickstarter)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seal Bludgeoner
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
haslo wrote:
temujin1206 wrote:
Metamorphose wrote:

Avoid Clash of Cultures. It is just pretending to be a computer game, but you have to do all the heavy lifting. It is fiddly, has poor components (they actually melt!), little interaction and finicky rules. It seems like strategies are abundant, but there is a generally accepted route. In fact, it is the perfect example of why civ games should be left to the computer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Seal Bludgeoner wrote:
haslo wrote:
temujin1206 wrote:
Metamorphose wrote:

Avoid Clash of Cultures. It is just pretending to be a computer game, but you have to do all the heavy lifting. It is fiddly, has poor components (they actually melt!), little interaction and finicky rules. It seems like strategies are abundant, but there is a generally accepted route. In fact, it is the perfect example of why civ games should be left to the computer.

And my experience is the opposite.

By heavy lifting, he means keep track of your bonuses and such from techs you've discovered. Yes, you have to do this but it becomes straightforward after about 5 plays (I rarely forget an advantage anymore).

It is not fiddly, especially if you properly organize the components. Agricola is WAY fiddlier and it's been a long, long while since I've seen anyone say not to play that for this reason. I can have CoC setup in less than 10 minutes for a 4p game

There is plenty of interaction.... there are trading rules, there are techs like trade routes that allow you to take advantage of how your opponent(s) set up their empires, there is military battles and keeping yourself competitive in a Cold War scenario is, like all good civ games, the best way to a non-military victory. If you want to go military, you can. There are other ways I haven't mentioned either, like attacking your opponents..... with Barbarians!

And finicky rules? Please. If you like SMC:TBG, this basically cuts all the fat out of them. Look. Here are all the rules:

Finally, yes, in the first printing of the game, some of the yellow components were known to leak. The current printing has purportedly fixed this issue. The only less-than-stellar components are the wonders, which folks have taken it upon themselves to offer blingy alternatives.

Oh, and there are plenty of paths to victory. I, too, thought there was one path until I decided to try a different one.... that worked. Later, I tried another; good gravy, it worked too!

His complaints with the game are his opinion. I've found it to be one of the greatest 4X boardgames I've ever played, a game with simple/thematic rules and gameplay that doesn't take forever, that is accessible, looks great on the table, and is a ton of fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clark
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/157735/my-best-civilizatio...

You need to work out if you are interested in a 'civilization' game (e.g. Tempus, Civilization, Nations) or a board game inspired by RTS computer games like Age of Empires (e.g. Civ Meier's Civ, Clash of Cultures, Eclipse (to a lesser extent)). The two types of games are very different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seal Bludgeoner
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Moe45673 wrote:
Seal Bludgeoner wrote:
haslo wrote:
temujin1206 wrote:
Metamorphose wrote:

And my experience is the opposite.

By heavy lifting, he means keep track of your bonuses and such from techs you've discovered. Yes, you have to do this but it becomes straightforward after about 5 plays (I rarely forget an advantage anymore).

It is not fiddly, especially if you properly organize the components. Agricola is WAY fiddlier and it's been a long, long while since I've seen anyone say not to play that for this reason. I can have CoC setup in less than 10 minutes for a 4p game

There is plenty of interaction.... there are trading rules, there are techs like trade routes that allow you to take advantage of how your opponent(s) set up their empires, there is military battles and keeping yourself competitive in a Cold War scenario is, like all good civ games, the best way to a non-military victory. If you want to go military, you can. There are other ways I haven't mentioned either, like attacking your opponents..... with Barbarians!

And finicky rules? Please. If you like SMC:TBG, this basically cuts all the fat out of them. Look. Here are all the rules:

Finally, yes, in the first printing of the game, some of the yellow components were known to leak. The current printing has purportedly fixed this issue. The only less-than-stellar components are the wonders, which folks have taken it upon themselves to offer blingy alternatives.

Oh, and there are plenty of paths to victory. I, too, thought there was one path until I decided to try a different one.... that worked. Later, I tried another; good gravy, it worked too!

His complaints with the game are his opinion. I've found it to be one of the greatest 4X boardgames I've ever played, a game with simple/thematic rules and gameplay that doesn't take forever, that is accessible, looks great on the table, and is a ton of fun

Okay, if you like winning games without any direct conflict, don't mind spending most of the game reading text on cards, and don't mind spending extra money upgrading sub-standard components, then maybe this game if for you.

If you can look past the brain-drain that happens as players try to calculate their three actions per turn, then this might work. The rulebook is only two pages, so how hard can it be?

Make sure that you buy some glue to keep the boats together. Oh! And you'll need a sharp knife to clean all the flash off the plastic. The army size is limited too, but that shouldn't matter because you can attempt victory without even engaging in battle.

But what is with the fog of war? I get it on the computer, but it doesn't make thematic sense on a board game. If one civilization reveals the fog, why should the other see it?

I warned you. Just play a rts game on the computer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Peloponnes, except that it's so hard to find now, that if I found a copy I would snatch it up for myself. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me CoC covers the simplified but epic Civ type of game although the Civ part will be more in the expansion. The base game is more of a 4x game with a Civ style player board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.